AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

gtovar.keithm
Message 1 of 5 (390 Views)
Accepted Solution

AutoCAD 2012 & music library.

390 Views, 4 Replies
03-31-2012 05:36 PM

Hi everyone! I'm very new to this whole AutoCAD thing and I'm just wondering something. I bought a laptop about a month ago and I downloaded AutoCAD 2012. I'm currenty enrolled in a CAD class, so I do use AutoCAD often, not exactly on a daily basis but often. Everything is going fine and I have put only a few files in the computer BUT my question is, is it safe to put my music library in this computer where I use AutoCAD? Would it slow the computer down? Does having a lot of files affect AutoCAD performance in anyway? Any help works. Thank you in advance, thank you very much!

My computer = HP Pavillion dv6 (518 GB available as of now, 6GB RAM, 1.50 GHz)

My music library = not sure, I think it's more than 5GB but less than 10GB

Hi,

>> is it safe to put my music library in this computer where I use AutoCAD?

It is "save", but let's say in any case ... you are more save if you run backups periodically.

>> Would it slow the computer down?

There is no reason, why data stored on your harddrive would result in any conflicts using a program, Word, Excel or AutoCAD, doesn't matter.

- alfred -

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 5 (372 Views)

Re: AutoCAD 2012 & music library.

04-01-2012 03:00 AM in reply to: gtovar.keithm

Hi,

>> is it safe to put my music library in this computer where I use AutoCAD?

It is "save", but let's say in any case ... you are more save if you run backups periodically.

>> Would it slow the computer down?

There is no reason, why data stored on your harddrive would result in any conflicts using a program, Word, Excel or AutoCAD, doesn't matter.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
gtovar.keithm
Message 3 of 5 (359 Views)

04-01-2012 08:17 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Oh ok. Yes, I know what you mean but I just wanted to make sure. Thank you very much!

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 4 of 5 (349 Views)

04-01-2012 04:58 PM in reply to: gtovar.keithm

Keeping things on the same computer is not the same things as USING things on the same computer.  There have been a number of users here report problems especially with iTunes, more specifically if they try to run iTunes and AutoCAD at the same time.  In that case you very likely may take a performance hit in AutoCAD.  Those two programs often don't want to play nicely together.

YMMV.  :smileytongue:

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
gtovar.keithm
Message 5 of 5 (338 Views)

04-01-2012 08:47 PM in reply to: heinsite

Yeah, iTunes hardly ever gets along with any other programs. I used Office for work a lot and I used to leave iTunes playing in the background and after a while, my computer would freeze or something. True, I had a little 2GB RAM notebook, but still. I never use iTunes at the same I use AutoCAD, I try to use AutoCAD by itself if possible, because I know my computer isn't that great so I do not want performance to be affected. Thank you very much though for any considering that potential issue.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.