AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 11 of 36 (748 Views)

Re: Converting 2d Drawing to 3d Drawing

03-04-2011 11:43 AM in reply to: pendean

I thought - Well we've been posting about how difficult it would be. Maybe I should give it a shot and see if it might not be so bad. I've stared at the sketch for a couple of minute now trying to compose the steps in my head. It is that bad.

The sketch has very little detail. Even leaving out that there are no dimensions. The worst is that the "Top is Curved". How is it curved. I don't see any curve. The sketch looks like you would take a triangular block of wood and round two corners. But how does that make the top round. The bottom is flat. That's nice but it has rounded corners. The top is Curved but looks pretty much like the bottom. This obviously will connect to something else, a "filler block", and maybe more parts. Someone who has the complete plans might be able to visualize the part well enough to draw it.

The best I could come up with is draw a WEDGE and FILLET the corners. But that doesn't cover the curvyness of the top.

Allen

Active Contributor
pjnewt
Message 12 of 36 (564 Views)

11-07-2011 07:46 PM in reply to: TonyDe

The number of views is more likely people with the same question looking for the answer.  The origianal poster used the forum correctly.  Busy, busy, busy.  Why are you in the forums?

Active Contributor
pjnewt
Message 13 of 36 (564 Views)

11-07-2011 07:53 PM in reply to: pendean

I don't see it open ended at all.  Answer it and that's the end.  As to how "hard" it is, who would know before they did it.  Your response reminds me off all the people in front of me that were afraid people would learn "their" jobs.  Guild work.  Or wasting their time in forums when they obviously don't have any intention of help, just pushing education paths that maybe or are too expensive for the average joe, not being employed by companies who send their employees to training.

I'd suggest that the next time the posters want to "instruct" other posters it would be a good idea to stick to the question asked and leave the commentary and personal view points out.  It's either one or zero - no ruffles needed.

Active Contributor
pjnewt
Message 14 of 36 (563 Views)

11-07-2011 07:58 PM in reply to: AllenJessup

Glad you got your head turned around...no 2x4 needed.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 15 of 36 (553 Views)

11-08-2011 12:41 AM in reply to: pjnewt

Hi,

>> The number of views is more likely people with the same question looking for the answer

I don't think so, the counter will have to be splitted in some are looking if they can give answers and some are searching for answers. If that is now 50:50 or 90:10 depends on how long does this thread exist. Within the first day I think it's 90:10 helpers:searchers, the longer the thread is present the searchers-side will grow.

>> The origianal poster used the forum correctly

>> You're allowed to ask any question you want

Both statements are/may be correct, BUT:

For me a forum is first a big database where I can search getting some open points answered and if that failed (and only then) the question should be placed as new thread. In many times (not this thread, generally) my feeling is, that the OP has not tried to search by himself, just placed here his question thinking "people out there ==> do my job" or something like "do a search for me, I'm busy" and also this "if I have not detailed my question enough it's up to you to solve the open points, I have no time for that".... and if answers are presented that looks like "take a training" all are wondering, ... why? I can't understand that? To drive a car I also do a training (well in most countries) and have to spent time for learning before doing, I can't tell a forum to do my driver-license-check, why not also spent time for taining for CAD-systems.

And I think a lot of people here answering day-by-day (for years) multiple questions have a feeling about "when would a class be helpful". Both modes of answers, one telling "draw a line ... make a fillet ... extrude ... " and the other "a trainig will bring you up" may be correct for the OP.

My 2c

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Active Contributor
pjnewt
Message 16 of 36 (547 Views)

11-08-2011 03:50 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

You make a lot of assumptions.

The view counter is not split, and I do my searches specifically to find postings related to my question, therefore it's a view without me ever even thinking about me answering.

I know I've been looking for how to do spherical mapping and haven't found it although I've seen it on a Youtube video done by Autodesk.  I looked for what version and machine they were using and couldn't find those elements.  I've searched AutoDesk's information, done multiple web searches and at best am finding bits and pieces but still don't know how to do this in AutoCAD 2012 on a Mac - now how much "homework" do you think I've done?  Too much.  Funny, it's not as easy on the front end of learning as it is on the backend.  I think those that know forget how hard it is for those that are learning and can be a bit pompous.

We both know everyone has opinions. However I still think you cut this guy off and then backed over him.  Definitely not needed.

I also feel that AutoDesk should invest in Moderators to nail down some of the issues that pass before these questions.  I have no idea what "Ask the Experts" does other than list multiple answers to topics and no way to search the whole area for your specifc question.  I can't even find the "how to ask" portion.

No, not easy.  One last thing, as I worked my way up in C programming I learn who I could ask questions and who I couldn't because the cost they wanted was just to high - I'm not talking about money here.  I put it up to their knowning stuff but nobody wanted to deal with the condesening attitude that gave you a beating first and then may give you some tips, direction, or an honest "no I don't know'.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 17 of 36 (531 Views)

11-08-2011 04:57 AM in reply to: pjnewt

Hi,

>> The view counter is not split, and I do my searches specifically to find postings related to my question,

>> therefore it's a view without me ever even thinking about me answering.

And that's why I wrote "the longer the thread is present the searchers-side will grow".

>>  I think those that know forget how hard it is for those that are learning

Maybe, sometimes, someone, but that's not valid in general. Those people answering day-by-day see these types of questions also every day and so they will also be remembered every day to how hard it's for new users of a software.

>> [...] and can be a bit pompous

If it's me who sounds like that, than sorry, that's my (non-)english, but that's not what or how I want to say/describe/answer anything.

>> [...] you cut this guy off

I didn't do that, I never gave an answer to OP directly

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 18 of 36 (528 Views)

11-08-2011 05:34 AM in reply to: pjnewt

You responded to TonyDe, but I was the one who mentioned the number of view. Since my post was 1 day after the original post. I think it would be more likely that most of the view were people who were reading the post to see if they could help. I think the longer the time from the original post the more likely it is that it has come up in other people's searches.

Why am I in the forums? Three main reasons. One is to get help with my problems. Second is to help people with theirs. Third is to show off my skill. There. I said it!

Allen

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 19 of 36 (524 Views)

11-08-2011 06:27 AM in reply to: pjnewt

The only thing I can find in AutoCAD on Spherical mapping is "Enter Spherical Coordinates" in help. That has very little information. A good source to review about coordinate systems in general is http://www.ejsurveying.com/Articles/Working_with_Grid_Coordinates.pdf

I've played around with Spherical Coordinates and they're not easy to work with. Are you trying to apply this to a specific purpose? Can you let us know what it is?

Allen

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 20 of 36 (515 Views)

11-08-2011 09:05 AM in reply to: pjnewt

pjnewt wrote:

I know I've been looking for how to do spherical mapping and haven't found it although I've seen it on a Youtube video done by Autodesk.

I did not even see this the first time around - your problem is getting lost in all the noise.
You should have posted a new thread specific to this problem statement.

And attach the YouTube url...

you might also read this, "How to ask a question..." for some general tips using any on-line forum...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!