Did you mean:Ā 

block library

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
thanhtike.myn
1012 Views, 6 Replies

block library

Hi all,

i have more than hundreds of blocks created in one drawing and i have to reuse it for new drawings.

So whenever i need some blocks i have to reopen that drawing and insert them by using Design center. My problem is i have to look through design center properly to get the blocks. i got to know that i can create CUI file and manage those block in menubar by creating individual tabs. so tat i don't need to open the drawing and just insert it from menubar. Anyone can help me explain how to create that cui file and manage it in menubar?

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi,

>> i got to know that i can create CUI file

Sorry, I don't know of such a functionality.

BUT I guess you mean the creation of a toolpalette ... and that can be done from the designcenter, select the section "blocks" from that drawing and right-click to get the option for creating toolpalettes based on the blockdefinitions.

2014-04-08 11-33-11.png

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 7

Hi,

Apprciate for your reply . Actually your idea is easier than what i am asking but i still want to know about creating the customization file(.cuix) and manage in the CUI. Anyway thanks alot.

Message 4 of 7
pendean
in reply to: thanhtike.myn

That's not a praticzal idea unless you want your CUIx macro to INSERT the entire block file first then INSERT the individual block every time.
Menubar clutter being replaced with an organized ToolPalette is a better solution IMHO.
Message 5 of 7

OP start with the advice given. I have groups of related blocks in one Container drawing, then other rgoups of similarly related blocks in another, and so on.

If you have a container drawing open, and the Design Center, and a new tool palette, you can use the DC to dipslay all of the blocks in the drawing, and then drag and drop one at a time on your new palette. from there, just drag from the palette into your new drawing. This will work fine as long as the path to your container drawing never changes.

From my experience if you want to use a button or a pulldown menu to insert a block, the block has to be separate, and you need to have a macro so you can perform a lot of other things on that block once inserted. Otherwise it's kind of a waste to go to the trouble, when a toolpallette will work just fine.

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted šŸ™‚
Message 6 of 7

For what it's worth.......

1) Create a library folder where you can Wblock the blocks out to. Example: c:\MyBlocks. Make subfolders for different categories if needed

2) Add the folder(s) to the Support File Support Path. On the menu bar,select Tools> Options. Or "Options" (OP) at the command line.

3) Two options you can explore:

a. Create a tool palettes for the blocks. (From folders)

b. Create a pull down menu, or toolbar item in the CUI.  Look in the help file for "Create

and Use Command Tools" and "Customizing the CUI". Just as Dean said, menu bars

can get cluttered. Customizing the CUI is easier that one thinks, once you get familiar

with it. Just remember to create an "enterprise" CUI and make your customized 

commands there. This will allow you to not over-write the main CUI, and helps

manage the custom commands, especially when upgrading to a newer version..

We use both methods.

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
AutoCAD 2020 / Inventor 2020 / Plant 3D
Message 7 of 7

"This will work fine as long as the path to your container drawing never changes"

Hi  Bob

Appreciate your reply and wondering you have any idea if the path of the container drawing has been changed? So that the block can't be used anymore from Tool Pallet since the path has been changed. How can we modify the path again?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost