AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
RogerCusson
Message 1 of 13 (413 Views)

Body Object

413 Views, 12 Replies
04-17-2012 07:17 AM

I work in a visualization company, and we have several clients who send us DWG files which they have exported from Revit. We have asked them to export to Solids, but in the DWG file in several location the are Body objects. The whole point of doing this is so that we can manipulate the solids (mostly by unions) to eliminate overlaping surfaces. The Body objects we can't do anything with.

Does anyone know if we can convert the body object to a solid? Or is there some way we can eliminate the problem from Revit.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 13 (395 Views)

Re: Body Object

04-17-2012 11:09 AM in reply to: RogerCusson

I don't know anything about Revit, but I have Stitched Body objects into solids in Inventor. I assume Inventor fusion will do the same.

I doubt you will get anywhere in AutoCAD.
Can you attach an example Body (preferably in the Inventor forum).

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Active Contributor
jclong
Message 3 of 13 (338 Views)

07-22-2013 01:14 PM in reply to: RogerCusson

So after seven years, this question still stands?

I'm looking for answers to the same problem using ACAD 2013 and a Revit file from Revit 2011.  I have downloaded and installed a Trial version of Revit 2014 but have only managed to export 2 Revit files to plain solid objects but did not figure out how to retain the layering structure so everything is on Layer Zero.

After requesting that the Engineering firm try to export their file as Solids and retain the Layer Properties, some of what appeard to be solids were "Bodies"

Guess I'll keep searching the WEB..

Valued Contributor
tbennett
Message 4 of 13 (317 Views)

07-23-2013 08:39 AM in reply to: jclong

This sounds like a Revit question.  I'd hit that group up instead... maybe you already did.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Active Contributor
jclong
Message 5 of 13 (307 Views)

07-23-2013 12:00 PM in reply to: tbennett

Thanks, 

yes, I've been looking at both groups..     It's a problem that occurs when an exported file from Revit is opened in Autocad.   Autocad identifies some of the 3D Looking objects as "Body".   They are not Solids like the other exported elements but now it becomes an Autocad problem on how to deal with them other than to explode them and then try to work with the Regions that are left.

Exporting them to ACIS from Autocad and then bringing them back almost works but the ones I tried returned as faces.

Exporting from Revit as ACIS Solids does not produce any Body Objects, but then when Importing the ACIS file to Autocad, everything comes in as Layer Zero.

When Exporting from Revit using the Solids Option and then Exporting to DWG / DXF, the layer structure can be retained to some degree but then we get "Body" objects.

This is when Exporting a Revit 2011 file from the Engineer's Revit Model to Autocad 2013 and I have also duplicated the results using the 30 day Trial version of Revit 2014.

I'll keep looking but would still appreciate any tips on where to look or how to resolve...   Thanks !

Valued Contributor
tbennett
Message 6 of 13 (303 Views)

07-23-2013 12:10 PM in reply to: jclong

Can you attach an example?  I'll play around and see what I can come up with.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Active Contributor
jclong
Message 7 of 13 (297 Views)

07-23-2013 01:05 PM in reply to: tbennett

OK,  I took the smallest file and using quick select, copied all of the Body Objects to the right.  The also exist on the left with in the original location with all of the other exported elements..  (Solids, Blocks etc.)

This file was exported directly from the Engineering firm in their first attempt to export solids that retained layer names for better help in isolating different components.

The goal being to export the entire Mechanical systems for which this is just a very small part of the foundation to then allow each of the MEP team to extract their system from the main model and continue on.

The task is to find if there is a way to convert the "Body" elments to simple solids that can be sliced and unioned again.

Exploding one turns it into a group of Regions. I have tested what it takes to explode and then extrude one side region to obtrain a solid and though it works, it is only reasonable on the flat objects where you are left with one flat region to work with..

See what you can do and thanks for trying.

Curt

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 8 of 13 (287 Views)

07-23-2013 03:19 PM in reply to: jclong

If I do an Explode on one of the Bodies and then do Sculpt (surfsculpt) I get a 3DSolid.

(make sure your active layer is correct)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Active Contributor
jclong
Message 9 of 13 (277 Views)

07-23-2013 05:15 PM in reply to: JDMather

Very nice!  Not perfect but much better than what I tried before and I see that layers are important.  I explored a few different ways to modify larger selections or multiple objects in one command and I see that they become one.  And in some cases, that's not a bad thing as the building is more important to us as a 3D background.

And if anyone can come up with any other tricks for dealing with strange objects from Revit Exports or any other program, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks!

Curt

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 10 of 13 (271 Views)

07-23-2013 08:24 PM in reply to: jclong

jclong wrote:
 I see that they become one.  And in some cases, that's not a bad thing as the building is more important to us as a 3D background.

Curt

You can run the solidediit>separate to separate the one into many, but you have to do this as many times as there are combined bodies (I don't use AutoCAD much anymore, so I'm not sure if there is a way to do it with one Separate).
It seemed to me like the easiest way was to do each body individually so that they doen't combine.

I haven't tried this, but you might also investigate Autodesk Fusion and see how it handles Bodies.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.