Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy to Clipboard Failed Error - Raises it's head again

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
RockyBrown4134
1070 Views, 11 Replies

Copy to Clipboard Failed Error - Raises it's head again

I had a post on this board, Copy to Clip Board Failed , and asked if a fix or resolution been found for the "Copy to Clip Board Failed" error. I am once again seeing it pop up again, with trying to copy AutoCAD Geometry, including blocks and Dynamic Blocks. We are trying to cut and pasting them from one drawing to another. The problem comes when you actually try to select the geometry.  

This was (and still is) the process

1) Files were created on Machine "A" and saved to a server.

2) Files wer opened by Machine "B" from the server.

3) Views were selected and CTRL-C for copy.

4) Got the error "Copy to ClipBoard Failed" on Machine "B"

5) On Machine "A", Created new drawing opened from .dwt on server. No Problem coping and pasting.

6) On Machine "C", Created new drawing opened from .dwt on server. Got the error "Copy to ClipBoard Failed" on Machine "C".

7) However, on Machine "C", remove four instances od a regular block, selected remaining geometry, including regular blaock and Dynamic blocks. CTRL-C for copy. CTRL-V to paste in the new drawing with no problems. 

I have ran an Audit on the source file,

pendean replyed in that post that "Blocks with same names but different content in both the source and destination files is usually the culprit."  But I dont think that is the case, since we can't select the geometry from the sorcr file before getting the error.

I have also read the post stating to export to a R12 .dxf, but that loses the Dynamic Block capabilities in the blocks that contain them. I have also read every post on this disscussion group as well.

Has anybody had the same issue and if so, how did you work around the issue? Has ther ever been a resolution to the issue, service pack maybe? (AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 SP2, Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2012)

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

pendean: I always value your input. Have you run across any other scenarios with this?

Thanks.

Moderator;

If this post needs to be moved to another forum, please do so.

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
AutoCAD 2020 / Inventor 2020 / Plant 3D
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

We ran a test drawing and found the block that was causing the problem. The block is a standard block, not a dynamic block. However it contains a WIPEOUT in it. I cant say that Wipeouts are the cause, however I can't rule them out either.

With that said, adding WIPEOUT into the equation, has anyone experienced this scenario?

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
Message 3 of 12

Hi Rocky,

I don't think I've run into the problem of a wipeout inside a block making the block unable to be copy-pasted. Your test2.dwg seems to work fine on my system. Are you able to fix the problem by removing the wipeout and then return the problem by putting it back? Can you reproduce the issue in a brand new file created from the acad.dwt template?

There are several hotfixes for AutoCAD Mechanical 2012. Maybe one of them will inadvertently help. Here is the download list:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-mechanical/downloads#?cg=Downloads&p=AutoCAD%20Mechani...

Have you by chance tested a newer version of AutoCAD Mechanical to see if it gets around the problem?

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 4 of 12

@bryce.thelin wrote:

1) Are you able to fix the problem by removing the wipeout and then return the problem by putting it back?

2) Can you reproduce the issue in a brand new file created from the acad.dwt template?

1) I have not tried going into the existing block(s) and removing the wipeout(s).

2) I did create a new drawing drom a template on my machine. Three objects ere drawn, including one wipe out. Tested on a machine in question, and they could not copy clip. I then open the drawing, removed the wipeout, and saved. Went back to the machine in question, opened the file and could copy to clipboard.

FYI......The question remains, with two machines set up as identical as possible, why can one copy to clipboard and the other can't?

@bryce.thelin wrote:

There are several hotfixes for AutoCAD Mechanical 2012. Maybe one of them will inadvertently help. Here is the download list:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-mechanical/downloads#?cg=Downloads&p=AutoCAD%20Mechani...

Have you by chance tested a newer version of AutoCAD Mechanical to see if it gets around the problem?

I have not looked into this yet.

Rocky Brown
Message 5 of 12

Do some more testing to see if you can pinpoint where the problem comes from. Try saving and opening test files from different locations to make sure the folder that holds the drawing is not the issue. If it does boil down to having a wipeout in a block, and you can't recreate the block or replace it to fix it, then I'd say the AutoCAD installation(s) on the affected computer(s) is at fault. Test another user account, reset AutoCAD to defaults, and even uninstall/reinstall AutoCAD.

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 6 of 12

open the file in AutoCAD 2014 version and there was no problem. Wipe outs at this point seem to be the problem child in 2012 version. Are there any known issues with wipe outs in 2012 version? I'll need to research a little on this.

Rocky Brown
Message 7 of 12

After reading back through some notes, I had some problems with dynamic blocks with wipeouts back in March. (Wipe out - Can not stretch nor does it have grips.
Options). The problem was resolved by uninstalling Sketchbook, as suggested. I wondering if Sketchbook in the problem here? I'll check and repost once I have a chance to test.

Rocky Brown
Message 8 of 12

I checked three machines today and only one had Sketchbook installed. I have not ruled this out yet. Still researching.

Rocky Brown
Message 9 of 12

After checking several machines, here are the common factors that I have found so far:

AutoCAD 2012

Dynamic Blocks

Dynamic Blocks with wipeouts

Blocks with wipeouts

I have also tested on a test machine with AutoCAD 2014. I had no problems.

So, I'm guessing here. It has to be either something in AutoCAD 2012, in the way wipeouts are handled, or dynamic blocks.

I know that others can save back down to AutoCAD R12 .dxf and re-open the drawings with the blocks, and it cures the copy clip problem. But it eliminates the dynamic functions in the blocks and that's defeating the purpose.

I'll keep looking. If anybody has any ideas, please let me know.

Rocky Brown
Message 10 of 12

FYI.....Just loaded AutoCAD Mechanical on a brand new machine. I open the test drawing in question as the first drawing on the machine, and have the problem right off the bat.

Rocky Brown
Message 11 of 12

@RockyBrown4134 wrote:
After reading back through some notes, I had some problems with dynamic blocks with wipeouts back in March. (Wipe out - Can not stretch nor does it have grips.
Options). The problem was resolved by uninstalling Sketchbook, as suggested. I wondering if Sketchbook in the problem here? I'll check and repost once I have a chance to test.

Dose anyone know of any known conflicts between Sketchbook Designer 2012 and AoutoCAD 2012? Just checking any possibilites.

Rocky Brown
Message 12 of 12

OK. Add this to the equation.

Had a drawing that had a known dynamic block with a Stretch Action, Visibility State and a wipe out in it, that was inserted from a block directory on the server. For argument, lets call it DS9_5_PLAN. When the drawing was given to a second person to make a revision, they opened the drawing and tried to make a revision by changing the value of the Stretch Action and change the Visibility State. The Dynamic actions would not work. I opened the file on my machine and had no problems. Both machines are the same (HP Z220) with same software installed (AutoCAD Mechanical 2012).

Here is what I did. I inserted the block so that it redefine itself.

-i  (or -Insert) <return>

Enter block name or [?]: DS9_5_plan=DS9_5_plan <return>

Block "DS9_5_plan" already exists. Redefine it? [Yes/No] <N>: Y <return>

Block "DS9_5_plan" redefined ESC key to cancel out of the command.

Once the block was redefined, I was able to change the Dynamic Properties for each action.

So, can I assume that this type of block gets corrupted inside of a drawing file?

If so, then what's causing it?

For info:

Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2012

Product Version: F .205.0.0, AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 SP2

HP Z220, Windows 7 Pro, SP1

64 bit OS

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4 GHz

16.0 GB RAM

Rocky Brown

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost