Centerline Alignment

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
wixond
1389 Views, 7 Replies

Centerline Alignment

Hello,

I would like to create an alignment from a polyline in Civil 2010. The file I am working in has been used in 2014 and 2010 back and forth at work. When I go to create the alignment, it prompts the error: "command not allowed because drawing contains objects from a newer version of this application."  Is there any way around this, or do i have to work in the 2014 version, which I don't have on my computer at work.

Any help appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
justshutup
in reply to: wixond

@wixond wrote:

Hello,

I would like to create an alignment from a polyline in Civil 2010. The file I am working in has been used in 2014 and 2010 back and forth at work. When I go to create the alignment, it prompts the error: "command not allowed because drawing contains objects from a newer version of this application."  Is there any way around this, or do i have to work in the 2014 version, which I don't have on my computer at work.

Any help appreciated!

You'll probably get more traction over in the Civil 3D forum.

Message 3 of 8
doni49

No -- once C3D data has been saved in 2014 format, it can't be opened in 2010.  A dwg file can be downsaved but not C3D data.

Save your dwg file as 2010.  Then in 2010 open a new dwg file.  XRef your original file in (so you can orient yourself properly) and create your alignment there.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 8
wixond
in reply to: doni49

That is one way of doing it. Is there any way to import the centerline into the original dwg?

Message 5 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Is there any way to import the centerline into the original dwg?

You can use LANDXML export from your 2014 drawing and import that XML in Civil 3D 2010, then you get the alignment as object, but not the styles for the alignment and the alignment labeling. Those have to be set in the destination drawing.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 8
wixond
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for the information! It is looking like my best option is to work on the project in CAD 2014.

Message 7 of 8
wixond
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Land xml does not work due to proxy settings.

Message 8 of 8
wixond
in reply to: doni49

I figured out the best way, and this is very close. I created the cl in the original dwg (map2010), then copied into civil 2010. i created the cl alignment and exploded it. you have to explode the alignment for it to work. Finally, you have xref the cl alignment dwg into the original. if you want to edit it, it only works through the cl dwg.

Thank you for all the input.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost