AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

h.moore1
Message 1 of 5 (1,984 Views)

CAD 2010 Drawing portions randomly scaling

1984 Views, 4 Replies
01-09-2013 02:17 PM

Here is a fun one that cost me a lot of hours this morning to fix.

I have been working on this one file since early December. No problems until yesterday into today.

I work in both metric and imperial dimensions. I specify european cabinetry, and most of the architectural drawings i receive are for US clientelle so they're in ft and inches. When dimensioning, it's important that the cm dimensions are accurate for the factory, but the inches are accurate for the contractors.

So my drawing had 1 plan and 4 elevations. All drawn correctly. All scaled together, never one at a time. Yesterday morning everything printed correctly with this drawing.

Randomly, after some very minor changes to the drawing, 1 elevation remained at the correct scale and the plan, and 3 elevations randomly scaled down and at different scales from each other. Also, when i plotted this to a printer it matched what was on the screen. When i plotted it to PDF immediately after, the PDF's reflected 5 totally different scales where all 5 drawings and didn't match the screen or print. For example: a cabinet height in one elevation was 87cm, the next 86cm , and the next 83.9cm. Printed to pdf at totally different dimensions (see attached).

The file was closed and reopened, and the plan, and 2 different elevations were at an even different scale, smaller scale than before. They more closely matched what I got when plotting to a PDF.

I purged, and audited (no errors found), I copied only the bare bones necessary info into a new document, and scaled everything by reference to the size it needed to be. Most of the drawing automatically corrected themselves to the correct dimensions with the one step.

However, certain lines on my plans scaled at a far greater scale, while one wall was accurate, and one wall was off just a fraction. So even though i selected the entire thing and scaled it up together, different layers scaled differently. Basically i had to redraw the plan almost entirely.

The same happened with 3 of the 4 elevations. One section scaled correctly, one section scaled more than it should have and made that portion off.

So i had to redo that elevation as well.

I created guidelines and set them where they need to be to align every single wall and cabinet and locked the layer in the hopes that if things move again, the guides will remain.

This has happened randomly with drawings previously, but only by a degree of .1 to .3 cm.  I figured this was from scaling the drawings and dimension accuracy. While that was annoying, it was minor. This time we're looking at 2-8 inches difference which can really mess up a job if unnoticed.

Any suggestions on what could cause only portions of drawings to scale differently than the rest and at random times even when the scale command hasn't been used? And between closing a document and reopening it? AND from printing to a printer and to a PDF?

I have attached images of the pdf prints. All of the base cabinets were drawn in a line at 87cm and the plan was drawn accurately as well. The sink elevation doesnt match the island and the plan doesn't match the elevations.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 5 (1,939 Views)

Re: CAD 2010 Drawing portions randomly scaling

01-10-2013 05:37 AM in reply to: h.moore1

Post the DWG please, not pictures of PDF files: while long, your post is light on details about the DWG setup and printing options you have chosen.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
h.moore1
Message 3 of 5 (1,931 Views)

01-10-2013 07:55 AM in reply to: pendean

Sure thing. 

Sorry i don't think i've ever posted anything on here previously.

The drawings were resized yesterday, and i've removied all title blocks from the drawing. But this is the specific file that had the error, not the new one i'm working out of. 

However, the new drawing looks like it's having similar scaling issues, although it hasn't seemed to scale sections at random yet and my locked guide lines are staying in place.

I'm just going to convert all inches to cm and manually change dimensions that are off... because they will be when converting no matter how many decimal places i use. 

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 5 (1,903 Views)

01-10-2013 03:42 PM in reply to: h.moore1

Other than the fact that you don't lock your viewports (may be why your drawings get out of wack), your 1/2" scale elevations and your 3/8" plan print aqnd measure perfectly here.

So how do I trigger this scaling error? Are you just accidentally changing the zoom factor in the viewport? or are you printing to PDF, then when you use a PDF Reader to print the PDF you forget to uncheck the "fit" option in the reader's pop-up?

Tell me how to recreate the error please.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Aa13617301919
Message 5 of 5 (1,421 Views)

11-15-2013 04:10 PM in reply to: h.moore1

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.