AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Valued Mentor
martti.halminen
Message 61 of 112 (803 Views)

Re: AutoCAD support for Linux becoming a major management decision issue

09-14-2012 03:36 AM in reply to: arthur.stack

I fear you have a little idealized view of software development. As an example, a library dependency graph for a non-trivial Linux program attached. (if it didn't drop in transfer)

If the program was written just on top of the kernel, there would be only one box here.

- this is a relatively simple one, with no GUI so all the hassle of communicating with the windowing system, graphics libraries and Gnome/KDE is missing.

- this is not Linux-specific: any software on any platform is nowadays similarly dependent of plenty of libraries.

--

amarildo_jr
Message 62 of 112 (588 Views)

12-28-2012 07:36 PM in reply to: pendean

"

Virus creation and distribution are products of popularity and creating maximum havoc with a maximum number of folks and systems: targetting a minority offers no glory for these less-than-ethical human creators of these diseased programs.

No OS is safe, it's just a matter of time and effort (and many more sales to make a difference) to get to your perfect systems to eventually cripple them.

My 2cents worth."

Sorry I had to create an account just to debate this.

Linux is not safer because you think the viruses makers' target is Windows and Mac. Linux as vastly more used in more important areas, such as:

- Google servers;

- Super-Computers (9 out of 10);
- Facebook, Hotmail, Twitter, amazon.com and the vast majority of web servers;
- TV panels in airplanes;
- Modern TV's
- Government computers;
- NASA;
- In your Android and the others 1 MILION activated EVERY DAY using Linux .
- ATM's

So it's not a matter of effort, believe me, the effort IS being done already. It's just that Linux is almost impossible to brake in, Linux IS safer.

Regards.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 63 of 112 (575 Views)

12-29-2012 12:00 PM in reply to: colnelb
Time will tell.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 64 of 112 (570 Views)

12-29-2012 12:19 PM in reply to: martti.halminen

Then why there are many complaints about security of the Android OSes?  (I am pretty much a pro-android and have owned a handful of Android devices)

amarildo_jr
Message 65 of 112 (563 Views)

12-29-2012 07:08 PM in reply to: martti.halminen

Android is a very vulnerable OS, but not because of Linux. The core of linux is unvulnerable, what matters is what's put onto it. Take Ubuntu, for example. Linux kernel is strong, but GNOME had a vulnerability capable of allowing an exploit (sorry, don't remember which). Maybe not possible to exploit now with Unity, and I'm sure that GNOME bug was fixed. So Linux itself is and will always be (as long as Torvald lives) one of the most (if not THE most) secure kernel there is.

Regards

Contributor
colnelb
Message 66 of 112 (506 Views)

01-15-2013 06:07 PM in reply to: ToanDN
Actually, if I remember correctly, it is the mobile apps that seem to provide the security risk, particularly NFC functions and the "social" apps that provide the security risks. It is the same apps that tend to cause problems for Windows and Apple systems as well, in addition to the NT stack which is a security problem, in my opinion, for Windows. It also may be noted, that other than through a browser, most of those functions and apps don't show up on Linux workstations. It might be noted that Linux does not have the NT stack and does not run the OS on workstations as a client/server architecture.
brentleekingery
Message 67 of 112 (317 Views)

06-07-2013 07:31 AM in reply to: dgorsman

If AutoCAD were availble for Linux, there would definately be more use for Linux in the design market.  I for one would be using it, and I know of several others that are fed up with all the crap they have to put up with under MS Windows.

Valued Mentor
TerryDotson
Message 68 of 112 (307 Views)

06-07-2013 09:52 AM in reply to: colnelb

A quick glance at the Desktop Operating System Market Share will tell you why there is no Linux version.

freemanjames2222
Message 69 of 112 (294 Views)

06-07-2013 12:36 PM in reply to: TerryDotson

Still, linux is the most popular operating system in the world.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 70 of 112 (286 Views)

06-07-2013 01:47 PM in reply to: freemanjames2222
Actually that would be iOS or Droid, tablets and smart phones :smileyhappy:
Did you examine the link Terry posted (click on the green words in his reply), the real/true user numbers don't lie.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.