Did you mean: 

DXF Format

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Ketankumar
377 Views, 10 Replies

DXF Format

Hello,

I would like to know that When I save file in DXF format, It is giving 30,31,32 Group codes also.

I am confused as there will be only 2D entities in DXF file, why group code regarding Z co-ordinate is available in DXF file?

Thanks in Advance...

Regards,

Ketan Lalcheta

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mzakiralam
in reply to: Ketankumar

I think this is because of the format of the DXF, you will always see 3 coordinates for every entities. but for 2D entites z co ordinate will always be 0.
Message 3 of 11
Ketankumar

Please correct me if I am wrong.

AutoDesk supports only 2D DXFs as we are not able to save Any Parts (3D) as DXF from CATIA or even from Inventor.

Only drawings (2D) can be saved in DXF and hence it is confusing why it is required to have Z co-ordinate.

Message 4 of 11
pendean

More Likely those programs' object types don't exist in DXF and are translated to "similar" objects instead.
What are you trying to do exactly? That is more likely to help than a philosophical discussion of the DXF format.
Message 5 of 11
Ketankumar
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for concern on this topic.

I intended to create DXF file for Inventor part but not able to create. Then I generated drawing and exported to DXF format. While analysing the DXF file, There was provision for Z co-ordinate. So, I am confused that what is usefullness of Z co-ordinate in 2D DXF file?

In addition to that, I would like to know that does AutoDesk provide DXF for 3D entities?

Hope I have cleared your doubt.

Thanks,

Ketan

Message 6 of 11
rkmcswain

@Ketankumar wrote:

AutoDesk supports only 2D DXFs as we are not able to save Any Parts (3D) as DXF from CATIA or even from Inventor.

Here is a 3d object that I created and exported to DXF, then I opened the DXF in DWG Trueview.

asample.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 11
pendean

You might want to post in the INVENTOR forum and ask your Inventor peers how to create 3D DXF file from that program (it may not be an option).
Message 8 of 11
artc2

There really isn't such a thing as a 2D dxf file. The DXF file format is always 3D just as the DWG file format is. The file may contain only 2D entities that all lie on the same plane, but they are still considered to be in a 3D space
Message 9 of 11
hericson

Lines, polylines, blocks and other AutoCAD entities can be 3D objects.

Message 10 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: artc2

Hi,

@artc2 

I guess 7 years too late 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 11 of 11
artc2
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Oops. This thread came to me in an email and I responded. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the posting dates. Sorry about that. 😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost