AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Distinguished Contributor
mrdavie
Message 1 of 12 (14,248 Views)
Accepted Solution

Different Layer States for Different Viewports?

14248 Views, 11 Replies
07-03-2011 10:27 AM

I have two viewports in a drawing file. One is for existing and new conditions and one is for existing and demolition conditions. So, I want one viewport to freeze some layers and the other viewport to freeze other layers. After picking and freezing certain layers in each viewport, I created New Layer States - One called New Floor Plan and the other called Demo Floor Plan. When I click inside one of the viewports and select the appropriate layer state it changes both viewports to the same layer state. That is not what I want. Is it possible to have one layer state in one viewport and another layer state in another viewport?

Product Support
luconceicao
Message 2 of 12 (14,225 Views)

Re: Different Layer States for Different Viewports?

07-04-2011 06:56 AM in reply to: mrdavie

Hi,

Please check the drawing attached, is this what you want?

I created the viewports on the left first.

I enabled the top left viewport and froze the desired layers and created the layer state vp 1

Did the same for the lower left viewport, created layer state vp 2.

Then created the viewports on the right, enabled the one on top and applied the state vp 1.

Next, I enabled the bottom right viewport and assigned layer state vp 2 to it.

Is this what you are trying to accomplish?

Cheers,

Luciane

Distinguished Contributor
mrdavie
Message 3 of 12 (14,218 Views)

07-04-2011 09:06 AM in reply to: luconceicao

I downloaded your layer states.dwg file and opened it and discovered that the following sequence works fine: activate viewport > open layer properties manager > layer states manager > select layer state > click restore, it works as expected. However, if I activate a viewport and then, in the layers ribbon, click on the arrow to list the layer states and then select one everything gets screwed up. I thought selecting a layer state in the ribbon was a shortcut to setting a layer state, but that does not work.

Your sample drawing enabled me to figure out what steps I need to take to get my viewports to display the correct layers. Thanks.

Product Support
luconceicao
Message 4 of 12 (14,216 Views)

07-04-2011 09:13 AM in reply to: mrdavie

Oh, I see what you mean.

I will report this to our developers and hope that using the Layer Manager is a good solution for you.

Best regards,

Luciane

dcongram
Message 5 of 12 (13,939 Views)

10-26-2011 09:12 AM in reply to: mrdavie

May I get a more step-by-step answer to the same question (also, I can't see the dwg you refer to) -  how do I establish different layer states for different viewports AND how do I make sure these layer states remain with that viewport no matter what I do in model space or with other viewports? ~ thank you.

Contributor
marianne.hebnes
Message 6 of 12 (13,911 Views)

10-28-2011 02:51 AM in reply to: mrdavie

If you are using the Solid view command, it asks for: "view name" at the end of the command.

Choose different names on each VP, for example 1, 2, 3.

Check the layers manager, and you'll discover several new layers on the list.

Then use the layers manager to set them as however required.

Contributor
marianne.hebnes
Message 7 of 12 (13,908 Views)

10-28-2011 03:00 AM in reply to: mrdavie

Here you can see that I have set individual layers (in this case the colour) on one of the VP's

Contributor
marianne.hebnes
Message 8 of 12 (13,906 Views)

10-28-2011 03:03 AM in reply to: mrdavie

And btw, I make those three VP's in the same command.

dcongram
Message 9 of 12 (13,893 Views)

10-28-2011 06:48 AM in reply to: mrdavie
Spoiler

Thank you for the quick reply!  Have a good weekend.  - DC

grocerybill
Message 10 of 12 (13,378 Views)

03-05-2012 01:48 PM in reply to: mrdavie

Hi,  

I think I have finally figured this out.  First a description of the problem.

I created a drawing with multiple layer states.  These layer states were made in model space.

For example:

Layer States:  

foundation

1st floor arch

1st floor arch-electric

etc.

So far so good.

I then created multiple layouts to reflect these layer states.

A layout tab was set up to print a specific size on a specific printer.

This was copied and renamed similar to the layer state (e.g.. Foundation)

The viewport was activate and the Foundation layer state restored.

Still doing good.

Once this was done I went back into model space and used the layer states to work on different parts of the drawing (e.g.. activating the 1st floor layer state to update the 1st floor electric).

Going back to the layout and - uh oh - they're all "messed up". This meant a variety of things from layout being blank to layouts showing only the last used layer state in model space.

As I began restoring the layers on each layout (making sure the "apply properties as viewport overrides" was checked" I  noticed the layer states restored were also restored in model space - essentially restoring all the layer when I was done.  That's when it hit me - activating the layer states in the viewport was essentially creating a filter.  Turn the layer off in model space (by selecting a different layer state) and there is nothing for it to filter.

I created a layer state with all layers on / unfrozen and voila - all the layouts that had gone haywire were back to the way I wanted them.  

So in short:  

Create a layer state for each layout you want to show separate a specific layer state.

for each layout restore the layer state you want.  

Use your layer states to work in model space.

When you want to print / use your layout "all on" layer state so all your layers are turned on / unfrozen. 

Hope this helps.

Will

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.