09-10-2012 06:13 AM in reply to: XMistro

LT for android?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 42 of 112 (634 Views)

Re: AutoCAD support for Linux becoming a major management decision issue

09-10-2012 06:17 AM in reply to: martti.halminen

And by the same argument, you work for huge companies that expect all the software vendors to support all OS out there regardless: MSOffice doesn't, did you all cut the cord there? Adobe products don't, you also cut the cord there?

Be realistic, more large and small corporations seem to manage just fine as long as they has a world-class IT support that knows what to do, how to budget, and how to remain current with hardware and software.

Don't blame the Autodesk/Microsoft/Adobe for your IT's shortcommings, or your company's non-support for IT.

Contributor
colnelb
Message 43 of 112 (625 Views)

09-10-2012 07:48 AM in reply to: pendean

There has been a lot of re-thinking about the use MS Office products in general.  More and more we are finding that when documents are produced using the latest version of MS Office and then sent to others, the recipients are not able to read or print them properly.  Using older versions of MS Office does not have that problem.  Using Open Office also does not have that problem. The learning curve to convert to Open Office is very short, and the documents produced can be read and printed by MS Office as well as Open Office. 

The key here is that Open Office is compatible with Linux as well as MS Windows.  The use of general Linux workstations as well as Linux servers is not hampered by the perceived need to use MS products for general office and business environments.  In fact, migrating to Open Office and Linux not only cuts software costs and improves workstation performance, it is also a more secure computing environment. 

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 44 of 112 (612 Views)

09-10-2012 03:05 PM in reply to: colnelb

Security through obscurity is *not* security.  All major OS's are vulnerable; while Linux may be considered "more secure" through its methods, the open-source nature allows for more detailed approaches by those with lesser skills.  Not to mention, by accepting user contributions its possible to "contribute" carefully constructed back doors for later exploitation.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Valued Mentor
martti.halminen
Message 45 of 112 (589 Views)

09-11-2012 04:41 AM in reply to: pendean

pendean wrote:

And by the same argument, you work for huge companies that expect all the software vendors to support all OS out there regardless: MSOffice doesn't, did you all cut the cord there? Adobe products don't, you also cut the cord there?

Be realistic, more large and small corporations seem to manage just fine as long as they has a world-class IT support that knows what to do, how to budget, and how to remain current with hardware and software.

Don't blame the Autodesk/Microsoft/Adobe for your IT's shortcommings, or your company's non-support for IT.

You have been more lucky than me if you have found big companies wanting support for all OS. Those I have been involved with have been depressingly Windows-centric for desktop applications. Wouldn't surprise me if half our disk servers were running Linux, but as those are outsourced to IBM, I don't know.

I am just trying to hint that in any big company which has grown by mergers and acquisitions, there is sure to be plenty of existing programs and data which makes major environment changes rather painful; that 200 programs was just our factory, don't know what we have globally. Just our product group uses 9 different CAD systems, so even if there was a Linux version of AutoCAD, that wouldn't necessarily help in the big picture.

- Especially if that was like the Mac version, with no Visual Lisp/ActiveX components: our applications make heavy use of those.

--

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 46 of 112 (586 Views)

09-11-2012 05:38 AM in reply to: colnelb

And with that same exact argument, you could cut the cord with Autodesk and Adobe: only you (company or personal) are holding yourself (company or personal) back from that leap. If Open Office is acceptable in your professional office, why not Gimp/Inkscape/Scribus/Draftsight/ProgeCAD and so on? Why single out Autodesk to have to write/code for all OSs out there when you seem happy to ditch the defacto "standards" for your other tasks? I'm curious about your reasoning, it seems incomplete.

BTW, like AutoCAD, MSOffice2010/2007 have a default 'saved down' format to always save to lower formats so that file sharing is not an issue. And like AutoCAD, you give up some of the new features tied to the newer program/file format for it. Again, this falls back to you, the customer, and your settings in the software packages.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 47 of 112 (584 Views)

09-11-2012 05:40 AM in reply to: martti.halminen

Shrinking IT budgets and unmanaged IT expectations are a reality only good IT managers are able to overcome: everyone switching to Linux is not the real answer, just the easy "don't make waves" IT solution.

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 48 of 112 (573 Views)

09-11-2012 08:02 AM in reply to: dgorsman

dgorsman wrote:
...  Not to mention, by accepting user contributions its possible to "contribute" carefully constructed back doors for later exploitation.

This has been my argument since the very beginning.  An "open-source" OS built and supported by hackers will never see the light of day in my enterprise.  In my experience, all those squeaky wheels asking for more Linux support have always been the anti-establishment types... or the anti-Microsoft bashing genre.  It's a black hat mentality that doesn't translate well in the real world as it did in your high school bedroom. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
XMistro
Message 49 of 112 (571 Views)

09-11-2012 08:03 AM in reply to: pendean

I will say one thing: we don't want to discover the wheel again. Autodesk is the leading company in CAD software. Blender as example is a result of comunity work of 3D design but it is not specific for CAD. the huge experince of autodesk that put in autocad - we need some time to reinvent every thing from scratch, how painful. instead we can give a chance to put Autdesk different softwares on linux if it is possible and economic. everyone will be happy if this is possible. it's not that linux community is not capable - we have great graphics bases to begin [The X window system]. but why reinventing every thing if there is much easier solutions? if there is a method to install autocad on every OS whithout a problem why not?! may be there is a method to make autocad independent form OS somehow.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 50 of 112 (556 Views)

09-11-2012 11:43 AM in reply to: XMistro

I take it you don't program, or don't do much?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.