AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Distinguished Contributor
zzz144
Message 1 of 58 (1,669 Views)

Dear Autodesk - Things you need to fix

1669 Views, 57 Replies
10-21-2011 10:30 AM

Because I pay so much money every year I believe you are obligated to make a product that satisfies everyone. 

I have heard rummors that you are taking all the autocad money and putting it into Inventor and all the other new programs... I hope this is not the case. 

Here's some things that need improvement. You need to deliver. We really do not want to see 5 new trim and extend commands in the 2013 version. Dont roll out the 2013 if its too late to do all of this. 

- rendering - why does my 2008 render images crisply and 2012 and 2011 always come out whitewashed. Please don't try to teach me how to render - i know its not my knowlege but a software flaw.

- rendering - make it more robust. fix the shadows. They are too dark and objects are too bright... dont teach me the settings. I know it. its a software flaw. At 4096 they are grainy at the perimeter... 

- rendering - what does the physical scale and memory limit do - make it simple english or take it out if it does nothing. Simple. 

- what happend to coming up with a nice dialog box for arrays? instead you de-evloved to a commnad input.... Imrove the dialog box... make the columns visual insted of I I I 

- ribbon... This has got to be the most retarded idea ever! Why do i need to move my mouse twice and click twice to invoke a comand. Simply do away with it. What is Microsoft your trendsetter? How Lame! I know when you switch to toolbars some items are missing. we want all the 2D icons displayed on the screen at the same time... (by the way - do not do away with the workspaces - love it!!) 

- all the icons are the same color. this also is the most retarded move ever made. dont you know that some if not most people find their icons so fast based on differnt looks/color.. bring back the colors!!! :smileyhappy: 

-  the constraints. Great. improve them. make them work. 

- seriously i pay 4000 for a license and i still have the same hatches i had 15 years ago. wheres wood? wheres nice gravel? dont try to sell me impression here. i dont want to learn a whole new program so i can do landscaping layouts. 

- page setup and print should be in one window.

- have some real world preset plot configurations. the whole grayscale 50% is useless. premake some. its easy. let blue be .45mm thick. and so on... 

- imported image aspect ratio.. when i import scanned floor plan TIFFs and scale them horizntally they are always outta wack vertically... 

- text in 3D - make it look good. If this is impossible to do then fine... but something tells me it is possible. 

- turn off all the online colaboration and communications... I dont want to keep in touch with you. :smileyhappy: I really dont. Quit hogging up the resources with this stuff. Have one dialog box that can turn off everything. 

- leaders and dimensions - combine it one modify window and one toolbar. 

- centroid - give it a grip point for closed polylines or regions.... 

- oh i just thought of something... imagine constraints in 3D... would leave solidworks in the dust... 

- Draw order - is this meant to work for 30 seconds only or what? Make it permanent. I dont want to turn my final drawing into a block.

- helix - give me a dialog box that has as its end result an actual solid. ask for things such as what to sweep (circle with a radius, square dimnesions, block etc...)

OK NOW I WILL TELL YOU WHERE YOU HAVE DONE WELL in the last few years: 

- join command - love it

- surfacing smoothing and freeforming options - love it. 

- constraints - good direction you are going in. Keep it as an optionional way of drafting. Very good addon. 

- workspaces pulldown menu - great! 

- I love the file import options - especially solidworks. Great!!! 

- flatshot command - i dont know who on your team came up with it - but they deserve a fat rasie! love the interface. 

- transperency in properties - awesome! 

- grippable hatches - awesome!

- background hatch color - great! 

I am sure users here will have more to add... 

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 58 (1,657 Views)

Re: Dear Autodesk - Things you need to fix

10-21-2011 11:08 AM in reply to: zzz144

Hi,

>> I am sure users here will have more to add...

On the plus or on the minus side of view? :smileywink:

I don't want to speak for Autodesk, let me just describe of what I felt when I read your post .... from a viewpoint of a developer.

Every developing company is extremley thankful for getting feedback to the product, to get additional ideas for further development, to get also critical review .... as long as it is constructive and it is as complete described as possible!

E.g. you mention to the rendering problems you have plus the comment "don't teach me ..." ==> are sure that you know everything about AutoCAD, every setting, every combination of settings within AutoCAD (I would not say that about me, I would first try to get the problems discussed)?

And you think that Autodesk knows (can see) what you mean by "2012 and 2011 always come out whitewashed" or "[...] fix the shadows. They are too dark and objects are too bright [...]" without getting samples where they can look to the problems. My renderings are not whitewashed and my shadows are correct for my daylight-settings ... in my opinion ... and of course, that is my side of trueness :smileywink:

How often do you think does a developer hear the sentence "It does not work" ==> and I tell you out of my experience (with my own products and also with Autodesk products) in more than 90% of issues "the problem" was repaired with training!

The most constructive critic is a description as complete as possible plus (at least one) sample that makes it possible to reproduce the phenomen you see and you think that is not correct.

Well I also want to say it was great to end with a lot of PLUS-items, but think of attaching samples and descriptions ==> that raises the chance to get them repaired extremly!

