AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

JoeMin
Message 1 of 6 (3,018 Views)
Accepted Solution

Bind Xref Layers to the Master Layers

3018 Views, 5 Replies
03-20-2012 11:29 AM

Situation:

I am currently updating and coming up with a better system for are plant layout file for AutoCAD. When this project is complete, it will be set up so if someone needs to make a change they can just make a copy of the X-Ref file for the area they will be updating and hand it back in when there done. I will review the updated X-Ref then switch out the old X-Ref file for the updated one.

Problem:

the problem I am having is when I am in the master drawing that contains all the X-Ref files, the layers list becomes enormous. There are about 30 to 40 different X-Ref files with 15 layers each. Those 15 layers contain the exact same information but you have to edit them individually.

Question:

Is there a way to make the 15 layers in the master effect the corresponding layer in all the X-ref files? For instance, you hide the “Machines” layer in the master and it hides the “Machines” layer in all the X-ref.

Side Note:

If you were going to make the suggestion “use Xbind” I’ve tried it and it doesn’t work well because “Xbind” creates a new layer you have to assign to things instead of making the layers relate to one another.

Thanks in advance for the help.

You can right click on a filter and change its visibility from the pop up menu.

If you want true layer merging, you could chnage the system variable BINDTYPE to 1 and bind the XREFs.  It would eliminate the "xref|" prefix from the layer names.  Drawback is that you would need to insert them in as block whenever they are updated.

*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 2 of 6 (3,013 Views)

Re: Bind Xref Layers to the Master Layers

03-20-2012 01:00 PM in reply to: JoeMin

Create Layer Property Filers from Layer Manager.  For example, a Filter named *Machine* would include all Layers with 'Machine' in their name, whether they are from XREFs or in the drawing.

JoeMin
Message 3 of 6 (2,997 Views)

03-21-2012 06:49 AM in reply to: JoeMin

Thanks, that works way better and faster then what I had been doing. This works much better then doing things one by one.

There are still quite a few steps to it, especially for people who aren’t as fluent with AutoCAD and there will be a lot of people that aren’t as fluent that will be using this when it’s complete.

Steps required:

Open layer properties manager à click on the filtered group à select all layers in the filter à click the hide toggle switch.

Is there a way to make each filtered group in the layer properties manager shows up as a single item (one for Master I-Beams, one for Master Machine and so one.) in the drop down for the layers toolbar? (example: you click on the dropdown in the layers toolbar and Master I-Beam and Master Machine show up as something you can change around like a normal layer) that way its something everyone would be familiar with.

Desired Steps Required:

Click on the dropdown in the layers toolbar à toggle desired line property. (On/Off, freeze, lock, extra).

If this is not possible the properties filters suggested by ToanDN will work. I’m just trying to make things as simple for everyone that not familiar with this particular AutoCAD file.

*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 4 of 6 (2,991 Views)

03-21-2012 09:36 AM in reply to: JoeMin

You can right click on a filter and change its visibility from the pop up menu.

If you want true layer merging, you could chnage the system variable BINDTYPE to 1 and bind the XREFs.  It would eliminate the "xref|" prefix from the layer names.  Drawback is that you would need to insert them in as block whenever they are updated.

JoeMin
Message 5 of 6 (2,969 Views)

03-22-2012 07:26 AM in reply to: ToanDN

thanks, that minimized alot of work!

hlk.khr
Message 6 of 6 (2,040 Views)

02-18-2013 06:56 AM in reply to: JoeMin

Hi,

I want to suggest a way to how it works. I generally usings at the bind window not 'BIND' i always use 'INSERT'. Thus you will not meet with un unreconciled layer names. You will meet eith your total layer names. You should try it.

Good luck.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.