AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Distinguished Contributor
kimmyz
Message 1 of 11 (253 Views)

Can't get LWPolylines to join

253 Views, 10 Replies
04-11-2012 09:43 AM

I'm using AutoCAD 2011.  Lately I'm having lots of trouble getting LWPOLYLINES to join, end-to-end.  They were all created with the same UCS on elevation zero.  Some are arcs, and some are straight segments.  I've used PEDIT, MPEDIT, JOIN.  Nothing works.  They are definitely end-to-end.  What am I doing wrong?

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 11 (252 Views)

Re: Can't get LWPolylines to join

04-11-2012 09:46 AM in reply to: kimmyz

Hi,

>> Nothing works

What message do you get from AutoCAD

Can you  upload a drawing with at least a few of these geometry objects for us to try?

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
kimmyz
Message 3 of 11 (245 Views)

04-11-2012 10:25 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

>>What message do you get from AutoCAD?

It just says "0 polylines joined".

Unfortunately, I can't email you the drawing because we couldn't wait for a solution.  My workaround was to erase the arcs and redraw, simulating the arcs with regular polylines (not LWPLINES).  It doesn't look nearly as nice, but that's the only thing that seems to work.  I have a LSP routine (CONVPLNES) that converts LWPlines to the old PLINES.  Even that would not join the ARCs to the PLINEs that are most certainly end-to-end.

Valued Contributor
stevecee
Message 4 of 11 (241 Views)

04-11-2012 10:41 AM in reply to: kimmyz

I know you said you checked the UCS, but it would hurt to run the "flatten" command to see if that improves things.

Unless, you've already tried that.

^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^
°°AutoCAD Rel 1 - 2014°°

For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks-not that you won or lost-
But how you played the game.
Grantland Rice
kimmyz
Message 5 of 11 (236 Views)

04-11-2012 10:42 AM in reply to: stevecee

Yes, I did already try that.  Still no luck.  Next time I have this same problem, I'll save a copy of the drawing and upload it to you.  Thanks for trying to help.

Valued Contributor
FFlix
Message 6 of 11 (234 Views)

04-11-2012 10:45 AM in reply to: kimmyz

also:

1.) is PLINEACCEPT set to 1? if so, when using PEDIT, then chosing [M], are selected non-polylines converted into polylines (as expected)? (there's no immediate feedback on any succesful conversion but any converted entity should remain a polyline if you then escape the PEDIT.)

2.) provided they are, i.e. all selected entities now are polylines, when then you chose the JOIN option for joining these selected polylines, do you get different results when increasing TOLERANCE at the prompt?

kimmyz
Message 7 of 11 (229 Views)

04-11-2012 10:55 AM in reply to: FFlix

There's no PLINEACCEPT command or system variable in AutoCAD 11.  The arcs and LWPlines were created end-to-end with OSNAPS, so tolerance shouldn't be an issue.  I was very careful to make sure they were end-to-end.

Valued Contributor
FFlix
Message 8 of 11 (211 Views)

04-11-2012 12:56 PM in reply to: kimmyz

my apologies, it's PEDITACCEPT (as opposed to plineaccept).

on the risk of sounding pedantic, have you 1.) confirmed that the selected entities are indeed converted into polylines (either via systemvariable or prompt)? and if so, have you 2.) tried increasing the tolerance?

to explain: OSNAP may work perfectly accurate, however all point properties need to be stored as x,y and z-coordinate etc in the .dwg database until some time later they may be used by the JOIN routine. as a user, it's obvious the points should connect, however, in computing terms it's handling x numbers to the yth decimal. setting a TOLERANCE simply tells acad to take it easy and put 1 and 1 together.

kimmyz
Message 9 of 11 (209 Views)

04-11-2012 01:05 PM in reply to: FFlix

PEDITACCEPT is set to 1.  Next time I'll try to change the tolerance to see if that works.

I did definitely check to see if they were indeed converted to PLINES.  They all were except that the arcs were listed as ARCs (not polylines).  Do the arcs have to list as PLINES in order to do a join?

Distinguished Mentor
thepworth
Message 10 of 11 (198 Views)

04-11-2012 02:10 PM in reply to: kimmyz

also - it used to be a problem if you had polylines going ---> <----- (opposite directions at the join).  Try using the new "reverse" command and joining.

I usually chicken out & use "mapclean" through Map3D / C3D that resolves this issue - probably doesn't help you tho :smileysad:

C3D 2011
Intel Xeon E5630@2.53Ghz
NVIDA Quadro NVS420 Dual Monitor
12GB Ram / Win7 Professional 64bit SP1
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.