AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 31 of 112 (747 Views)

Re: AutoCAD support for Linux becoming a major management decision issue

07-11-2012 09:53 AM in reply to: XMistro

Thanks.  Freedom of choice must only mean your choice.  Because I choose Microsoft.  :smileyvery-happy:

None of these arguments are relevant.  The simple fact remains.  Until there is a valid cost-benefit-analysis for Autodesk to profit in the Linux market, it will not happen.  Just because it exists does not mean they should develop for it.  They should develop for it if it the market proves it is profitable.  That is the responsibility that Autodesk has for its shareholders.  The free market will work the way it has always worked. 

Regardless, Autodesk is not going to let their intellectual property go open-source and allow competitors to steal their product. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
Distinguished Contributor
morrolan
Message 32 of 112 (727 Views)

07-12-2012 04:21 PM in reply to: TravisNave

Of course, a cost-benefit analysis needs to figure demand into the mix, and the continuing posts over the past decade asking for linux demonstrates at least some level of interest/demand.  Given that Aplle seems to be actively abandoning the enterprise market, which is one of Adesk's major ragets, the notion may not be so far-fetched as it was in 2002.

Those who've been around the lake a time or two can remember when Acad was a multi-os application, running on anything from DOS & Xenix, to SunOS, MacOS, and IIRC even god save us VMS.  I ran R9 quite nicely on both Dec Ultrix workstations and Sparcstations runnins SunOS.  And there are certainly conspiracy theories about the 'windows only' decision, and microsoft's astounding lack of interest in climbing into the trillion dollar aec/cad/design siftware market.

For what it's worth, Adesk has made significant strides towards returning to a multi-os application.  The existence of the CoreConsole suggests that deploying a Linux version in the future will be less of an effor than many think.  Much of the work under the hood is being done, or has already been done.  Doubtless there's a 'proof of concept' project running now.

arthur.stack
Message 33 of 112 (658 Views)

08-08-2012 09:07 AM in reply to: pendean

I agree with colnelb re: hackers.  Hackers are closer to pure scientists than commercial scientists.  We as humans have acquired greater benefit from pure scientists than from commercial scientists.  If we are to advance science at the rate required to overcome the negative impact we are having on the planet, we will need to get the tools to advance science into as many hands as possible.  Linux is one way of lowering the overall cost to achieve this goal.

On another note, Windows' constant changes to stem the loss of market share to Apple and Google, diverts time and energy away from productive work.  I have always maintained that the ideal operating system is invisible to the user.  If I have to spend time to learn how to navigate a new operting system every five years, that flies in the face of invisibility.  The latest 'Tiled' interface from Microsoft has finally brought an end to my relationship with Microsoft.  I am currently investigating ways of running my engineering software through Linux.  If I have to run it from a virtual machine in the near future, so be it.  However, I will be looking for alternatives that provide me direct access through Linux for the tools I need to do my work.  I am currently using Autocad for 2D design and to produce drawings, and Solidworks for 3D design.  If Autodesk were to port their software to Linux, they would get my 3D design also.

Softedge

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 34 of 112 (654 Views)

08-08-2012 09:37 AM in reply to: colnelb
Your opinion is subjective. If it were true, the market would reflect it in the industry.

The facts are in the numbers. The market share of Windows for desktops and laptop OS is 92.2%. That being the case, it is not in the financial interest for a company to focus its resources for a desktop OS that holds less than 2% of the market. If your job requires you to use Autodesk products, then you use Windows. It is not the respoonsibility of Autodesk to appease your business choices to the contrary. It's pretty much that simple. Like you, Autodesk is a business for profit and their base is substantially in Windows. What you're proposing would be like preferring to design all of your electronics to plug into European power outlets rather than standard US 15-amp plugs and expecting all the builders to install those additional outlets in all new houses. Ridiculous.
Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
Contributor
andresperezcera
Message 35 of 112 (649 Views)

08-08-2012 10:07 AM in reply to: TravisNave

The thing that is important right now Travis, is that many users are seeing the surrounding OS options. No matter how much you answer back saying it is not cost effective, that can change, and (i didn't think so) pretty fast. Perhaps in a near future that cost-effectiveness points the opposite direction, i'd dare to say, given the .net platform-independent development tools starting to get available, this could be even closer than it seems. 

In other words, cost of change is reducing. When costs of implementation get lower, or demand higher, things cost-effectiveness-impossible turn possible. It is like extracting oil from canada's sand; it is a reality now, it used to be impossible. (by the way that extraction is causing eviromental mass-destruction, see TED Talk about it, The cost of Oil)

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 36 of 112 (645 Views)

08-08-2012 10:51 AM in reply to: andresperezcera

andresperezcera wrote:

... it is not cost effective, that can change,

And it will change if it becomes cost effective.  AutoCAD now runs on Mac OS again.

I don't get the point. Not a good business decision now? Might be a good business decision in the future

Somehow I think Autodesk will make the business decisions they think are right for the company?

Competitors can engage in free-market development.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Contributor
andresperezcera
Message 37 of 112 (640 Views)

08-08-2012 11:02 AM in reply to: JDMather

I'm not really sure if you agree or disagree, but i  agree on the point that it is Autodesk's Decision.

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 38 of 112 (633 Views)

08-08-2012 12:12 PM in reply to: colnelb
Exactly, otherwise you're putting the cart in front of the horse. If the market changes, those changes will be reflected at Autodesk. But I wouldn't hold your breath. The burden to make the change is not on Autodesk. And if you're betting on the industry to change, your odds are worse. Just look at those who refuse to let go of Mechanical Desktop!! It doesn't matter if you're a fan of Linux or the Chicago Cubs. It's not a sound plan to bet your stakes on either if you want a sound fiscal return.
XMistro
Message 39 of 112 (516 Views)

09-09-2012 04:28 AM in reply to: TravisNave

ok , If I may say something; the fact that autodesk has an AutoCAD LT edition for android means that It is really simple to go to Linux. It is not a major change in the code or alike. It is just an investment in new branch of OS. That's all.

I bet that Autocad or any other Autodesk programs under Linux will make us all free to choose our OS. It's about making us free to choose. Linux is more stable and secure. Linux worth a try!.

I don't like the fact that we use windows because and only because: "It runs autocad". That stinks! Why we all don't have the choice.

Another thing is that making this decision will encourage game makers to go to Linux. Will, that's only a Linux benefit I guess!

We want just to combine Linux magnificent progress with Autocad great software to reach better results. That's all.

Valued Mentor
martti.halminen
Message 40 of 112 (503 Views)

09-10-2012 01:34 AM in reply to: XMistro

Seems to me you work in a very small or very new company if the choice of the OS is only controlled by AutoCAD.

In any larger company there are a multitude of different programs and their interactions and legacy data that control this.

For example, I took a look at our software support database, it listed over 200 separate programs, at least half of those being actively used daily, including some parts written 30 years ago... (actually those might be the easiest parts to migrate to another OS, they've been through that at least twice already.) Changing that to some other environment would be an enormous undertaking that is unlikely to receive corporate approval in the foreseeable future; even migrating to Windows 7 is a process that has taken years to prepare for (mixed among other work, of course).

--

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.