Did you mean: 

Comparing autocad settings on two different machines - AutoCAD 2012

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
autogis
681 Views, 10 Replies

Comparing autocad settings on two different machines - AutoCAD 2012

I have an issue that is occurring on one machine but not another machine. (AutoCAD 2012)  My question is, is there a tool to compare ALL the settings one one machine compared to another machine?  The closest thing I have come accross is SYSVDLG but not even that shows all of the user settings/autocad settings.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Patchy
in reply to: autogis

What type of issue?

Using SYSVDLG only shows you the variables.

There are many different settings that keep in .CUI, Search path, Windows (fonts).........

You have to use (findfile "....") to find out where they are.

Message 3 of 11
dmfrazier

"...is there a tool to compare ALL the settings one one machine compared to another machine?...not even [SYSVDLG] shows all of the user settings/autocad settings..."

Which settings do you think SYSVDLG might not show?  (What issue are you trying to resolve?)

I'm not sure about the availability of a "tool" specifically for this purpose, but one thing you could try is to export a profile (ARG) from the "good" machine and import it onto the "bad" machine.  (Be sure to export the current profile first, so you can get it back if necessary.)  If there are path differences other than those based on Windows user name (which should adjust automatically), you might have to adjust those manually, which can be done by editing the ARG file before importing it, or by changing them via Options after importing.

Message 4 of 11
autogis
in reply to: dmfrazier

The specific issue that is occurring is that one machine has an extra viewport that is being generated on top of a layout.  I was able to reproduce the issue by using the "Import AutoCAD 2012 settings" and importing the "bad" settings unto a developer machine, thus reproducing the issue.  Now what I would like to know is what is the specific differences in one machine's settings as compared to the other machine's settings.  ARG Sounds like an option, is there a utility to compare one ARG file against another?

Thanks,

Message 5 of 11
dmfrazier

ARG files are just text files, so any text file compare tool should work.  (I don't have any recommendations.)

Have you ruled out that it is DWG based (e.g. a setting stored in a template)?

Message 6 of 11
RockyBrown4134

Could the drawing file used as a template have two viewports, one overlapping the other?

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
AutoCAD 2020 / Inventor 2020 / Plant 3D
Message 7 of 11
martti.halminen

@dmfrazier wrote:

ARG files are just text files, so any text file compare tool should work.  (I don't have any recommendations.)

The file comparison tool we use is Kdiff3.  http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/

--

Message 8 of 11
autogis
in reply to: RockyBrown4134

>>Could the drawing file used as a template have two viewports, one overlapping the other?

If that was the case, then wouldn't the extra viewport show in both machines?

Message 9 of 11
RockyBrown4134

True. I was thinking of the simplest thing that might have gotten overlooked, since "two machines" were mentioned. 

I may have also misunderstood the original question. Are you acessing the same drawing or template located at the same location, on a shared drive? Or is it the same file name located in the same location on two different hard drives?

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
AutoCAD 2020 / Inventor 2020 / Plant 3D
Message 10 of 11
autogis
in reply to: RockyBrown4134

I was able to fix the problem and get rid of the extra viewport.  I started testing differences in the good and bad arg files a couple at a time.  Finally, I pinpointed the problem to the "DefaultConfig" setting.  This setting is actually the Default Output Device.  I noticed on the bad arg it was set to a network printer.  On the good arg it was set to "Microsoft XPS Document Writer".  I set the bad arg to a Default Output Device of "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" by updating the following line in the bad arg file:

"DefaultConfig"="Microsoft XPS Document Writer"

That solved the issue and got rid of the extra viewport!

Thanks dmfrazier for the tip on checking the arg file settings!

Thanks to all others who commented also.

Message 11 of 11
dmfrazier

I'm glad you found the cause and resolved the issue.

I must admit, however, that the solution doesn't make any sense to me!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost