Did you mean: 

AUTOCAD 2010 Crashes when using dialog boxes to open/saveas or saving W blocks

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1990 Views, 7 Replies

AUTOCAD 2010 Crashes when using dialog boxes to open/saveas or saving W blocks

I have a AutoCad 2010 user who has had not problems until this past Tuesday, at which time all dialog box usage started causing thier program to freeze up.  If I change filedia to 0, they can use the command prompt to saveas and open files, but obviously this is not ideal.  Additionally, if I type in a ~ when trying to saveas, it causes the program to freeze.

I have gone through the file options to make sure that no false paths are listed, I have also tried both a repair install and a complete uninstall-reinstall of the software, and although this seems to work, within 10 minutes the problems back again. 

The user is running Windows 7 professional, with an i7 processor, and i have made sure that I have all the updates for their machine. 

I have searched through multiple forums online and found that this is a common problem although I haven't found a solution that works for us.  There was one forum that mentioned editing a dialogboxes registry value, which doesn't even appear in this users registry, although that was for a different version of ACAD.

I'm not an ACAD user myself and am not familiar at all with the software or what it does or how it works, so when providing solutions please provide as much detail as possible. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Windows System Restore back to a month or year it all worked may help.
Unless sometme Monday night you all implemented some update (driver or system or something).
Anything change with the Server/file locations before Tuesday?
Did the user open a file from a thumbdrive or something else that is not not available?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the help.  The system restore did it (for now).  If it crops up again I'll be sure to either update this post or create a new one.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

I have a new HP computer with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and AutoCadLt 2010 and I am experiencing the very same issues as the writer above. Can you provide any guidance?
Message 5 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I am experiencing the very same issues

So you got AutoCAD never running with that dialog or that happens sometimes or AutoCAD was working one week ok and now started with that issue?

One question to AutoCAD 2010 and Windows 7: As release 2010 was not compatible with Win7 without servicepacks ... do you have the service packs installed for your LT?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I have duplicated the issue several times as follows:

1. I uninstall Autocad and reload including Service Pack Number 2.
  2. Upon the first opening of Autocad I create a drawing and perform a "save as" from the drop down menu and give the drqwing a name such as "test01".  All works great.
  3. I now make a change to the drawing and desire to save it again as a different name using the "save as" feature, this is where AutoCad locks up.
  4. The only way to undo the freeze is to go to the Windows Task Manager and Exit AutoCad which shows that it is "not responding".
  5. After AutoCad quits in this manner I can reopen it with all its functionality as long as the only drawing I callup is "test01" from the recent documents list in AutoCad.
  6. If I try to browse and open a different dwg file Autocad locks up and I have to go through the shutdown routine described above.

I was grasping at straws and took my computer back to the place of purchase and had them reformat the harddrive and reload Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, but that did not solve the problem.  I contacted Autodesk and they uploaded a cleanversion of AutoCadLt2010 along with Service Pack 2 thinking I had a bad copy, but it still has the same problems.  On my only XP computer it worked fine.

thanks,

Message 7 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

when you say you start command _SAVEAS do you get the dialog and AutoCAD hangs after you have selected the file and pressed "OK" or did the dialog not appear?

When you have saved file "test01" ... was that saved locally or on a network? What happens if you disconnect your workstation from every network (no cable, no WLAN), can you now work with the save dialog?

BTW: when you have issues with the SAVE function, do you have the same issue with the OPEN function?

A question that is also open: log in to your Windows with a local administrator account, disable every firewall, antivirus and defending software and start AutoCAD then ... same issue?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 8 of 8
johnearcher65

The program opens but all the attributes seem to have disappeared from the ribbons and pallets. When opening individual files the ribbon Model/Paper  A1 A2 etc. doesn't appear until I press plot. I followed the instructions provided to me windows(start)Autocad(10)doesn,t appear/settings/reset defaults I'm getting a bit frustrated as I've tried all avenues. I have the original disk (given to me from my old firm S/N:xxx-xxxxxxxx Product Key:001B1) Don't want to use this as I dont want to lose all my Cad files for various projects. I am a retired Landscape Architect who uses cad to further develope plans. The home Icon doesn't appear on the Start up Panel (Home Insert etc I need help to restore my program !)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost