AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
KeeperOfAngels
Message 1 of 4 (353 Views)

AutoCAD 2010 through 2012 freezing when using Open - Windows 7

353 Views, 3 Replies
05-23-2012 08:38 AM

I recently loaded several versions of AutoCAD on to a Windows 7 machine.  ALL versions will open a drawing if double-clicked from windows explorer, but if I try to open through AutoCAD, the program freezes as soon as I click on the "Open" button.  This is true for AutoCAD 2010 through 2012.

Machine Specs:

Dell Optiplex 990

250GB HD

8GB Ram

I7-2600 proc

AMD Radeon HD 6670 (1Gb) Video Card

I also cannot open multiple instances of ANY version of AutoCAD in Windows 7.

Does anyone have any info on this?  I see several posts, but none of the workarounds seem to work on my machine, and this has become more than frustrating.

As always, thank you in advance!!

Contributor
KeeperOfAngels
Message 2 of 4 (338 Views)

Re: AutoCAD 2010 through 2012 freezing when using Open - Windows 7

05-25-2012 09:39 AM in reply to: KeeperOfAngels

UPDATE -

I removed ALL versions of AutoCAD, along with any remaining Autodesk/AutoCAD files and folders.  After a restart and registry clean up, I re-installed AutoCAD 2012, and it seemed to work just fine for the remainder of the day.

I logged in to my workstation today, and 2012 is freezing at '_open' again.  I am at a loss at this point and am submitting a ticket through Autodesk.

Any suggestions out there?

Contributor
Message 3 of 4 (179 Views)

10-18-2013 12:46 PM in reply to: KeeperOfAngels

I found the instructions below in the forum here somewhere... and this completely solved my problem.

Only thing is...  now every time that I do a File.. Open... the dialog box always goes back to the Desktop and doesn't stay in the same folder as all the other drawings that I am needing to work on.

But this is completely better than my ACAD freezing everytime I do a FIle Open....

---------------------------------------------------------

I think I found a workaround for this.

We were having issues with AutoCAD 2012 LT not opening, saving, or allowing a person to create a new drawing. AutoCAD's support was less than helpful and blamed us, our software, our network, and our servers for being the issue. As it turns out the issue is actually a registry key that AutoCAD creates that makes the program lock up.

Please note that this fix requires working in the Windows registry. If you are not comfortable working in the registry please have someone else do the steps below for you, otherwise you may mess up your computer. I am not responsible for any mishaps, loss of data, etc. should you follow the steps below and break something. Proceed at your own risk.

Here's how to fix it:

1. Open the registry (Start, run, regedit.exe) OR for Windows XP do a Start, Run, regedt32.exe

2. Go to the following key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD LT\R17\ACADLT-A001:409\Profiles\<<Unnamed Profile>>\Dialogs\OpenSaveAnavDialogs]

3. Delete the InitialDirectory key completely. It should be the only key there other than the Default key which should be left alone.

4. Right-click on the OpenSaveAnavDialogs branch (left pane of the registry) and choose Permissions...

5. Click on the Advanced button.

6. Uncheck the box next to "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent"

7. When prompted about the current permissions choose the Add button.

8. Click on OK.

9. Do this for each Group or user name EXCEPT CREATOR OWNER:

a. Highlight the group or user name

b. Uncheck the Allow box under "Full Control". Leave the Read permission alone.

10. When done with all of the groups and users click on OK.

11. Exit the registry editor.

AutoCAD should now be able to open, save, and create new files without any problems.

Technical description: AutoCAD 2012 has an issue with the InitialDirectory key in the OpenSaveAnavDialogs branch in the registry. Any value in this key will cause AutoCAD 2012 LT to freeze, although in certain instances it will continue to sort of limp along half-broken. AutoDesk keeps pointing the finger at everyone else except for themselves and will probably not fix this issue any time soon. The above steps will delete the InitialDirectory key and then prevent the program from adding the key back in later by granting only Read permissions instead of Full Control permissions.

I hope that helps. It took me nearly 8 hours to find this solution so if I can save you the time and energy then so be it. Meanwhile please continue to hound AutoDesk to release a patch or service pack to address this issue and all of the other problems with their software.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 4 (168 Views)

10-19-2013 04:44 AM in reply to: KeeperOfAngels
REMEMBERFOLDERS variable may be the cure you seek for only looking in the Desktop for files.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.