I started having this problem a couple of days ago as well. I had done a variety of things, so I'm trying to narrow down the problem. The good thing is that I HAVE found a way that seems to correct it.. There is definitely an issue with autodesk
Update: Rule out the video card driver update as a fix for me. Just started freezing, just confirmed latest was updated.
On an off-topic note regarding video card update, make sure you open your application as an administrator in order to update.
I just realized - I'm using Civil3d 2011, so this obviously is spanning numerous applications, whatever the cause.
Ok, disregard all the above - I just figured out the real reason it fixed.
Any time you make a recent call that pulls discovery of drives other than the file dialog box fixes for a while - I'll assume this data must be cached until a particular time or event. Something I didn't realize made the fix, but confirmed now:
Has anyone come up with a bonafide solution to this?
Autodesk says it's anti-virus; primarliy Norton.....I have NO AV on my machine...not a fix
I have updated my Nvidia drivers...no dice
I have updated everything I can, including Win7 SP1....nada
I have tried the FILEDIA workaround....zip
I have tried to kill "WSCommCntr2.exe"; does not show since I have InfoCenter shut down....zilch
I have turned off all of the Aero and fancy Win7 stuff.....zero
I also see that no one has mentioned that once you're running you cannot use the insert block dialog box either.
2010 does work on my machine; if you do not mind opening your files from Windows Explorer and dragging-n-dropping fiel that you want to insert.
This is really a bad deal
I am using a LISP routine called Xtools. (This is a great program). This routine utilizes Robert McNeel & Associates' DosLIB for calls to dialog boxes.
What I have discovered is that if I run one of the various sub-routines, which opens a file dialog; all subsquent file dialog coomands within ACAD then run, i.e. file open, block insert, etc. I would say it is wierd, but I know that this involves something in a piece of code somewhere.
So, my workaround is to place a bit of lisp in my startup which executes this routine followed immediately with an escape.
I still wish Autodesk would fix the issue.
But, hey, it's better than my previous issue with 2008: hatching crashes the program, inserting blocks with hatch crash the program, any operation regarding hatching closed the program. That I understand was a .NET issue, but none of the recommended fixes work.
Come on Autodesk
Not related to Sophos
Not related to Avira
Not related to Norton (just in some cases, already patched)
Maybe not related to Avast
Not related to graphic cards (mayby in some cases)
No hotfix to solve the issue.
This issue is related from Autocad 2009 to 2012
AND IT'S NOT SOLVED.