AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
maureenc
Message 1 of 24 (11,298 Views)
Accepted Solution

CTB Files

11298 Views, 23 Replies
05-26-2011 03:44 PM

How do I create a new CTB file OR insure that a drawing is supported by an existing CTB file? I have tried to start one from scratch using Plot window - when I click on file - it sends me back to MY DOCUMENTS. Is this a glich??

I think you are going in the right direction.

It seems like AutoCAD is not looking in the right place.

Add the path and make sure that the entire path matches the location of your .ctb files and you should be good.

please post if you get it working.

thanks.

OK, I have to submit another reply as I skipped a step earlier. I have underlined what I added below, and added what Dean brought up in his post.

As Dean stated, the "appdata" folder is a hidden folder and you will need to go to Windows Explorer, pick "tools", "folder options", pick the "view" tab and you will see an option to "hide system folders" or "show system folders", you will need to set it to "show system folders" and pick "apply" before going through the following procedure in AutoCAD.

To change the location that AutoCAD is looking for the .ctb files.

pulldown menu "tools"

pick "options"

pick the "files" tab

expand the "printer support file path" selection 

expand the "plot style table search path" selection

the path displayed is where your computer is looking to find the .ctb files

either copy your .ctb files to that location, or, change the path to the location your .ctb files are currently at

by picking whatever location is currently displayed and then pick the "browse" button at upper right, then browse through your folders to the default location in my earlier post.

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 2 of 24 (11,288 Views)

Re: CTB Files

05-26-2011 07:20 PM in reply to: maureenc

To create a CTB go to the Big red A, down to Print, Over and down to Manage Plot Styles. 

When you start the plot command in the upper right you should see a name for the plot style, it will either be None, or a .CTB or .STB.  If you aren't seeing the pull down for that then maybe the whole plot dialog isn't showing, click on the lower right > arrow to expand.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
Contributor
maureenc
Message 3 of 24 (11,272 Views)

05-27-2011 06:44 AM in reply to: maureenc

The pull-down box in my printer window says CTB file is missing. I have the CTB file - but don't know how to correct the path to it. Help!!

thanks,

Mentor
AlistairBean1906
Message 4 of 24 (11,270 Views)

05-27-2011 07:08 AM in reply to: maureenc

If you pull down the list where it says it is missing, you get a list of available plotstyles (in your plot styles directory). If by any chance the list you see is of STB files rather than CTBs then your file is set up for named plot styles (not Colour dependant.

If this is the case then at the command prompt type the command CONVERTPSTYLES follow the prompts and try again

Distinguished Mentor
tschau3
Message 5 of 24 (11,264 Views)

05-27-2011 08:33 AM in reply to: AlistairBean1906

At the command line, type STYLESMANAGER.  This takes you to where you'll need to copy your CTB file.  After you copy the CTB, restart Autocad.  Your CTB should then be listed in Plot box.

Contributor
maureenc
Message 6 of 24 (11,254 Views)

05-27-2011 01:16 PM in reply to: maureenc

Thanks for the tips - but still having problems. When I open the plot style table in the Printer Window - it gives 3 choices: New, None or Laser-Half-SM (missing). I used command STYLESMANAGER and was let to My Documents. I put Laser-Half-SM into My Documents and restarted. But still said Laser-Half was missing. I have tried to start a NEW plot style  - leads me to a window that asks for a file name. If I type in Laser-Half-SM or anything else - it says it cannot find the path specified. Also tried C:\My Documents\Laser-Half-SM. It still says it cannot find the path specified. Thanks to ANYONE who can help!!

One more question - everytime I try to reply to someone's response - my username and password are requested - I put them in - and this web-site does not recognize. I have to keep changing my password - annoying...

Maureenc

12qwaszx34erdfcv
Message 7 of 24 (11,248 Views)

05-27-2011 01:51 PM in reply to: maureenc

This is the location all our .ctb files were located by default while installing AutoCAD 2011:

C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2011\R18.1\enu\Plotters\Plot Styles

Of course you will use your username instead of "username".

Try copying your file to that location, I don't think you have to restart AutoCAD, just close the

plotting dialog box and redo the plot command after copying the file.

Contributor
maureenc
Message 8 of 24 (11,183 Views)

06-02-2011 04:16 PM in reply to: 12qwaszx34erdfcv

Thank you!!

I am able to find a file in my computer that contains generic plot styles - and added the plot style I wish to use. BUT the plot style table in the printer window STILL says my ctb file is missing. The only other options are NONE or NEW. I have tried to make a new one, but the wizard gets stuck and will not work. The plot style table is not listing the styles from the correct file.

COULD IT BE... that my drawings are automatically saved to AutoCAD 2007, even tho I have 2011. This was done when I was with a group that did not have 2011. Could this be why it does not work? How do I change that automatic saving to 2007 - back to 2011?

Thanks for help from anyone!!!!!

Mentor
AlistairBean1906
Message 9 of 24 (11,172 Views)

06-03-2011 01:21 AM in reply to: maureenc

This is not caused by saving your drawings back to 2007.

To change your default save level go to the OPEN AND SAVE tab of the OPTIONS Dialog box. The first item is SaveAs, pull down the list and select 2010.

Even though you are in 2011 the file format is the same as from 2010 (and is the same in 2012) expect a new one next March since it is really a 3 year cycle for AutoCAD development.

Contributor
maureenc
Message 10 of 24 (11,149 Views)

06-03-2011 12:49 PM in reply to: AlistairBean1906

Thank you.

I am still unable to print with a ctb file - Does anyone know how to fix this?

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.