Did you mean: 

Creating a linetype with Shapefile and no Dashes or Dots

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jamesloy22
1257 Views, 3 Replies

Creating a linetype with Shapefile and no Dashes or Dots

Hi,

I am trying to create a linetype using a .lin file and a supporting shx file. I am hoping to create a linetype that is just a continous repeat of the same shape in the shx file, but the structure of the .lin file forces you to have 2-12 definitions which means you have to have a dash or dot inbetween your shapefile (since your first entity in the linetype can not be the shape itself or negative, meaning it has to be at least 0).

Does anyone have any suggestions or work arounds to this problem? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi,

>> you have to have a dash or dot inbetween your shapefile

Between your shapes you can set negative values for a distance without a dot or a line.

But you are correct, the first object has to be at least a micro-line and so every start of your repeating structure has that point.

The question now is: does you symbol have a geometry at it's insertion point then it does not matter, then the point is under a line of your shape and so not visible.

If that does not help then let us know (with a screenshot, or a drawing with manually drawn the linetypesegments) what you are trying to achive, maybe someone has then ideas of how to get your wish(es) solved.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 4
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: jamesloy22

I also wish there was a way to avoid that point [zero-length-or-nearly line, really].  Alfred's suggestion is workable most of the time when the linetype will be applied to straight things, but when you might want to use it on curves, here's an illustration of how it makes a difference.

LinetypeShapeBase.png

Note the very different relationship of the shapes to each other.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 4
jamesloy22
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thank you both for your quick responses. I am including a photo of three linetypes that demostrate this problem well. Do you have any recomendations as to best approach these linetypes? I am attaching the .lin file I have for the first two linetypes. The photo I am including are the "ideal" linetypes but my linetypes are not looking like this yet. Please note that shape1 in my shape.shx file is just the semi-circle (which does not have the line underneath) and that my shape2 is just one vertical line.

*ls-1_C3D,ls-1
A,0.2,[shape1,shape.shx,S=0.00158679085520745,R=0,X=0.000793395427603726,Y=0],-0.00001
*ls-2_C3D,ls-2
A,0,-0.25,[shape2,shape.shx,S=1,R=0,A=0,X=0,Y=0]

linetypes.JPG

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost