AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 11 of 17 (1,249 Views)

Re: CPU maxed out at 25%

05-26-2011 09:18 AM in reply to: Rainman1

As already mentioned, multicores have little to no benefit on single AutoCAD session.  I have 16 virtual core box and AutoCAD can only make maximum 6.25% out of it.  So instead of open many drawings in one session, I many sessions without performance hit.

Distinguished Contributor
Rainman1
Message 12 of 17 (1,238 Views)

05-26-2011 11:11 AM in reply to: ToanDN

Does anyone know what "purging empty groups" does? Again, I can open my drawing (which contains xrefs) in AutoCAD 2006 but when I try to open it in AutoCAD 2012 it gets to the point where the drawing is visible but then at the command line it says "purging empty groups" and CAD freezes. I don't even see the item "Groups" in the purge dialogue box in CAD 2006???? This is really frustrating and it seems like there is no fix. I have to keep the old software to open certain drawings????

Active Contributor
LaserGuy
Message 13 of 17 (1,236 Views)

05-26-2011 11:11 AM in reply to: ToanDN

I agree with ToanDN. I have five instances of AutoCAD open at all times (with each instance's affinity set to a single core)

When an instance goes to lunch, I simply switch to a different drawing.

Dell T7500
x5690 Xeon 3.46/3.73GHz
48Gb, 12 SSDs, Quadro 2000,
K40 Tesla, Win7 x64
AutoCAD Mechanical 2015
Ansys Mechanical 15
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 14 of 17 (1,219 Views)

05-26-2011 03:31 PM in reply to: Rainman1

Stupid question time: I assume you are familiar with groups?

Its entirely possible to have groups with no objects assigned to them.  Poorly designed third-party and in-house software can result in the drawing being overloaded with either anonymous or named groups, each of them with no contents.  This happens either from creating new groups on the fly or deleting objects without checking for group membership.  After a while the overhead of all of these unnecessary groups bogs down the drawing (similar to annotation scales, but not as bad).  Purging "dead" groups deletes them from the drawing as a means to keep this problem in check.

Lastly, it might not be the purging of dead groups that is the problem.  Frequently command line responses occur *after* the event has finished, so the problem may be in whatever is happening after the purge.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Distinguished Contributor
Rainman1
Message 15 of 17 (1,209 Views)

05-27-2011 05:14 AM in reply to: dgorsman

No, I have never heard of, or used groups. I tried again to open the drawing but this time when it froze I just let it sit (the command line said it was purging empty groups) but at the top of the application it said "not responding". After about 15 minutes the drawing finally opened and a message in the command line said "219,216 empty groups purged". Now the drawing opens and closes no problem. I have no idea what this is all about. Never used groups and would like to turn this function off if possible. I've gotten along fine without goups for 12 years now so see no use for them at this point!

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 16 of 17 (1,195 Views)

05-27-2011 11:43 AM in reply to: Rainman1

That would be bad, very bad course of action.  Maybe not extremely bad.  But removing those dead groups is the "right" thing to do if only for the sanity of those working on the drawings.  You need to find what is causing those dead groups and get that fixed.  They could have been accumulating for years, which is why there are so many.  Without the option for purging them you wouldn't have known they were there.

Think of it like having a bucket to catch the drips from a leaky roof; if the bucket is overflowing, the problem isn't from having a bucket thats too small its that the roof is leaking.

Look into the help file (I know, I know...) and read about groups.  They have some very good uses when done properly.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Valued Contributor
its_cconner
Message 17 of 17 (904 Views)

06-06-2012 10:44 AM in reply to: Rainman1

While related to the title my problem is not exactly the same. Just recently it seems AutoCAD 2012 now uses 25% of my CPU when idle. I have nothing else running just fresh boot and AutoCAD and getting 25% CPU usage across all cores.

System specs:

Intel Core2 Quad CPU 3GHz

8GB ram

64 bit WIN 7

64 bit ACAD 2012

64 bit Vault Pro 2013 server (connected through ACAD using Vault Pro 2012 not the client)

When I open a drawing it will actually drop usage then once it's opened it goes back to 25%. Another interesting thing to note is if any dialog boxes pop up in ACAD my CPU drops to 0. Once I click an answer it will go back to 25. This I guess wouldn't be such an issue except my machine is now lagging when I try to research anything on our intranet or even the internet, send or receive emails and listen to my media player. I've never had any problems like this in the past two years of using this computer.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.