SCNR, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Valued Mentor
tim.turner
Message 3 of 58 (1,641 Views)

10-21-2011 12:46 PM in reply to: zzz144

1. Allow for pick point spacing in the array so it doesn't have to be measured and typed in.

2. Add weld symbols.

3. Autocad will never touch SW as long as you have to move the stupid UCS around, no matter how "dynamic" it is.

4. Speaking of SW, make the command line accept and convert units ie: 152.4mm in an inch drawing or 6" in a mm drawing. Yeah I know you can do that in lisp on the command line, if you have the time.

zzz144
Message 4 of 58 (1,632 Views)

10-21-2011 01:07 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred, 

Good that you took the time to reply... You make good points and i actually agree with some of them. But then again on some i do not.

you said:

"E.g. you mention to the rendering problems you have plus the comment "don't teach me ..." ==> are sure that you know everything about AutoCAD, every setting, every combination of settings within AutoCAD (I would not say that about me, I would first try to get the problems discussed)?"

Yes - not to boast but I am among the top few people when it comes to autocad rendering... And if i do not know it after so many complex and odd projects that I have worked on for so long... Hmmm maybe such needful tricks should not be so hidden. I contacted autodesk and different experts but there is no solution which they admited. Some of my posts talk about it. 

you said: 
"How often do you think does a developer hear the sentence "It does not work" ==> and I tell you out of my experience (with my own products and also with Autodesk products) in more than 90% of issues "the problem" was repaired with training!"

well this case is about those 10% that really do not work. I am not sure how to explain in any other way. I have asked for solutions everywhere and no luck. 

Autodesk developers should easily understand the problems im bringing up. I am certain of it. Maybe some of my posts are ambigous but they can easily ask.... 

For example on the solidworks Forum there are topics where solidworks developers ask for input... Where is this thread here?  

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 5 of 58 (1,624 Views)

10-21-2011 01:23 PM in reply to: zzz144

Hi,

>> Good that you took the time to reply... You make good points and i actually agree with some of them.

>> But then again on some i do not.

It's absolutley ok to have different opinions ... and to discuss them :smileywink:

>> For example on the solidworks Forum there are topics where solidworks developers ask for input... Where is this thread here? 

I see the forum as "users to users". Of course Autodesk listens, sometimes they answer also here. But to get problems solved I see the subscription-support as the place where direct questions to problems have to be handled by Autodesk.

So if there is no one in this forum who is able to solve you questions (including samples) then goto subscription.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
zzz144
Message 6 of 58 (1,623 Views)

10-21-2011 01:29 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I did not mean a thread for solving problems - subscription is great...

I was refering to a thread that would be started and nurtured by autodesk asking on input how to improve AutoCAD...  I dont see that... 

For example solidworks has a thread on how to make their 2D interface better... It sucks (their 2D) but they are willing to improve and to ask for our input... I admire that. 

*Expert Elite*
DarrenP
Message 7 of 58 (1,619 Views)

10-21-2011 01:31 PM in reply to: zzz144
Valued Mentor
tim.turner
Message 8 of 58 (1,619 Views)

10-21-2011 01:33 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

The problem with subscription is that most problems end up being dropped out of frustration, at least that has been my case. They acknowledge a problem and escalate it but then it gets into having to try things under admin login (which I do not have) or special limited boot ups or reinstallations or registry changes. All of which are not going to happen here because of a bare bones IT and no CAD manager. Especially since the problem solving should be on Autodesk's dime. They should give subscription credit like the next upgrade is free for doing their troubleshooting for them.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 9 of 58 (1,585 Views)

10-22-2011 06:00 AM in reply to: tim.turner

tim.turner wrote:

3. Autocad will never touch SW as long as you have to move the stupid UCS around, no matter how "dynamic" it is.

4. Speaking of SW,  

And speaking of SolidWorks/AutoCAD Apples/Oranges.  You sould be familiar with Autodesk Inventor - the SWx equivalent product.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 10 of 58 (1,584 Views)

10-22-2011 06:17 AM in reply to: zzz144
zzz144 wrote:

> Dont roll out the 2013 if its too late to do all of this. 

I think you might be in the wrong forum.  This is a peer-to-peer user forum.
You might try here - 

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=246
http://beta.autodesk.com

>-  the constraints. Great. improve them. make them work. 

Autodesk Inventor

>- seriously i pay 4000 for a license

Seriousl! Really! Every year? Might find a new VAR.

>and i still have the same hatches i had 15 years ago. wheres wood? wheres nice gravel?

15 years should be enough time to create some hatch patterns

>- text in 3D - make it look good. 

Autodesk Inventor

>- leaders and dimensions - combine it one modify window and one toolbar. 

Autodesk Inventor

>. imagine constraints in 3D... would leave solidworks in the dust... 

Autodesk Inventor.  AutoCAD isn't an MCAD program and shouldn't be.

>- helix - give me a dialog box that has as its end result an actual solid. ask for things such as what to sweep (circle with a radius, square dimnesions, block etc...)

Autodesk Inventor

Many companies have a range of products that they sell.
They add a bit to the older products as inexpensive development to keep older lines going that have already been invested, while heavily investing in next-generation products.

I'm not familiar with the other Autodesk products, but Autodesk Inventor already has much of what you wish for - what kind of work do you do?  Maybe the $1300 for Inventor would be a good investment for you - the more appropriate next-generation tool for the job?

Would you be willing to pay that additional premium (over the $4000/license you state to be paying now) to have the functionality you request with AutoCAD interface?

I would like for my Vibe to be a Vette.... .... but I know enough about cars not to expect a Vibe to be a Vette and enough about CAD, not to expect AutoCAD to be SolidWorks.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.