AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

jao973
Message 1 of 21 (22,865 Views)

Autocad 2012 & 2013 sometimes hang / very slow

22865 Views, 20 Replies
07-07-2012 02:54 AM

Autocad repeatedly hangs and responds very slow on a new computer.

It can happen on any file and sometimes Autocad works fine for a day or two.

When entering a command, for example CO (copy), Autocad freezes

Autocad 2012 also switches views unexpectedly, for example when executing the following actions:

- Enter S key

- confirm using right mouse button

- click point and choosing a direction

- enter distance

- confirm by right mouse button

Autocad 2013 was very slow on this new computer as well

Please fix this.

The computer specs:

Intel Xeon W3565 processor

2x2 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 ECC RAM

1 GB Nvidia Quadro 2000 gfx

Windows 7 64 bit.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 21 (22,858 Views)

Re: Autocad 2012 & 2013 sometimes hang / very slow

07-07-2012 05:01 AM in reply to: jao973

Hi,

>> responds very slow on a new computer.

Win7 64bit but only 4GB memory, that's to small sized. I would say for a 64bit OS you need at least 8GB memory.

>> responds very slow

there are so many threads already handling the slow-response or performance-issues. What have you tried yet (just to not start again and again every time the same content).

Check >>>this<<<

>> Enter S key [...] confirm using right mouse button

Have you set the right-mouse-button to <ENTER>? Or have you set it to respond as <ENTER> when clicked within a short time-span? At least most don't have the right mouse-button assigned to <ENTER>. What happens if you press <SPACE> instead?

>> Enter S key

How is your "S"-button configured?

>> Please fix this.

I can't. :smileywink:

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
jao973
Message 3 of 21 (22,841 Views)

07-09-2012 12:28 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for replying, I appreciate that.

As this forum is Autodesk's preferred method of communication regarding problems with their expensive products, I suppose the answers come here instead of me searching all over the internet and reading every blog post and forum thread about Autocad 2012 problems. Every decent manufacterer has something called customer care, though Autodesk doesn't seem to understand this concept.

I'll try SP1 and SP2, hopefully that will help

jao973
Message 4 of 21 (22,836 Views)

07-09-2012 03:09 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

alfred.neswadba wrote:

>> responds very slow on a new computer.

Win7 64bit but only 4GB memory, that's to small sized. I would say for a 64bit OS you need at least 8GB memory.

It still has more than 2 GB available.

>> Enter S key [...] confirm using right mouse button

Have you set the right-mouse-button to <ENTER>? Or have you set it to respond as <ENTER> when clicked within a short time-span? At least most don't have the right mouse-button assigned to <ENTER>. What happens if you press <SPACE> instead?

Turn on time-sensitive right-click: quick click for ENTER, longer click to display shortcut menu (longer click duration: 250 milliseconds). SPACE is ENTER

>> Enter S key

How is your "S"-button configured?

The S key is configured as the STRETCH command.

So Autodesk, I hope you can offer me a solution here

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 21 (22,825 Views)

07-09-2012 05:40 AM in reply to: jao973
  • Nice higher-end Xeon, but then you choke nay possibility of multi-processor use with the OS with only 4Gig, which is at the bottom end for Win7-64bit, regardless of how much "free" is being reported. Why did you do that? Like buying a hot-rod and taking the air out of the tires, sure it looks cool but you can't really drive it hard. End User advise, you sought it: for Autodesk advise/support, go through subscription if you have it. But you also seem to be describing a video card hang more than anything else. So...
  • Your video card driver may be choking: turn off Win7's Aero Theme and use the Windows Basic Theme instead.
  • Your video card may or may not have a driver at Autodesk, seek one if there is and use it from Autodesk Supported Graphics Cards List and drivers:
    http://www.autodesk.com/autocad-graphicscard
  • If not, you may have to change the hardware acceleration in AutoCAD from whatever you have it set now: 3DCONFIG command.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
jao973
Message 6 of 21 (22,820 Views)

07-09-2012 05:57 AM in reply to: pendean

Thank you. We'll try switching off Aero and updating the graphics driver first. If that fails we'll upgrade to 8 GB. 

pendean wrote:
  • you choke nay possibility of multi-processor use with the OS with only 4Gig, which is at the bottom end for Win7-64bit, regardless of how much "free" is being reported. 

Can you elaborate on that?

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 7 of 21 (22,815 Views)

07-09-2012 06:29 AM in reply to: jao973

XEONs are great processors for multi-tasking applications and operating systems (AutoCAD is not truly one of the applications): was that a deliberate purchase, or a bargain you picked up? If a bargain, it might explain the low RAM purchase and your choice of Vid card.

Also ensure any background running apps are not scanning DWG files or the AutoCAD program when it is running.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 8 of 21 (22,799 Views)

07-09-2012 09:23 AM in reply to: jao973

Hi,

>> I suppose the answers come here instead of me searching all over the internet

Well then I stop answering now at this thread.

I don't get paid any cent for the time I spent here to help you ... and you think I should spent more time to solve your problem (think of: a problem you have) and you don't want to search for available solutions ... but I should use my time instead? Sorry no.

I think you misunderstood where you are here. Here is a forum for getting help for problems from people trying to help. This is no site where Autodesk guarantees any support.

For a direct support you have to use the subscription center.

And now ... good luck and a nice day, bye, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
jao973
Message 9 of 21 (22,781 Views)

07-09-2012 10:25 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

>> I suppose the answers come here instead of me searching all over the internet

Well then I stop answering now at this thread.

I don't get paid any cent for the time I spent here to help you ... and you think I should spent more time to solve your problem (think of: a problem you have) and you don't want to search for available solutions ... but I should use my time instead? Sorry no.

Thank you so far. Autodesk told me to post the problems here because that was their way of 'support' and their tech support  people monitor these forums daily.

Again, I appreciate your help.

And I just found out we are eligable for subscription support so when after trying all possible solutions mentioned here by you and Dean still won't work for us we can get help there.

Any solution will be posted here so it can be helpful to others in the future. Thank you.

Contributor
olga.voyl
Message 10 of 21 (18,622 Views)

03-21-2013 05:29 PM in reply to: jao973

As well i have tried many of the solutions I found in the internet and my computer is brand new asus windows 8 16 GB RAM and autocad is still running extrimelly slow..... As I remember autocad has a horrible performance, I have worked with 3d Max, Revit, Maya and only Autocad is making me insane..... and so far I didnt find any solution that works for it....=( 

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.