Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD doesn't retain settings

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sprstock
453 Views, 4 Replies

AutoCAD doesn't retain settings

I was just assigned a new computer on which they loaded AutoCAD Mechanical 2010.  I imported my settings into the Profiles tab but daily when I boot up I have to reset everything.  AutoCAD opens in Mechanical Classic, which is correct, and layout-wise everything appears OK until the last second when the ribbon is inserted above my top horizontal toolbar.  I have to go to Workspace Switching and choose Mechanical, let it change to the ribbon and then rechoose Mechanical Classic which gives me the toolbars only setup I prefer.  Then I have to choose Tools>Options>Profile, pick my imported settings and Set Current>OK to get the background, and toolbars I use.  If I need any arx, lisp, fas, etc. files I have to load each one individually even though they have been added to the Load/Unload Applications Startup Suite numerous times.  Every time I reopen AutoCAD the Startup Suite is empty.  Even if I have one AutoCAD application running and open a second for my other monitor, it opens without my settings.

It seems as if my machine's AutoCAD loses its memory every time I close out of AutoCAD not retaining any memory of my settings and doesn't appear to know what Mechanical Classic is.

Any help getting my settings to stick would be greatly appreciated as I am losing way too much time setting and resetting AutoCAD every time I open it.    With AutoCAD crashing numerous times every day (I'm taking that problem up in a different thread) the time loss is killing me.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: sprstock

Win7 or Win8? Neither is a supported OS for your version.

You seem to only be describing AutoCAD starting an external corrupt profile instead of using your internally saved and working profile. Ask the person that set you up to replace that external ARG file for you.
Message 3 of 5
sprstock
in reply to: pendean

I just learned yesterday 2010 and Win 7 are not officially compatible, but I do run it that way at home without a problem.

I'm sort of on my own as far as getting my problems fixed.  Could you explain how to find and replace the external ARG file?

Thanks a lot.

Scott

Message 4 of 5
pendean
in reply to: sprstock

I'm not too familiar with your vertical version, and not familiar with your office setup to boot.
You might want to post in the MECH forum for peer support.

How do you launch/ start the application normally at the office?
Have you every tried opening OPTIONS command's PROFILE tab and just double clicking on another profile to fix the problem?
How many ARG files are in your office PC? How does that compare to your home setup?
Message 5 of 5
sprstock
in reply to: pendean

Hi-

I'll try posting to the Mech site too.

Since I've learned AutoCAD & Windows 7 are not compatible I made a change in AutCAD Mechanical's Properties Compatibility tab, changing it so AutoCAD Mechanical runs in a Vista Compatibility Mode.  That seems to have cleared up some of my problems ( http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2010-2011-2012/AutoCAD-crashing/m-p/5101148/highlight/false ) but not this one.

I replaced the ACADMMP profile with mine but after restarting this morning it had reverted to the default.  I'll try it again tonight at shutdown just to be certain the last instance of AutCAD Mech I have running was started on that profile.  Even if that works it still doesn't solve the problem with loading all the lisp type programs I'd like to have running.

Normally I start from the AutoCAD Mechanical icon on my desktop.

I have 4 .arg files on my local drive, two acadmmp.arg files (one a backup on my desktop as the Mechanical acadmpp.arg file is replaced with a straight AutoCAD acadmpp.arg file if Mechanical's is deleted or corrupted), one vanilla.arg and my own profile .arg.

My home machine has 4 .arg files as well all located in the same folders.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost