AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

johnhaberman
Message 1 of 7 (3,609 Views)

Data link table does not insert into .dwg

3609 Views, 6 Replies
11-23-2011 02:41 PM

I am trying to insert a table using a data link.  I set up the Link through the DataLink manager and then insert the table using a range. I click OK to insert the table and after a few seconds of thinking ACAD sits there with no table on the screen.  When I look in XREFs, the DL is there but says it is unrefrenced. Tried multiple ways of entering or setting up information to no avail. Any suggestions?

(Previous to this problem, I have had no problems with DL tables.)

Thanks for your help in advance and Happy Thanksgiving.

maclassen
Message 2 of 7 (3,583 Views)

Re: Data link table does not insert into .dwg

12-06-2011 06:53 AM in reply to: johnhaberman

I was having the same problem, and finally came to the solution after our corporate CAD czar helped me out.  The issue is that although you have created a data link, you still need to create a table for CAD to put the link in.  Enter TABLE into the command prompt, select "from a data link" in the insert options box, and away you go.

Hope this helps!

mustarddog
Message 3 of 7 (3,106 Views)

01-14-2013 11:40 AM in reply to: johnhaberman

I'm having the same problem.  It's too bad you or I have not had a response from Autodesk about this issue.  We can only guess.  Can it be memory issues?  Maybe it's our Operating System, mine is XP pro.  I tried saving the EXCEL file to my desktop and editing the datalink.  I tried starting over completly.

Active Contributor
jnelson1071
Message 4 of 7 (2,040 Views)

11-19-2013 10:11 AM in reply to: mustarddog

I am also have an issue of not being able to insert a table using a data link.  Inserting a generic table is fine, but not one with a data link.  I think I ran into this a while back and traced it down to the dwt file used to start the drawing.  Wished I could remember what I did to make resolving this issue quicker.  Like the OK buton doesn't know to go and pick an insertion point.  

mustarddog
Message 5 of 7 (2,035 Views)

11-19-2013 10:28 AM in reply to: jnelson1071

My problem was merged fields in my spreadsheet.  Once I stopped the merged field at my selected Range, < A1:smileyvery-happy:25 >,  the table would insert and display.

Active Contributor
jnelson1071
Message 6 of 7 (2,031 Views)

11-19-2013 10:53 AM in reply to: mustarddog

This is much simpler than than.  Just simple text in cells A1 to B5 and put in a Named Range called "test".  Thought it might be drawing dependant so I even droped back to the installed acad.dwt to test.  This was attempted in Autocad 2014 and Civil 3D 2014 & 2013.  Not sure of the common denominator.  I'll keep trying....

ScreenCast

Valued Mentor
RockyBrown4134
Message 7 of 7 (2,014 Views)

11-20-2013 09:51 AM in reply to: johnhaberman

I’m not sure what you are asking exactly, but, for what it is worth, here is a procedure that I had used to start. It may not be correct, but it works for me.

In Excel:

Set the cells to the table that you wish to produce (Format, content, etc. Highlight the desired cells for the table, then define a cell range name under Formula’s Tab>Define name. Name it what the Table will be called. Example “PartsList”. Save the file.

In AutoCAD:

Create a new Table, Annotate Tab> Table.  For now, let’s leave the table style as “Standard”. Under Insert Options, select “From Data Link”. Click on the “Data Link Manager Icon” to select a new Data Link. Select “Create a new Excel Data Link”, name it (the same name as in the Excel spread sheet) and select “OK”.  On the “New Excel Data Link” Dialog Box, Browse to the Excel files and select the desired spreadsheet and click “Open”. Under Link Options, select the Excel sheet to link to. Select “Link to a named range” and select the range in the pull down.  Preview should now show the table. Expand the Dialog with the “>” in the lower right corner.  For now, under “Cell Contents”, select “Convert data formats to text, solve formulas in Excel”, and “Allow writing to source file”. Under “Cell Formatting”, select “Use Excel formatting” and “Start with Excel formatting, do not update”.  Click “OK”.  Click “OK” to close “Select Data Link”. Click “OK” on the “Insert Table” to insert the table. This puts a table in the drawing. Then I scale it accordingly.

Now, to be advanced, look at Table Styles. They can be created to fit your specific needs, “Parts List” for example. You can also experiment with “Cell Contents”, “Cell Formatting”, or any of the other options of the Data Link, so that they also fit your needs. Search for table styles in the knowledge base, AU Courses and the web. AutoCAD Insider and Lynn Allen’s Blogs has some articles.

As I stated, this may not be the best way or the correct way, but this is what I found out to work for me. I don't know that this answers your question, but I hope it helps.

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
Sam Carbis Solutions Group
AutoCAD 2012 / Inventor 2012
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!