AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Valued Contributor
jalneal
Message 11 of 17 (1,975 Views)

Re: AutoCAD freezing trying to open files...

04-21-2011 07:31 AM in reply to: cerfew

I started having this problem a couple of days ago as well.  I had done a variety of things, so I'm trying to narrow down the problem.  The good thing is that I HAVE found a way that seems to correct it..  There is definitely an issue with autodesk 

The Fix:

1. Delete all temporary files  (I don't think this is necessary to fix)
  2. In the command line, type FILEDIA and set  to 0 (this forces a command line open rather than the dialog box.)
  3. Type "NEW" in the command line, and hit enter for it to load from the default location.  This makes autodesk probably access that folder.  After it loads the default template, type FILEDIA and set to one.  Then click New.  It SHOULD open up the dialog box.  
The problem:
  • This behavior causes Autocad to freeze every program trying to access a list of all drives from windows - the command that Autodesk is sending seems to be freezing a non-Autocad component.  :smileysad:
  • After doing the fix above, tihs will come back again and again.  It works for maybe 30 min.  A save or xref, anything that brings up the dialog box will suddenly crash your work without the ability to save since it freezes it.  
Since I had last used Autocad, Windows 7 64 ran a bunch of updates.  I also upgraded to new Nvidia Drivers (apparently they came out with a brand new series that had serious improvements.) I'm using a GTX 470 - worked flawlessly until this week, so it's stability regarding supported card list should not be in question - the driver could, but why does it freeze a windows file routine?  Most notably, I recently set all my drive shares to come from a vbs script rather than a windows shell script.  tihs was to name volumes how I wanted.  I used a script that I had used for years working at another company to set share drives without a hittch, but I have noticed that they do have slightly different behaviors sometimes.
So there is my 2 cents.  I will continue trying to debug, but hopefully someone from Autodesk can step in and help figure this one out.  Please reply if you are having this problem - if it's a LOT of people, it seems the recent windows updates/service pack could be the culprit.  , and I won't rule out the autocad driver updates as pointed out if you have an NVIDIA card - just updated mine, so will report back on whether it was the fix.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Neal, P.E.
Autodesk Infrastructure Suite Premium 2012/2013
Windows 7, x64
Xeon E31225 w/ Quadro 600
Valued Contributor
jalneal
Message 12 of 17 (1,974 Views)

04-21-2011 07:35 AM in reply to: jalneal

Update:  Rule out the video card driver update as a fix for me.  Just started freezing, just confirmed latest was updated. 

On an off-topic note regarding video card update, make sure you open your application as an administrator in order to update. 

I just realized - I'm using Civil3d 2011, so this obviously is spanning numerous applications, whatever the cause. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Neal, P.E.
Windows 7, x64
Valued Contributor
jalneal
Message 13 of 17 (1,969 Views)

04-21-2011 09:59 AM in reply to: jalneal

Ok, disregard all the above - I just figured out the real reason it fixed. 

Any time you make a recent call that pulls discovery of drives other than the file dialog box fixes for a while - I'll assume this data must be cached until a particular time or event.  Something I didn't realize made the fix, but confirmed now:

• Type options at command or go to the options box. 
  • Click on the file Tab
  • Click to browse any folder anywhere then cancel.  That seems to queue up the data that otherwise makes it crash. 
  • Now you can open & close using dialog boxes FOR A WHILE.
Note that THIS IS NOT A FIX, but a half baked workaround.  You can set filedia to 0 to make sure you don't freeze up on a save while working.  Otherwise after about a half hour, expect a save or xref command to fail and lose your work since the last save. 
This seems to transcend almost all autodesk products with the latest Windows 7 x64 updates.  I'm in Civil3d 2011 on Windows 7 x64, but found similar threads in other groups starting around March 2011. 

Alan Neal, P.E.
Windows 7, x64
mmurrell
Message 14 of 17 (1,812 Views)

05-31-2011 06:32 PM in reply to: jalneal

Has anyone come up with a bonafide solution to this?

Autodesk says it's anti-virus; primarliy Norton.....I have NO AV on my machine...not a fix

I have updated my Nvidia drivers...no dice

I have updated everything I can, including Win7 SP1....nada

I have tried the FILEDIA workaround....zip

I have tried to kill "WSCommCntr2.exe"; does not show since I have InfoCenter shut down....zilch

I have turned off all of the Aero and fancy Win7 stuff.....zero

I also see that no one has mentioned that once you're running you cannot use the insert block dialog box either.

2010 does work on my machine; if you do not mind opening your files from Windows Explorer and dragging-n-dropping fiel that you want to insert.

This is really a bad deal

mmurrell
Message 15 of 17 (1,802 Views)

06-01-2011 11:21 AM in reply to: jalneal

UPDATE:

I am using a LISP routine called Xtools. (This is a great program). This routine utilizes Robert McNeel & Associates' DosLIB for calls to dialog boxes.

What I have discovered is that if I run one of the various sub-routines, which opens a file dialog; all subsquent file dialog coomands within ACAD then run, i.e. file open, block insert, etc. I would say it is wierd, but I know that this involves something in a piece of code somewhere.

So, my workaround is to place a bit of lisp in my startup which executes this routine followed immediately with an escape.

I still wish Autodesk would fix the issue.

But, hey, it's better than my previous issue with 2008: hatching crashes the program, inserting blocks with hatch crash the program, any operation regarding hatching closed the program. That I understand was a .NET issue, but none of the recommended fixes work.

Come on Autodesk

Contributor
andrenext
Message 16 of 17 (1,538 Views)

10-05-2011 08:28 PM in reply to: cerfew

Not related to Sophos

Not related to Avira

Not related to Norton (just in some cases, already patched)

Maybe not related to Avast

Not related to graphic cards (mayby in some cases)

No hotfix to solve the issue.

This issue is related from Autocad 2009 to 2012

AND IT'S NOT SOLVED.

Contributor
andrenext
Message 17 of 17 (1,452 Views)

10-26-2011 09:29 PM in reply to: cerfew
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!