Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2011 with high DPI display and HD 5000

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
theromit
1230 Views, 10 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2011 with high DPI display and HD 5000

Hi,

I am running AutoCAD LT 2011 on a high DPI display with an Intel HD 5000 graphics card. Despite adjusting resolutions and scaling settings, I am unable to get some of the dialog windows to have bigger text. Also, selecting items in those windows is not accurate. One example of such a window is Tools > Customize > Import Customizations.

Is there some secret sauce to male AutoCAD work better and buyable on high DPI displays?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: theromit

Hi,

what resolution does your display have?

Most important at all is that the font size in Windows should not be changed, the option to modify the text size for Windows elements (like 125% or150%) should not be used as then some dialogs have issues (not only AutoCAD ones).

If the menu text in AutoCAD is too small the only possibility I see is to reduce the screen resolution (and yes, I understand that this is not what you wanted to hear).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 11
theromit
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

The resolution is 2160x1440 (Surface Pro 3). I have tried with lower resolution but that window simply does not change its size including the fonts. 😞

Message 4 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I have tried with lower resolution but that window simply does not change its size including the fonts

So if you reduce your screendisplay from 2160x1440 to 1080x720 you don't see a difference? If so I think we speak about different settings, reducing the number of pixels the display has means automatically to have larger or smaller icons and text.

Can you show screenshots of both resolutions with the windows where you change it?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 11
theromit
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Sorry for the delay. After trying many different things including scaling and resolution and text size adjustments, we concluded that AutoCAD simply does not work with HiDPI displays.

We are giving up on it and moving on. 😞

Message 6 of 11
pendean

Back in the year 2010, when LT2011 came out,. HiDPI was still in the lab, probably still on paper. So it was a stretch for you to hope for anything different.

It's worth noting that LT2015, the current shipping version, still doesn't supprot HiDPI either.

Life in the nose-bleed section has it's bumps.
Message 7 of 11
theromit
in reply to: pendean

So, what's the recommendation if one is to buy a new PC, many of the high-end ones which come with high resolution displays?

Will a PC with 1920x1080 resolution work ok? Is there something to enable/disable in Windows and/or ACAD to make it work in high-res?
Message 8 of 11
turk799

Message 9 of 11
pendean

1920x1080 is fine. You'll need to wait on Autodesk to catch up to HiDPI with 2016 or later or patch 2015.
For the moment, you've tried all the possible fixes and have seen the results.
Message 10 of 11
theromit
in reply to: pendean

Is there any published info about Autodesk's plans for high-resolution display support? It should be quite embarrassing for them to have their menus and dialog boxes look so pathetic on even 1920x1080, much less the higher resolutions which are getting quite common these days.
Message 11 of 11
pendean

No.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost