Message 1 of 11
Kycau
4773 Views, 10 Replies

AutoCAD2011 dynamic block moveable attributes

I suppose it's a bug, and I wonder how can it be fixed:

If you edit attribute settings in a dynamic block, and put:

Constant: yes

Lock position: no

You can't neither change the position in the Model, nor edit text. I suppose that with this two settings selected the way showed above, one should be able to move the attribute in Model space.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: Kycau

Try posting your query in the Dynamic Block forum...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 11
dbroad

It is doing exactly what you asked for.  Constant means you cannot change it.  AutoCAD treats the attribute like text, which is part of the block rather than a separate entity following the block.  If you want to move the constant attribute, then add dynamic block parameters and actions to it.  If you just want the value preset, use that setting.  This allows you to change the value later.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 4 of 11
Kycau

well, that's kind of confusing, the fact that these two pairs of settings (and values) do the same thing:

Lock position: yes

Lock position: no

I would expect that in the 1st variant you CAN'T move a constant attribute, and in the 2nd variant you CAN move it )

Message 5 of 11
Charles_Shade

What you are likely seeing is that an Attribute in a Dynamic Block will not react to Actions that it is included in if the position is not Locked. Lock Positin is required for a Dynamic Actions to work on included Attributes.

Adding a Point Move to the Attribute is the preferred method for moving Attributes in a Dynamic Block.

This way it can be Locked and work with such Actions as Flip, Rotate, or Stretch and be moved to positions beyond what those Actions may do.

As dbroad said: Constant is a variable that controls how the Text in an Attribute is editable. From Help:

Whether an attribute is constant or variable. Whenever you insert a block that has a variable attribute, you are prompted to enter data to be stored with the block. Blocks can also use constant attributes whose values do not change. Constant attributes do not prompt you for a value when you insert the block.

Message 6 of 11
dbroad

I agree that it is confusing.  Constant attributes behave like text in blocks, not like attributes.  It is the one attribute type for which the lock position switch is irrelevant.  It also has a problem, not noted, that center alignment is not respected.  It aligns the tag centered but does not align the value centered.

If you want to move constant attributes, ignore the lock position switch and use dynamic block polar move.

If you want to move any other attibute, you have a choice:  Use the lock position together with a dynamic block action or uncheck lock position and use a dynamic block action to move it.

Message 7 of 11
Charles_Shade
in reply to: dbroad

And beware the consequences of unLocked Attribs in a Dynamic Block

Message 8 of 11
dbroad
in reply to: Charles_Shade

To my knowledge, there are no "consequences" for constant attributes.  Are you aware of any?

Message 9 of 11
Charles_Shade

Not for Constant and what you describe is the first I've heard of there being an issue.

Not Locking Attributes can lead to other issues like the Attrib not following a Stretch Action or Flip or ignoring a Vis State and the like.

Vis state example:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?150144-Attribute-wont-hide-for-Dynamic-Block

Message 10 of 11
dbroad
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I guess I think of it like this.  There is a choice.  Attribute move control via the normal attribute grips (unlocked) or have it via the dynamic block actions (locked).  So if you want a centered attribute to remain centered as the block stretches, you would want it locked.  Otherwise, if you just want arbitrary move control (unlocked).

Since the locked flag is ignored by constant attributes, it makes no difference which way it is set.

Message 11 of 11
Charles_Shade

Yep, and understanding how the two choices interact with other Actions is what we need to know.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost