Dimension lines

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
drc_ol
741 Views, 18 Replies

Dimension lines

Hi,

I am having troubles with my dimensions lines. I am using blocks and dimension constraints
in objects with dimensions lines associates and grabbed by snap to this objects.
The problem is when i move my objects, everything follows unless the dimension lines who stays in their originals positions,
who is strange because regularly they follow the alterations made. Someone may know why?

Regards,

David

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
pendean
in reply to: drc_ol

A very basic question: are you using osnaps to 'snap' the dimensions to the objects?
Message 3 of 19
drc_ol
in reply to: pendean

Yes, of course. I attach a really simple example to demonstrate what happens. What am i doing wrong?

I know it must be simple..

Message 4 of 19
doni49

It appears that some points are not in fact snapped to any objects.  I think you need to double check that.

Notice in the top version you have a dim of 116 and in the bottom version it's 216?  The right dim line is snapped to the box and the left side is not.  The 392 and 502 dims aren't snapped to it either.

AcadDims.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 19
drc_ol
in reply to: doni49

They are snapped to the object ( midpoint in vertical), i just did that to see if it wasn't the fact of two dimension lines snapped in the same point was causing the problem. I put it again in the angle and the same happens ( top scheme).

Exemplo.jpg

Message 6 of 19
vivifira

I think you might want to look at the pad spacing for the dim. Look in the properities for vertical and horizontal spacing. I noticed the dead space between the 1 in 116 is about the same as the dead space for the 2 in 216. the only difference I see is that the 2 is wider than the 1.

Message 7 of 19
pendean

Post a DWG file please, not a useless picture.
Message 8 of 19
drc_ol
in reply to: pendean

I don't find this pad spacing in the properties of dimstyle. Could you be more specific?

I attached a .dwg file, but if you try this example in your Autocad the dimensions go along with the objects?

Message 9 of 19
GrantsPirate

Turn ANNOMONITOR on by setting it to 2 (or pick the AM button at the bottom middle of your screen. If you see yellow warning symbols then you haven't snapped to the object and it is floating in space.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 10 of 19
jggerth1

@drc_ol wrote:

They are snapped to the object ( midpoint in vertical), i just did that to see if it wasn't the fact of two dimension lines snapped in the same point was causing the problem. I put it again in the angle and the same happens ( top scheme).

MIDPoint is a derived Osnap.  Generally speaking using Osnaps that tie to geometry features of an object (ENDPoint, NODe, CENter) are more reliable IME

Message 11 of 19
drc_ol

I think Annomonitor is only a feature in 2013 and above, this command doesn't appear to me.

Well, in the new example attached i understood that if i don't put the thickness of my object there is no problem with the dimension of the space between my object following the movement of them (A), it is strange.

Message 12 of 19
drc_ol

Anyone know how to solve this? It is really bothering me.

Message 13 of 19
doni49

What specific command did you use to place these dims?  I used DIMLINEAR and snapped to the endpoints of the blocks and when I move the blocks, the dims follow right along.

See attached.

EDIT:  I just noticed that you posted a second version of your file.  The one I downloaded and tested with was your first version (message #8 in this thread -- http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2010-2011-2012/Dimension-lines/m-p/4834373#M104707).

EDIT2:  I forgot to mention, I did this using C3D 2012.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 14 of 19
drc_ol

I use Autocad 2012 draft&annotation. 

It is very strange, in your file it works just fine, your dimensions follows the objects..

I use dimlinear or the shortcut in Annotation, i don t understand

Message 15 of 19
drc_ol

* And i snap the dimensions to the endpoints of the objects too..

Message 16 of 19
drc_ol

Just a question, why you used a new layer?

Message 17 of 19
doni49

@drc_ol wrote:

Just a question, why you used a new layer?

The CADD mgr here has it set up such that anytime we create a new dimension, it should go on our standard dim layer.  He created an autolisp reactor that does it automatically.

I'm still curious what specific command you used to create your dims.  Since I was obviously able to get it to work in your file, there has to be something different between what you're doing and what I'm doing.

EDIT:  I just saw your reply in which you told me you used DIMLINEAR too.  I didn't realize you had three replies (I only saw the last two).

Don Ireland

Message 18 of 19
pendean

What is DIMASSOC set to in your file? It should be 2
Message 19 of 19
drc_ol

Yes, my DIMASSOC is set to 2.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost