Active Contributor
32 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 1 of 7

Control linetype scaling - MSLTSCALE / PSLTSCALE

2256 Views, 6 Replies
10-19-2012 01:52 AM

Hi,

I think the MSLTSCALE / PSLTSCALE / annotation scales are fantastic to use when showing the details / plan at different scales (1:100 / 1:50 / 1:1) without having to use LTS to show different scales.  I am using AutoCAD 2011.

However, I noticed one snag. In the old Autocad before the MSLTSCALE was introduced, I used a shape linetype - a sino shape which I created for insulation in the wall cavity as well for curtain in the interior plan layout (with MSLTSCALE set at 0 and LTS set at scale factor at 1 and use paperspace scaling at desired scale.

When MSLTSCALE / PSLTSCALE are set at 1, the sino linetype will of course changed accordingly to different scale .

I prefer to keep the MSLTSCALE / PSLTSCALE at the default 1 with LTS at  scale factor 1 as I want the dashed linetypes to updated accordingly to the scale. At the same time I don't want to have the sino linetype changed (keeping the sino linetype at constant 100mm width). Is there a way to control one linetype at MSLTSCALE = 0 and keep the rest of the linetypes at MSLTSCALE = 1.

I don't think it is possible as MSLTSCALE is for general setup. Instead I would have to forgo using the sino lintype and used a block instead. But I would like to hear if anyone know there is a way to control an individual linetype scaling.

*Expert Elite*
1,056 Posts
116 Kudos
Post 2 of 7

Re: Control linetype scaling - MSLTSCALE / PSLTSCALE

10-19-2012 08:47 AM in reply to: nickdoos

I don't know if this would work but have you tried putting the insulation on its own layer and making it a block? This is after inserting it in the appropriate scales for the varying cavity widths.

The next possibility is to get the hatch the way you like, and then explode it -- for which i will get royally thumped in this forum lol.

The third possibility is to create a hatch that will do the trick. I made one long ago that was scaled at 1 by default, so if my cavity was 3 1/2" all i had to do was scale it by 3.5 when I inserted it. I created it to not fall apart for 600 feet, but I don't have it now...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:
Active Contributor
32 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 3 of 7

10-19-2012 11:26 AM in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle
Thank you for the interesting options especially with the idea of exploding the hatch lol. Basically, the use of polyline with sino linetype works very well in a curved wall and in length. For example a wave curtain in front of curved wall. I prefer to keep the width of the sino line at 100mm (the width of the curtain) constant on the plan whilst have the other linetypes ie dashed vary automatically to the scale. The same applies to the insulation but in this case hatch is a better solution as it is in void of a cavity. Thanks for the suggestions.
*Expert Elite*
1,056 Posts
116 Kudos
Post 4 of 7

10-22-2012 09:16 AM in reply to: nickdoos

I just wanted to add that in that insulation hatch, I was using a series of straight line segments that gives the illusion of the curved batting symbol, since hatches are fairly easy to define once you understand all of that pen-down/pen-up/angle and repeat stuff...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:
*Expert Elite*
1,660 Posts
190 Kudos
Post 5 of 7

10-23-2012 11:14 AM in reply to: nickdoos

Another option is to download a lisp to explode a line with such a linetype.  LINEXP.LSP from CAD Forum will work.  Then use mpedit to join the resulting elements into a polyline.  Don't let batt insulation linetypes govern the way you use the linetype system.

I tried the batting linetype for a few hours before giving up on it and went to using the detailer in a vertical like ACA or a dynamic block.

Active Contributor
32 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 6 of 7

10-23-2012 12:10 PM in reply to: dbroad
That is clever suggestion. I will give a go and see if i like that method.
Mentor
165 Posts
11 Kudos
Post 7 of 7

07-17-2013 07:48 PM in reply to: nickdoos

I have a similar issue where I am creating a template for surveying, including linetypes for various features. Some features I would like the linetype to represent absolute (real world) dimensions, such a culvert diameters or road markings with set dash lengths. Other features such as fences or services I want the linetypes to change with the viewport scale.

Any ideas how I could acheive this?

Regards

Caleb Baildon
Surveyor
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Greymouth, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows7 64bit
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the future of the Autodesk Community? To participate in this brief usability study, please click here. Your time and input is greatly appreciated!