Did you mean: 

Dimension text override search

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
5081 Views, 7 Replies

Dimension text override search

Good day.

I am trying find all dimensions on my drawing, where the text has been over-ridden.

I tried to use the quick select tool for the search, had no luck at all.

Do you have any suggestions on how to do that.

Regards Mathew

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
hwalker
in reply to: Anonymous

Quick select is the way to go BUT it will be a little bit long winded. If you've overwritten the dimensions with numbers it shouldn't take too long, if you've overwritten with just letters it will take a while.

Select all your dimensions and then choose quick select

Scroll the the list you can select by until you find TEXT OVERRIDE

Change from EQUALS to WILDCARD MATCH.

Now in the wild card match put in *0* that will find any dimension which has been overridden with 0 anywhere in there.

I also suggest that when it has found those dimensions you move them out of the way somewhere, and then select the remaining dimensions

Do the same for numbers 1 to 9

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 8
Kent1Cooper

A Search will lead to lots of threads, such as this, which looks like it will identify all those with overrides, or this, which looks like it will just remove all overrides.  On another site, there's this.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 8
KLYPHY

Here's an entry I made into my AutoCAD Notes:

DETECT MODIFIED DIMENSION: 2011.11.01.TE:

Invoke the DIMREASSOC Express Tool (or DIMREASSOCIATE, if you like typing out even longer words).
You can select all of the entities in the drawing, and DIMREASSOC will create a selection set of only those which have been changed, allowing you to see them more easily.

From Mistress of the Dorkness: “Finding Modified Dimensions in AutoCAD”: 2011-10-25

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

@hwalker wrote:

Quick select is the way to go BUT it will be a little bit long winded. If you've overwritten the dimensions with numbers it shouldn't take too long, if you've overwritten with just letters it will take a while.

Select all your dimensions and then choose quick select

Scroll the the list you can select by until you find TEXT OVERRIDE

Change from EQUALS to WILDCARD MATCH.

Now in the wild card match put in *0* that will find any dimension which has been overridden with 0 anywhere in there.

I also suggest that when it has found those dimensions you move them out of the way somewhere, and then select the remaining dimensions

Do the same for numbers 1 to 9

I did everything you suggested and thought of something that might make it even easier. Instead of assigning values ​​from 0 to 9, simply search once for the value *.* (point), since this is the common character among all dimensions. By doing this, we were able to locate and select all the dimensions that were edited by text override

Message 6 of 8
vladimir_michl

You can use "?*" for the wildcard search - matches any non-empty string. See:

https://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=3832

Vladimir Michl, www.cadstudio.cz

Message 7 of 8
Erense

May is ask why you want to filter out the dimensions with a text override?

If it is to remove the text override, just select all dimesions and type the contents as <>.

The <> always gives the 'original' value of measurement.

I always use this method for extra text options like <>mm to give an occasional dimension a units view.

Therefor the value changes when changing the associated object, but your override still remains.

Perhaps this might help you.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,

Edwin Rense
Cadac Group AEC BV
Supporting Consultant AEC
Cadac Group .
Message 8 of 8
Markadd
in reply to: Erense

PWGSC for example does not allow Dimension Overrides.  If you global reassign them using <> then you lose all information that has been input into these dimensions, and thus have to start from scratch.  So you want to find, isolate, cut the contents and paste it as a text entity.  Just one good example.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost