AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 11 of 112 (1,855 Views)

Re: AutoCAD support for Linux becoming a major management decision issue

10-18-2011 11:44 AM in reply to: ryanpuett

>>...My Linux box has been running strong for 5 years...<<<

Virus creation and distribution are products of popularity and creating maximum havoc with a maximum number of folks and systems: targetting a minority offers no glory for these less-than-ethical human creators of these diseased programs.

No OS is safe, it's just a matter of time and effort (and many more sales to make a difference) to get to your perfect systems to eventually cripple them.

My 2cents worth.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Contributor
andresperezcera
Message 12 of 112 (1,210 Views)

07-05-2012 10:08 AM in reply to: pendean

All current OS's ar subject to different competitions in which the only goal is to crack it's security. Linux + Chrome is the only undefeated combination. That says a lot about it's security. There's money and enough time to study vulnerabilities, yet remains undefeated. If you have a system you can only defeat through the web browser, if it doesn't have updates for long time... that's something remarkable. 

The company i currently work on, is willing to change to Ubuntu or any other linux distro´s since those have better network comunication algorythms and security. Even the reduced costs from ubuntu computers would allow us to start buying more licenses than we currently have. 

It would, however make it imposible to run vba or .net apis, which would be a terrible loss. We are just about to buy an autocad integrate application, changing from windows, would kill that. The option to run windows as a virtual machine has come up many times during the discussion of such subjects, since it's not an AutoCAD Issue, but a windows issue.

Another loss which should be considered would be the wide range of graphic card compatibility. But i'm sure such focus  comming from specialized software like AutoCAD and other would be amazing. 

Alternatives should be considered, however, because that would free Autodesk from it's development dependancy. Many high level design and simulation software currently run on independent OS's since that offer more control on resources and allows precission control and direct resource management.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 13 of 112 (1,206 Views)

07-05-2012 10:46 AM in reply to: andresperezcera
>>>...free Autodesk from it's development dependancy...<<< not really how it works in the real world.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Contributor
andresperezcera
Message 14 of 112 (1,203 Views)

07-05-2012 11:07 AM in reply to: pendean

Who cares, just bring Autocad to Linux. 

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 15 of 112 (1,182 Views)

07-06-2012 09:27 AM in reply to: andresperezcera

And who is going to pay for it when the majority of business computers run Windows?  It's not profitable.  If it were, it would have happened already.  Look how long it took to get AutoCAD on a MAC and that rarely sells any seats.  By choosing Linux, you must accept the fact that your software solutions are limited.  Regardless, Linux is open source.  Personally, I would never trust my enterprise to an OS that is essentially built by hackers.  Sure, you might disagree with that statement.  But the bottom line is, I can run AutoCAD.  And I've never been hacked.  You might be able to pick the lock on my front door, but I am not going to leave it open for you. 

The problem with Linux is that there are too many flavors to make one software work across the platforms.  The reason you can go to the same gas station with any car is because although every car is a different model and manufacturer, they all have the same gas tank interface.  That's like Windows.  Whereas, what you're trying to ask is for someone to make a pair of pants that is one-size-fits-all.  That's Linux.  Not going to happen. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
Contributor
colnelb
Message 16 of 112 (1,173 Views)

07-06-2012 10:40 AM in reply to: TravisNave
The problem with developing a product for Linux that is already a success on windows is a combination of the huge corporate influence of Microsoft as apposed to the individual influence of individual user communities, and the chicken and egg influence of who will pay for the development of a new line when the old line continues to be a success, and the force on the user community to use a specific OS because that is all that the old line works on. In the corporate world there is no such thing as a "field of dreams" today. One of the major reasons that Microsoft continues to be the massive influence is the marketing Microsoft does into the large corporations and the software development companies that have products that run on a windows OS. I have had to deal with that issue at more than one company that I have worked for. Personally, I would trust an OS developed by "hackers" more than one developed for profit by a large corporation. "Hackers" tend to be closer to the individual user communities and have greater individual pride in their workmanship and product than a large corporation will. Large corporations are more interested in leveraging their existing product line and generating profits than they are in the needs of the individual user communities, or in having pride in the individual workmanship of their product. A large corporation will tend to put more into the appearance of a product as a "upgrade" than into improving or major changes to the internal structure of their product. As long as the Microsoft corporate marketing has greater access to the decision makers of the AutoCAD/AutoDesk developer corporation, than individual user communities have to those same decision makers, those decision makers will never move away from the Microsoft OS, no matter how poor in internal quality, or how vulnerable it is to malicious attack and theft of intellectual property it may be.
Contributor
andresperezcera
Message 17 of 112 (1,164 Views)

07-06-2012 01:35 PM in reply to: TravisNave

I'm with Colnelb on this. Plus, even while there might be a million "reasons" not to get AutoCAD to Linux, I'd love to repeat my previous request: "Who cares, just bring Autocad to Linux." What I find interesting is that people who don't work at Autodesk or ar in the position to take any kind of determination work as opposition to somethind doesn't really affects them. Perhaps the possibilities of microsoft going out of focus (which might just seem like a dream, like saying RIM is loosing more and more audience) resembles a menace to their jobs, that in the case of vb.net services and development companies.

Sorry if that requests offends anyone, its just a request. I'd however say that AutoCAD for MAC is picking more and more attention, just because of MAC's smoothness in software operation.

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 18 of 112 (1,161 Views)

07-06-2012 01:48 PM in reply to: andresperezcera

It's not about offending or being offended.  It's not even about which platform is best.  You can save those arguments for video game sites.  It comes down to CBA - Cost Benefit Analysis.  And until it is a profitable venture for Autodesk, you're unlikely to see the product line move into Linux... even if it would be the best release of all the platforms.  What drives business decisions is money and install base.  And as much as I would beg to differ on your Mac statement, the demand for Linux simply isn't there yet.  Perhaps we'll see where the market goes down the road.  But in the forseeable future, it's not even a pipe dream yet.

The post directly after mine is right on!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 19 of 112 (1,160 Views)

07-06-2012 01:48 PM in reply to: andresperezcera

The kind of attitude "Who cares, just bring Autocad to Linux." is exactly why they haven't brought it to Linux yet.

Contributor
andresperezcera
Message 20 of 112 (1,153 Views)

07-06-2012 02:00 PM in reply to: ToanDN

It is interesting that i got the attention I was seeking in speedy answers; trying to understand the dynamics of this group. It is an answer that is dumb, but it's kinda dummer give importance to something you think is worthless. It's OK if you think it won't happen around the corner, i respect your perhaps truthful opinion. It still makes no change in my simple request: I do not care how, i want and desire a developed version of AutoCAD for Linux (Same statement); regardless of which linux version. 

What seems really interesting is what i mentioned before. TravisNave, ToanDN, thanks for inpersonating Autodesk executives. Have a good day.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.