Did you mean: 

creation of 'tmp' files causing problems

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
rgorman
1496 Views, 9 Replies

creation of 'tmp' files causing problems

We are currently using a networked Autocad 2012 Deployment. As each person opens the Autocad session, several "tmp" files are created in the "G:\AutoCAD Support\2012\Support\ToolPalette" directory. They remain when the session is closed and then several MORE are created. The directory itself is write protected for most users (engineers, etc) but open for the Drafstmen to be able to create new entries. I can see why they arent deleted becasue of this, but why are they thrown in there in the first place?

We had over 65,000 tmp listings this AM after examining all the directories associated with Autocad because ALL users were having problems opening and closing Autocad such as 3-4 minutes to open the app, and several minutes to close. Once they were deleted, Acad ran normally and no lags were detected. This has never been detected before.

TIA

Ray G.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
dmfrazier
in reply to: rgorman

"...why are they thrown in there in the first place?"

They are apparently a "normal", necessary part of the way Tool Palettes function, though I haven't been able to find info on exactly what they are used for.  I've never seen the file size anything other than 0 bytes. 

I have the same issue in my office setup.  The files accumulate in whatever folder(s) is(are) specified in the Tool Palettes file location in Options.  I experimented with throwing a local folder in there as the "first" path (with our network folder listed second), hoping that making the top folder local would allow the files to be automatically deleted, but it seems that AutoCAD creates the tmp files in each folder that contains catalog (ATC) files for whichever palette(s) a user has loaded.

I have never noticed any performance issues that could be traced to accumulation of these files, but since I have been aware of them, I have made it a routine to delete them on a regular basis (mainly to simplify syncing offline files).  This could easily be automated (just haven't gotten 'round to it yet).  You would just have to set it up to delete only files with dates prior to the current date.

Message 3 of 10
rgorman
in reply to: dmfrazier

Unfortunately, the issues only started around Nov.7th. Up until then, there were no instances of tmp files being created in that directory at all. Only tmp's that I may have created while working with the Tool Palettes themselves were in there before that. I did create a batch file to clear them out, and will be doing what you did- periodically deleting them with that file. As for the performance issues- some of us think there may still be that 64,000 file limit sticking around in the Windows environment, so when it reached that number it was choking on how to deal with them.

They are also being created in the directory below that one-

G:\AutoCAD Support\2012\Support\ToolPalette\Palettes

Message 4 of 10
dmfrazier

"...the issues only started around Nov.7th. Up until then, there were no instances of tmp files being created in that directory at all. Only tmp's that I may have created while working with the Tool Palettes themselves were in there before that."

So, is there anything you can pinpoint that occurred "around Nov. 7th"?

Were you the only one "working in the Tool Palettes themselves" up until that time?  (If no other users were pointed to those folders, then this would make sense.)

I'd love to learn that this is not "normal" behavior and then discover there is a cure for it!

Message 5 of 10
dgorsman

Which setting is pointing at this folder?  One of the tool palette settings?  Are you sharing tool palette group definitions, or is this left to the users?

For what its worth, I've *never* seen tmp files in any of our tool palette folders.

Check the rights on the folder - if users can read and write but not delete, then temporary files cannot be cleaned up.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 10
dmfrazier
in reply to: dgorsman

"...if users can read and write but not delete, then temporary files cannot be cleaned up."

Just curious, but if one wants to have a setup where several users can share a set of "enterprise" Tool Palettes (shared, but not editable), via a network folder, how well would that work if the folder were not protected from file modification/deletion?  I don't think it's possible (on a Windows network) to give users "delete" privileges without also giving them "modify" privileges.

Message 7 of 10
rgorman
in reply to: dgorsman

This is what's bothering me about "all of a sudden" having these files propagate in a directory that was formally left alone. I have a call in to the IT folks about them possibly changing some permissions along the way. They've done these things before and we lose access to various files when they do. I have to call them and get them to back off on the security a *bit* to allow tha program to actually work. 

Message 8 of 10
ipi
Advocate

I am having the same issue on my networked tool palettes folder. This folder is read only for everyone except for the administrator. Just as described by the OP, "all of a sudden" this became an issue for us to the extent where AutoCAD would take several minutes to load, hang periodically during each session and take serval minutes to close the last open drawing. I was able to track the issue to the tool palettes folder and found more than 200,000 tmp files. Once deleted, the problems went away.

David Hassan

IP Illustration
www.ipillustration.com
Message 9 of 10
ipi
Advocate
in reply to: ipi

I've solved the issue by making the only checking the READ option for the Tool Palettes folder permissions for all users other than administrator and the user that manages the tool palettes.

Still doesn't explain why this issue started out of the blue after years of working properly...

David Hassan

IP Illustration
www.ipillustration.com
Message 10 of 10
rgorman

I realize this is a thread from 2013, but we have had this ongoing issue since then. After coming and poking around some of my older posts after inquiring about a different matter, I came across my original posting. At the time I tried David's solution to adjust the permissions to that directory. Since I did NOT have the access permissions to change any settings, whenever I set the "Deny" (Deny works better, since the "Read" option was tied into some other settings in there) property, it would not take hold and revert to previous permissions. I contacted the IT guys and they reacted like I had 2 heads. "Huh?... We can't change that...". So I wound up creating a Batch file I would run every week or so to delete those tmp files. 

Move ahead to yesterday after reading this post again, I tried to go in and see if anything had changed. I went to the permissions for that directory and clicked on "Deny". And it stuck this time. I exited out, re-started the PC and checked it again. It was still set to "Deny" Success!!! But then I thought that maybe IT would send out one of those global command things overnight that would reset everything back to the previous settings. But no, this AM the "Deny" was still enabled and there were no 'tmp' files being dumped into that directory. So it appears that I have been given magical powers and can actually manage the Autocad like it says in my job title. Well. at least until IT figures out some way to "fix" it and break it again. It only took 9 years to fix a problem I should not have had in the first place.

Oh- and I then went in and was able to add to and edit/modify the Tool Palettes themselves as well. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost