AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Valued Contributor
dunc1n
Message 1 of 6 (2,374 Views)

dimension text wont scale to suit "DIMSCALE"

2374 Views, 5 Replies
02-15-2011 07:43 AM

Hey folks,

We recently just updated our SEED file to suit our new standard.

Everything is working fine except for the dimensions.

If I draw a box and give it a linear dimension, it looks ok BUT if I want to scale that dimension style up it doesnt play ball.

I have a box with a dimension on it and I type in the command "DIMSTYLE", then I modify the active standard, and click on the "fit" tab, I then change "Use Overall Scale Of:" to 10. Then I click ok and close the dimension style manager.

The result I get is that the dimension arrows and lines and spacing have scaled up but the text just stays at its original size!?!?!

How on earth do I fix this????

Thanks in advance

Mentor
neaton
Message 2 of 6 (2,360 Views)

Re: dimension text wont scale to suit "DIMSCALE"

02-15-2011 09:01 AM in reply to: dunc1n

Does it change if you update the dimension by the Update command from the Dimension tab on the Ribbon? See attached.

Nancy

dunc1n wrote:

Hey folks,

We recently just updated our SEED file to suit our new standard.

Everything is working fine except for the dimensions.

If I draw a box and give it a linear dimension, it looks ok BUT if I want to scale that dimension style up it doesnt play ball.

I have a box with a dimension on it and I type in the command "DIMSTYLE", then I modify the active standard, and click on the "fit" tab, I then change "Use Overall Scale Of:" to 10. Then I click ok and close the dimension style manager.

The result I get is that the dimension arrows and lines and spacing have scaled up but the text just stays at its original size!?!?!

How on earth do I fix this????

Thanks in advance

Mentor
neaton
Message 3 of 6 (2,358 Views)

02-15-2011 09:05 AM in reply to: neaton

What was I thinking! Try using a textstyle that is set to 0.0 for the size instead of a specific size like 0.10. Set your dimension font size in the dimension text tab.

Nancy

*Pro
Modman_4
Message 4 of 6 (2,356 Views)

02-15-2011 09:10 AM in reply to: dunc1n

Could be a number of reasons. Your dimension style uses a text style. Open that text style and see if you have entered a height for it. If so, then it won't increase past that height. The solution is to give it a height of zero in you text style manager.

Another possibility might be related to annotative features. If you don't use them, your CANNOSCALE is probably set to the default of 1:1. And if you inadvertently are using an annotative text style, perhaps if the paperspace height factor isn't the one being adjusted, then the text height you see isn't adjusting because of that. Just lettuce snow if you'd like a quick rundown on using annotative text and dimensions. It's a lot quicker to change the appearance of your dimension parts when your viewport scale changes, if you create an annotative dimension first...

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! :smileyhappy:
Valued Contributor
dunc1n
Message 5 of 6 (2,304 Views)

02-16-2011 01:09 AM in reply to: dunc1n

Hey, thanks for your help folks. I managed to get it sorted. I just changed the text style to be annotative and that solved everything!!!

Thanks again folks

*Pro
Modman_4
Message 6 of 6 (2,285 Views)

02-16-2011 08:39 AM in reply to: dunc1n

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! :smileyhappy:
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.