AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
s.i.g.-koch
Message 1 of 6 (520 Views)

autosave

520 Views, 5 Replies
07-13-2010 07:06 AM

What setting is wrong, if I have set under options: automatic saving in a period of 10 min, if one path is shown in the attechment in my options, but I can´t  find by searching a file with the extension *. ac $ any result on the  drive "C" and by looking at this path there isn´t anything too, of cource?

Valued Contributor
newwavedd
Message 2 of 6 (517 Views)

Re: autosave

07-13-2010 07:16 AM in reply to: s.i.g.-koch

Autosave files have the extension .sv$

I'm actually not sure what the extension .ac$ is for.  I'll leave it for someone else to speak to.

Valued Mentor
Randy_Culp
Message 3 of 6 (497 Views)

07-13-2010 10:44 AM in reply to: s.i.g.-koch
As posted, the file extension for autosave is $sv, $ac files are temporary files created by AutoCAD during the execution of the application. AUTOSAVE is a safety feature designed to salvage work after a catostrophic application failure. It was never intended to replace proper and frequent saving procedures. With that in mind, understand that if you properly save or exit the file, the $sv files are deleted. If create bak files is active, previous $sv files may be renamed to .bak files (if they exist) the next time autosave fires.
Active Contributor
s.i.g.-koch
Message 4 of 6 (477 Views)

07-13-2010 11:06 PM in reply to: s.i.g.-koch

Many thanks, I´m not shure, that my English is so good to show, what I want to know:

I have now changed the setting in options so, how you told me (ac$), and will see, what will be.

My problem is, that many times I find in the morning another drawing, not is the same  one, what I saved at the evening of the last day. How can I restore the version of the last evening?

*Pro
Modman_4
Message 5 of 6 (466 Views)

07-14-2010 06:10 AM in reply to: s.i.g.-koch

Basically in addition to the automatic stuff, you need to rtain yourself to save manually every ten minutes, give or take.

As for your last question, here's a dumb one -- are you opening the same drawing from the same folder that you saved it in the night before? Read into Demand Loading and Indexing to see if you have that all set up properly. These ac$ and bak drawings won't have all the work in them that your main drawing would, because they are snapshots from earlier times (even if only a few minutes earlier). when you say the morning's drawing isn't the same as the previous evening's, are you saving manually before closing the drawing? Is there less work done on them? Or is there new work you didn't do? Does someone else work on your stuff overnight?

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! :smileyhappy:
Active Contributor
s.i.g.-koch
Message 6 of 6 (460 Views)

07-14-2010 06:56 AM in reply to: s.i.g.-koch

It´s different.

And there are not every time the same errors. But  in most cases are not saved the last working results or other- may be, at the first day I could plot a drawing with a pixel image in the background, there were only little mistakes (a wrong color or something similar). I have plotted one example and looked with my eyes. And  next morning I can not plot the pixel image in the background. The drawing is plotted, but I have only my vector graphics.

May be, that I´m making sometimes mistakes and open not the right file, but it happens to often.

May be, I do not close correctly: I always close with: close - do you want to save changes - yes.

Many thanks for your helping in advance, when I can organice, that there are copies of lost drawings  on my computer, it isn´t a problem to reorganise them, I did this sometimes in another office, where I was working before.

TodayI couldn´t find any ac$-file now also, if it is tomorrow also, I will write to you and I ask for helping.

Many thanks:smileyhappy:

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.