AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
cwelkusl
Message 1 of 3 (168 Views)

Custom User Parameters in Block Are Lost

168 Views, 2 Replies
09-11-2012 11:17 AM

I have created a dynamic scale bar block that a user can edit two custom properties of (Horizontal Scale and Vertical Exaggeration) and the values on the scale bar will self-adjust after a regen.  The block works fine if inserted into a drawing as per normal the normal insert method.

However, the issue I am running into is this:

If the block is inserted into a template drawing that contains our standard company titleblock (again this part works fine), and that layout is then imported into a new drawing using the "From Template..." right-click option on the Model/Layout tabs, the block loses the custom user parameters.  Editing the block definition shows that the parameters are there, they just no longer have names or default values and do not appear in the properties window when the block is selected.

Trying to edit the user parameter names in the block definition of this imported copy of the block, just results in receiving an error that I'm attempting to use characters that are not alphanumeric.

I've tried this same procedure with 2013 and the issues still occur.  I've tried user parameter names that don't have an underscore in them (just in case that was causing the issue), but again no luck.

I've attached a simpler block that recreates the same problem:

• Tester.dwg - this is the block that can be inserted into a drawing.  It contains two user parameters "Tester" and "Tester_2".  Inserting this block into a drawing shows the block works correctly (user parameters are editable from the properties window).
  • Testing.dwg - this is a drawing that contains the above block inserted onto Layout 1.  If Layout 1 is imported into a new drawing (using the "From Template..." right click option of the model/layout tabs), then the block no longer functions as it should.  The two user parameters are no longer visible in the properties window.

Anyone else seen this or have an idea of a solution?

Chris Welk
Urban Systems Ltd.
Engineering Technologist (Civil)/CADD Applications Developer
Product Support
zalant
Message 2 of 3 (140 Views)

Re: Custom User Parameters in Block Are Lost

09-19-2012 09:34 AM in reply to: cwelkusl

In working with the sample block you attached, I don't see where the parameters are assigned to anything.  I inserted the Tester.dwg into a new drawing, and yes the parameters show up in the properties palette and yes you can change them, but there's no visible effect on the line in the drawing (even after a REGEN).  Do you have a different sample where modifying the parameters visibly does something? 

Zac Travis
Product Support
zalant
Message 3 of 3 (123 Views)

Re: Custom User Parameters in Block Are Lost

09-21-2012 12:01 PM in reply to: cwelkusl

I was wondering if you had a different sample file which shows the effect of the custom parameters.  Please feel free to post it up here.

Zac Travis
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.