AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Distinguished Contributor
quattda
Message 1 of 3 (370 Views)

Change Plane

370 Views, 2 Replies
05-03-2012 01:09 PM

I have a set of textbook instructions for an earlier version of AutoCAD related to orienting and creating 3D Wireframes. The directions go something like this:

"Draw the object on the front plane. Change the plan (top) view to the elevation (front) view of the drawing. From the View menu, select 3D Viewport and then select Front. You must also change the UCS command, enter V to activate the View option, press Enter. Reenter the UCS command, enter S to activate the Save option, and name the UCS Front"

I have tried all sorts of variations to get this series of steps to work but can not seem to find the right series of steps in v 2012. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 2 of 3 (367 Views)

Re: Change Plane

05-03-2012 01:20 PM in reply to: quattda

Put this book back on the shelf, go to youtube.com there are a few demo from Autodesk to show you 3d

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 3 of 3 (360 Views)

Re: Change Plane

05-03-2012 02:25 PM in reply to: quattda

First, are the Viewport Controls showing up in the upper left part of the graphics screen?  They will show as

[-][Custom View][2D Wireframe]

If not, use Options, 3DModeling Tab, lower left, place a check mark next to "Display the Viewport Controls."

Pick OK to exit Options.

Now pick on the Custom View, a list will pop down, select SW Isometric.

Your view of your object will change into an Iso view.  Now in the lower portion of AutoCAD there are a series of buttons, fine the one for "DUCS" which stands for Dynamic UCS, and toggle that on if it isn't already on, pick once and the icon will be on or off, so pick so that it is on.

Now start the line command, turn Ortho on (press F8 or pick the icon at the bottom of the screen for Ortho), snap to the endpoint of a line, pull your cursor up in the Z direction.  Watch next to the cursor and it will tell you that it is drawing in the Z direction. It will show something like "Ortho: 4" < +Z"  Pick another point.  Congrats, you are drawing in 3 dimensions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.