Did you mean: 

Dynamic Block + Attribute + Annotative = Problem

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Sam_R
2847 Views, 5 Replies

Dynamic Block + Attribute + Annotative = Problem

Hi All!

I've been getting a lot of info at these forums but this is, finally, my first post. Thank you all for the help.

My problem now lies with the creation of a dynamic, annotative block that contains an attribute.

(Attached) The block is a label to place electrical fittings symbols (also anno. blocks) that will be at a specific masonry course (C# - attribute). It works as a leader (using polar and move actions) and it stretches to create more or less “slots” for the fittings (using stretch and array).

All is good until annotative scales come into play. Even not being annotative and being locked in position the attribute doesn’t move in sync with the rest of the block in the non-current scales.

Be great if someone could help me fix the attribute in place.

Additionally: as it is now I will have to manually move the Electrical Fitting blocks to the “slots” at the label and adjust them if annotative scale changes along the way. I tried doing the whole thing with a table that allows me to just right click a cell and insert blocks. The problem is that tables are not annotative and they don’t allow me to perform a block count inside the cell (as far as I know). If anyone has some ideas to make this “insert block” action as easy and fast as possible keeping the possibility of it being annotative (all the blocks scaling in sync) and allowing a block count it would be great.

Thank you all!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
steven-g
in reply to: Sam_R

I don't know if this will help but read through this post http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/dynamic-blocks/annotative-dynamic-blocks/td-p/3426107,

There is a response on page 2 about problems using stretch on annotative items and that move is a solution, I did have a play about with your block and one issue appeared to be having the insert point not at zero of the block, but I still couldn't find a definate solution. but I think maybe altering the base point and using a move action (or some combination) may fix the issue. I never use annotative anything for this very reason.

Message 3 of 6
Sam_R
in reply to: steven-g

Thank you Steven!

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

I had a look at the post you linked. It feels that the problems are related but I couldn't get an answer from it.

In the mean while I've been testing this problem and I managed to, at least, isolate the problem. As you can check in the attached file the wierd movement of the attributes come only when you have a dynamic action acting on the base point (being it steach or move). In this case all objects move along with it (base point) but the att's on non current scales move with a scale factor.

Preasently (I'd like to keep working on this but I have some time constraints) I made it so the basepoint is on the label rectangle and the streach action is afecting only the tip of the "leader". It doesn't behave exactly as a leader and I have the same problem as the guy in the post you linked - the different annotative scales don't behave independently.

I also tryed to create a Multileader style with a user block but my block but it loses all dynamic characteristics. This could have been a solution for that guy but it doesn't work for me as I lose the array and streach actions. If not for that it would be perfect and much simpler than emulating a leader.

Does anyone know of any solution for keeping dynamic parameters in a user block of a multileader?

....I'll make a new post about this "insert block" function...

Thank you!!

Message 4 of 6
kadmonkee8

when dealing with attributes inside dynamic , Annotative blocks you will occassionally need to go to "BATTMAN"  Block Attribute Manager and Sync all instances of that block.

also if you want to manage your annotative scales more effectively I would reccommend turning off the system variable "selectionannodisplay" = 0

if you require having that on then consider sync scale positions on the Annotate tab of the ribbon.

Message 5 of 6
Sam_R
in reply to: kadmonkee8

Thank you Kadmonkee!

It's true that if you attsync the block at every scale things get back to normal. But I would like to avoid this simply because we have a lot of people working that don't really know that muchabout blocks, attributes, etc. .I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

Is there a way to keep the attributes synced at all times?

I'm introducing annotative scales in the office and I always wonder if it is better to have selectionannodisplay set to 0. I work with it on 1 because it makes it clearer for me plus we don't tend to have the same object at many scales so it's not that confusing.

Do you work with 0?

Message 6 of 6
kadmonkee8

it is a preference, some people do not like to see the ghosting of the other available associated scales.

if it helps the transistion for you explain it all happens behind the scenes and show examples often of its function and effectiveness.

Anno Scale.JPG this image is from version 2015 blue displays it is on and automatically adjusts as you change the annotative scale 1:1

when off the active annotative blocks will have to be manually set to the new annotative scale.

so it does come down to preference in your workflow

each time you adjust the scale, as long as you havent moved the annotative block, or attribute you should be ok (typically)

each blocks attribute may vary by properties.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost