AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Valued Contributor
bjhuffine
Message 1 of 4 (939 Views)

Automatic Stretch in Dynamic Block For Attribute Value

939 Views, 3 Replies
06-07-2012 04:33 AM

We have specialized electrical schematic drawings on what is termed roll-drawings.  These roll-drawings are simply 12" tall and variable width type drawings.  We've had some as short as 24 inches and as long as 900 inches.  As a result we use these section dimensions to distinguish circuit boundaries.  It's not a real dimension, just a way to distinguish what circuit is located where.  I've tried to recreate it using a block for improved automation as currently we just use a lisp routine that draws an arrow and lines.  It looks like the screen capture of my block below.   Is it possible to have the inside endpoints of the lines automatically stretch outwardly toward the arrows as the attribute Value changs?

section dim.jpg

Product Support
zalant
Message 2 of 4 (921 Views)

Re: Automatic Stretch in Dynamic Block For Attribute Value

06-12-2012 08:22 AM in reply to: bjhuffine

In order to get what I think it is that you want, you could potentially combine dynamic stretch actions with geometric constraints.  

However, to simplify things, as it looks like you're not wanting to have an actual measurement in the miiddle, you could achieve the same result by overriding the numerical value in an associative dimension.  Either double-click the dimension to edit it, use DDEDIT and pick the dimension, or modify the Text Override field in the Properties palette (after selecting the dimension).

Please give that a shot and post back here whether or not it accomplishes your goal.

Zac Travis
Product Support
zalant
Message 3 of 4 (897 Views)

06-15-2012 10:51 AM in reply to: zalant

Did the suggestion above work to give you the desired result? Please post back here how things went.

Zac Travis
Valued Contributor
bjhuffine
Message 4 of 4 (862 Views)

07-11-2012 04:54 AM in reply to: bjhuffine

When you mentioned combining functionality, I wondered about overlapping stretch parameters.  I gave that a try and on some of the children ones I was able to do that by adjusting the distance multiplier.  So far it works well enough for now.  I do agree that the constraints seems to be a good way to go.  This will be my first expose to those, so I'll have to play around with them first and make sure I understand before trying that.  I've been so busy with other projects I haven't had a chance to.  Thank you so much for your reply!  After I get a chance to review constraints, I'll reply again and let you know how that came out.

NestedParameters.jpg

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.