Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

block with weird preview thumbnail

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
morganism3
564 Views, 4 Replies

block with weird preview thumbnail

I have a block that has trouble with the preview image that comes up as a thumbnail on the right column in design center. The image always just shows a dot, instead of the correct image. I have tried going into the file I'm pulling the block from and using _blockicon, but no luck. I tried going into the file I'm pulling the block from and zooming to extents and selecting all to see if maybe there was some stray mark that the computer might be trying to use as the preview. Again, no luck. What else could I try to fix the problem? (this was previously posted but I have re-posted so I could include the referenced file.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
nestly2
in reply to: morganism3

The "Weather Proof" visibility is using MTEXT with dynamic columns enabled and a defined width of 18.7291 which is causing the preview to include the defined width of the column.   Turn off Dynamic Columns for that MTEXT object (WP), and change the defined width to zero using the Properties Palette within the block editor.   (or just change the "WP" MTEXT to TEXT, like the other 4 text objects)

Message 3 of 5
morganism3
in reply to: nestly2

Thank you, but can you walk me step by step through the commands I'll need? I've never had to address any of this before.

Also, I've noticed that preview thumbnails for annotative objects frequently show up too small. Do you know if there's a specific issue for annotative blocks that causes this to happen, and how to get around it?

And seriously, THANK YOU! Y'all have been so helpful for me and yet it's a free service! When I graduated in drafting I was the top student and I really believed that I was an all-star at AutoCAD . . . Being a part of this forum has taught me that there is SOOOOO much more to this program than I ever knew.
This email contains protected confidential business information from Total Safety. Recipients should not forward this information except on a need to know basis in order to promote the business concerned and should not file copies of this information with publicly accessible records. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained in this email is prohibited.
Message 4 of 5
nestly2
in reply to: morganism3

Here's a video demo.  http://www.screencast.com/t/eHvsatdf

If you have other blocks with similar problem, I would check them to see if they also contain MTEXT object(s) that have defined widths much wider than needed.

(BTW, I used a "Classic" workspace to make the demo, so if you're using the Ribbon, your Block editor will look a bit different but you should still be able to find the equivalent tools)

Message 5 of 5
morganism3
in reply to: nestly2

I've got another question if you're willing to humor me . . . How did the columns and global width "get in there"? Is there some common mistake a person could commit that would "accidentally" make them like that?

And if you're really willing to indulge me . . . why would you want to use dynamic columns and global width to begin with? What exactly do they do, anyway?
This email contains protected confidential business information from Total Safety. Recipients should not forward this information except on a need to know basis in order to promote the business concerned and should not file copies of this information with publicly accessible records. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained in this email is prohibited.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost