Batch Plotting Model Space Drawings

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
360-94821637
5128 Views, 8 Replies

Batch Plotting Model Space Drawings

All:

I am trying to batch plot individual file, model space drawings to PDF using AutoCAD 2012 MEP.    The scale and page setup can vary from file to file (which seems to be the challenge).  I have been trying to make this work using Publish, but have been getting errors such as "device not found".

Any advice on how to make this work?  If Publish won't work, is there an add-on that will?  I do appreciate your input as I am somewhat desperate at this point.

Thanks, Dave

Jacksonville, Florida

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
hwalker
in reply to: 360-94821637

Welcome to the Forums

Never if you can help it use modelspace for plotting.

Set up individual paperspace layouts with the views you want and also what printer setup you want.

You can then use publish to print out the individual page layouts correctly.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 9
360-94821637
in reply to: hwalker

Dear Left handed and PROUD:

I agree that it certainly is easier to batch plot from paperspace, but the drawings that we have to work with are in model space with different scales.  Is there a way to make this work?  We need to submit PDFs and I don't want to have to open each drawing and print to a PDF individually.

Thanks Again, 

Dave

Message 4 of 9
jggerth1

you caqn use named page setups in modelspace -- of course you'll have to open each one up and create the pagesetup for the device, scale, extents, limits, etc.

Message 5 of 9
360-94821637
in reply to: jggerth1

JGerth:

Thanks so much for the input.   We are creating named page setups in modelspace -- each with a device, scale, area, plot style table, etc..  The current problem seems to be with the name of the plotter for plotting to PDF.  Publish gives me the following error:  "Device not found".  Our pc3 file is called "Adobe PDF (ARCH D - 24x36).pc3."  See attachments for a print screen view of a typical page setup and error messsage from Publish.

I really do appreciate the help!

Dave

Jacksonville, Florida

Message 6 of 9
hwalker

Have you tried using the inbuilt DWG to PDF.pc3 file?

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 7 of 9
360-94821637
in reply to: hwalker

We reinstalled the built-in DWG to PDF.pc3 file and that seems to have solved the problem!  Thanks so much for the input.  By the way, I do have one more question... Publish wants to grab the empty paper space tab along with the model space tab when you insert Sheets, so I have to delete the paperspace drawings before printing.  Is there anyway to stop this?

Thanks Again,  Dave
Message 8 of 9
hansome_one

Well, I kind of had the same situation, maybe just a little different, so here is what I did.

Started with a blank new acad tmp / created a rectangle / RMB model tab and setup plot & page settings like device, paper size, acad.ctb, area "extents", scale to fit (scale was not an issue here).  Before closing dialog, create and save the page setup with a name (you will reference this name later).  Save and close the dwg file.  Now this file will be your reference for your plot setup in model space and can be used may times over and over and over.  Open a new file, go to publish, load all the dwg files that you want to batch plot, (minus the blank dwg that is open), in the page setup column of the first dwg select the "default:None" drop down and import.  Now you are going to go and point to the reference dwg file that was created previously (and that is what you select), then in the page setup column again select the drop down and go to the page setup that you saved from the other file. BOOM..

Now this worked for me because there was no little detail sketches outside of any of the TB's (hence model space only). I used extents for my area to plot, but you could also use limits if you have the same TB size in everyone (assuming, that is why I could use extents).  It took me a couple of tries to get it just right for at least 99% of the 3,800 files that I was working with, but it worked good and I learned something along the journey.  I am still using those same setups for a mojority of my weekly plotting.  FYI, I did create working notes while I was setting this up for ny own reference for later. Hope this might help a little bit. Sounds like you might have a couple hickups.

2016 Inventor
W7 - 64 bit
i7 2.6ghz
16g Ram - 3000M
Design Consultant
Message 9 of 9
whitney_jeff

Autodesk "hid" this option, I forget when it started.

Load one of your drawings in Publish.  Right-click in the part of the dialogue that lists the drawings - down at the bottom of the pop-up menu you have the choice of loading all layouts and modelspace - just left-click on the item that says load layouts.  Now you should be able to add all your drawings without having to delete the paper space layouts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost