AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Valued Contributor
jwscad
Message 1 of 8 (620 Views)
Accepted Solution

DWGPROPS and AutoCAD LT

620 Views, 7 Replies
10-02-2012 02:27 PM

We are working with another company who is using AutoCAD LT and it doesn't sound like they want to explore using DWGPROPS. We have realized the major benefit of the custom properties tab under DWGPROPS through the use of custom fields. Since we are sharing a template we don't want things to not work or look messed up on their side.

My first question is there full functionality of DWGPROPS custom fields using AutoCAD LT? If not, what happens when you open a drawing containing custom properties on AutoCAD LT? And lastly, is there a function or command to convert all the fields in a drawing to text, similar to how you convert a field to text by right clicking it and selecting "Convert field to text"

Thanks

John

I'll just work on the first question regarding DWGPROPS.  There is no problem going back and forth between the full version of AutoCAD or LT with custom fields.  I do it all the time.  Once a field is created and saved with the drawing it will be good for anyone who opens it.

DWGPROPS has been around since AutoCAD 2000.

Dave.

Distinguished Mentor
steven-g
Message 2 of 8 (610 Views)

Re: DWGPROPS and AutoCAD LT

10-02-2012 09:55 PM in reply to: jwscad

Post a drawing I can let you know if what you are wanting causes problems, DWGPROPS is available in Autocad LT as is support for fields, so I can't see that use of those would be a problem, unless the other company needs to edit them and refuse to do so.

Regards Steven Gray
Setting Out (Joinery Manufacturing)
Autocad 2013LT
Windows 7 professional
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 3 of 8 (590 Views)

10-03-2012 07:57 AM in reply to: jwscad

>>... is there a function or command to convert all the fields in a drawing to text...<<
EXPLODE command.

It appears the other firm does not wish to tackle your documentation requirement: are they contractually obligated, or is this you just hope they will implement?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Contributor
jwscad
Message 4 of 8 (569 Views)

10-03-2012 06:37 PM in reply to: pendean

We are working with their template so are somewhat constrained on that end. I'm assuming your explode comment was a joke right? Im going to send them their template back with some custom properties and hopefully they will get the picture.

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 5 of 8 (555 Views)

10-04-2012 12:58 AM in reply to: jwscad

I'll just work on the first question regarding DWGPROPS.  There is no problem going back and forth between the full version of AutoCAD or LT with custom fields.  I do it all the time.  Once a field is created and saved with the drawing it will be good for anyone who opens it.

DWGPROPS has been around since AutoCAD 2000.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 8 (542 Views)

10-04-2012 06:31 AM in reply to: jwscad

You might just have to spend the time and effort to show them how to use it if they are not obliged to do so by contract.

Show a lot of patience :smileyhappy:

BTW, no joke: you can EXPLODE a FIELD and turn it into a TEXT object, content remain intact to boot. No special tool needed. Always been that way I believe. Isn't that what you asked for?

Valued Contributor
jwscad
Message 7 of 8 (529 Views)

10-05-2012 03:26 PM in reply to: pendean

Yes I am aware of the explode command and what it does to a custom field but if your custom field is in a multi leader your multi leader is useless once exploded. Thanks for the help.

John

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 8 of 8 (485 Views)

10-08-2012 09:39 AM in reply to: jwscad

Not what you asked initially :smileyhappy:

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.