AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

tjschnabel
Message 1 of 6 (380 Views)

AutoCAD freezing on boot in student lab

380 Views, 5 Replies
09-19-2012 01:47 PM

I support a school district CAD lab that has AutoCAD 2011 educational stand alone version on 13 windows XP desktop machines. Here recently, one of the machines hit a problem where when you load AutoCAD, it'll freeze up and become unresponsive. Cursory googling was telling me that I needed to go into task manager and end the WSCommCntr2.exe process and AutoCad should load fine. However, on this particular computer, WSCommCntr is not appearing in the task manager, and when I booted the troubled computer side by side with a working one, it appears as though it's freezing up before WSCommCntr is even being loaded into memory.

I have eliminated any flaw with the computer itself (Defragged, scandisc, ran memory, HDD, CPU utilities that all came back with flying colors, antivirus and spyware scans came up negative), and it has the same hardware profile and software installed as the other 12 computers in the room that are all working fine. I've uninstalled/reinstalled AutoCAD 2011 twice in order to try to fix this problem, once to install just autoCAD minus Design review (Design review working absolutely fine on this machine the whole time), and again just to get it back to the way the other machines in the CAD lab are. A repair install similarly did not work for me.

I've now run out of ideas, can I get any suggestions of things to try?

*Expert Elite*
M_Hensley
Message 2 of 6 (363 Views)

Re: AutoCAD freezing on boot in student lab

09-20-2012 03:37 AM in reply to: tjschnabel

Could be a problem with the .net framework.

Try uninstall and reinstall Microsoft .net framework 3.5

tjschnabel
Message 3 of 6 (352 Views)

09-20-2012 07:56 AM in reply to: M_Hensley

Reinstalled .NET 3.5 and it looks like it's now loading up fine. Thanks for that tip, I would of never thought of .Net being the issue.

tjschnabel
Message 4 of 6 (306 Views)

09-27-2012 10:05 AM in reply to: tjschnabel

As an update to this situation: Looks like the issue isn't completely resolved. That same computer started freezing up again today on boot at the exact same spot. I went ahead and reinstalled .net 3.5 and fixed it again, but I'm not sure if it's going to screw up on me again somewhere down the line. It's going to be really annoying if I have to come back on a weekly basis to do a .net reinstall. Anything else I can look at or try?

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 5 of 6 (292 Views)

09-27-2012 12:05 PM in reply to: tjschnabel

Turn off the automatic update from windows.

Because, if you open acad.exe.config in your computer there is a place it said:

"We always use the latest version of the framework installed on the computer."

When window updates your framework, your autocad quit working.

tjschnabel
Message 6 of 6 (278 Views)

09-28-2012 09:27 AM in reply to: Patchy

Allright, that's what I needed to know then. Will disable auto updates and call it good.

Thanks again.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.