Did you mean: 

DWG file won't Load

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
hillamng
2501 Views, 5 Replies

DWG file won't Load

Hi All,

I need some help here. I have an autocad file i've been working on, but now when I try to open it, it can't load contents. How can I get around this? Its a bit painfull because my backup does the same thing too.

Thanks

Hillary

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: hillamng

Hi,

>> but now when I try to open it, it can't load contents

Can you give us the correct message? I don't believe that AutoCAD writes "can't load contents" to the commandline area!

>> my backup does the same thing too.

Do you mean the BAK file or do you mean the DWG file copied by a backup system?

(if first then try second, if second then try first)

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 6
hillamng

Hello Afred,

Thanks for the reply. I incidentally didnt mean it displays the message "cant load content". The actual scenario is that the file wont load, no comments displayed, no warnings at all. It doesnt load. It starts like its loading and quickly snaps back to the original window.

About the backup, I dont mean the BAK file, I mean the dwg file I had copied onto another computer.

I would've attached the file but it can't,because its a few KBs above the limit.

Anyway, I cant elaborate more. Thanks for your help.I appreciate

Message 4 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I would've attached the file but it can't,because its a few KBs above the limit

And if you ZIP the drawing, is it then small enough for upload?

What you can try:

- command _RECOVER or _RECOVERALL (if there are XRefs referenced in the DWG) instead of _OPEN.

- command _INSERT, so create a new drawing and try to insert the defect drawing into the new one

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 6
hillamng
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred,

Thanks for the help so far. The _Recover/_Recoverall command seems to recover the contents, however they are in a state I can't use. Every single little detail is exploded, and reset including the hatches, polylines and dimensions. All blocks are deleted too.

However, with the _insert command, the program crashes....See attachment.

Thanks again

Message 6 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

try to upload the drawing, if to large for this site then use any of the free upload-sites.

If you got the data back using _RECOVER then it should bring it in without any changes, so objects should not be exploded afterwards. Maybe one of us can get rid of that (at least with other tricks).

Look to PM too 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost