AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
indianadarren
Message 1 of 13 (1,870 Views)

Dimensioning in Isometric

1870 Views, 12 Replies
12-07-2011 11:12 PM

Why do the measurements not come out correctly? See the layout and you'll see what I mean.

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 2 of 13 (1,839 Views)

Re: Dimensioning in Isometric

12-08-2011 06:47 AM in reply to: indianadarren

Who wants to dimensioning 3d model in PAPERSPACE?

Only a few.

Active Contributor
CSEnginuities
Message 3 of 13 (1,811 Views)

12-10-2011 12:26 AM in reply to: indianadarren

Although a dimension occurs on the current X-Y plane, your actual Point A & Point B selections are moving through 3D space -- meaning X-Y-Z axes.  In your model tab, the ucs you have set up is oriented so that your 36" dimension is on the X-Y plane, and you also see the Z-axis perpendicular to this plane.  This is how you know you're in the 3D environment.  In paperspace you only have X-Y like a piece of paper in your hand, so that's the problem here.  Your selecting the center of circles in paperspace for what should truly be 36" apart is actually just two spots in your X-Y plane.  An iso or perspective view in paperspace or on a hard copy piece of paper cannot dimensioned true.  Hope this makes sense.  The previous commentor was right in stating you should keep your dimension in model space if you need to dimension a skewed view. The way they scaled to do what you're asking is way to tedious to be an efficient use of your time. 

In top or side views, again, dimensioning a model in paperspace is technically not you touching the object at these exact locations but really just you selecting two points on this X-Y plane in front of the object -- that happen to align with the points you intend to dimension. 

Clara
----------
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Distinguished Mentor
skintsubby
Message 4 of 13 (1,796 Views)

12-11-2011 06:31 PM in reply to: Patchy

Patchy wrote:

Only a few.

Patchy...

Come on, you know loads of folk do it. Just cause it doesn't work for you :smileysurprised:

Jeezo man there's loads of post about this on these newsgroups. you're just looking to wind someone up:smileyvery-happy:

We're Oil and Gas / Process and we do it in almost everything. We create master model, and use it for xref in everything else. All detailing is done from the model, with ALL annotations in PS

Mark

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 5 of 13 (1,776 Views)

12-11-2011 07:20 PM in reply to: skintsubby

Who said it doesn't work for me? I showed how it's done if you LOOK.

If it works for you do it.

Distinguished Mentor
skintsubby
Message 6 of 13 (1,768 Views)

12-11-2011 07:28 PM in reply to: Patchy

Patchy.

I saw what you done

When I said "It doesn't work for you" I meant in a work situation.

I "Assumed" (me bad) from your answer that you didn't work that way. That was all

Apologies for not stating more clearly what I meant and making assumptions

Mark

mnsiegmund
Message 7 of 13 (1,211 Views)

04-14-2013 07:47 AM in reply to: indianadarren

I saw what you did but how did you get it to do that? I can't reproduce what you did. Specific instructions would really help.

I moved your object so it wasn't at 0,0,0. Unlocked the viewport and moved the object back into view. of course your red dimension wasn't in the correct place now. I tried grabbing the end grips and repositioning it but it tells me the object isn't parallel to the UCS. How did you even draw this if it's not parallel to the UCS?

I need to dimension all the time in paperspace. The models I do have 10 or 11 tabs with bill of materials and fittings and pipe and equipment called out. Sometimes it takes several sheets to show everything that is required. These are typically fabrication drawings for someone to build the item. Mostly I dimension plan or elevation views. But there are instances where if I can it to give the correct dimensions it would be much simpler and clearer to dimension an isometric view. Also when I do the dimension in model space in the isometric view, the dimension text is not displayed where I want it. It is not in a good place to show in the view port and normally not any where near the part I am dimensioning. See attachment.

I have taken one sheet from a model that has 12 sheets in total and attached it. The original drawing is now around 14 MB. This is typical for what I do.

Please look at the dimension in model space. All the dimension sin paper space are incorrect. How can I get the dimensions to be positioned like they are in paperspace but show the correct dimension? I could manually correct each one in paperspace but then they no longer change when corrects are made. This is not that big a deal since I don't dimension or annotate until the model is complete.

Suggestions would be welcome. thanks

*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 8 of 13 (1,187 Views)

04-15-2013 06:05 AM in reply to: indianadarren

Why bad?

The dimension is measuring the projected distance across 2 3d points, not the actual distance between the 3d points.  That is why dimensions for arbitrary views (your view is not an isometric) should be done in model space.  Patchy's solution is odd to say the least and involves dimensions, probably cut and pasted from model space.

If you really want to dimension "ISOMETRICS" in paper space, set up a viewport with a true isometric view and then set up a dimension style with a linear scale factor of 1.22474487.

Make sure that dimassoc is set to 2.  This will create accurate dimensions only for the 3 isometric axes.  IMO dimensions should be on orthogonal views and pretty pictures should be non-dimensioned or dimensioned with letters (A, B....)

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 9 of 13 (1,171 Views)

04-15-2013 08:07 AM in reply to: dbroad

dbroad wrote:

IMO dimensions should be on orthogonal views and pretty pictures should be non-dimensioned or dimensioned with letters (A, B....)

Y14.41 Digital Product Definition specifies dimensioning the 3d model.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASME_Y14.41-2003

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/3D_Annotations.htm

Autodesk Inventor has a toggle between true dimension and projected dimension on 2D drawing.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
mnsiegmund
Message 10 of 13 (1,148 Views)

04-15-2013 04:43 PM in reply to: dbroad

Thank you for the information. I will try setting up a dimension style for isometric dimensions.

What do you mean my drawing is not an isometric view? One view is a NE isometric and the other view is a SE isometric. The eviews were chosen from the standard views on the ribbon and if you go into model space thru the viewport, the upper left corner says the same thing.

How are these not isometric views?

dimassoc is set to 2.

what are  IMO dimensions?

thanks for the help

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.