AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

syk405
Message 1 of 18 (4,362 Views)
Accepted Solution

AutoCAD 2010 - 5 button mouse ISSUES

4362 Views, 17 Replies
08-16-2012 09:03 AM

At work, we upgraded from 2007 LT to the full version of 2010. I was able to migrate all the settings (from what I can tell) EXCEPT my mouse settings. I've been using this same set-up since ACAD version 2005. It's second nature to me. If I have to start using the keyboard again, its a complete deal breaker and I'd rather keep using 2007.

I've spent much of my time researching solutions to this issue. Read through most of the previous topics on this discussion board as well as several other links. Everything I try does not work.

First some background. In the 2007LT, my mouse settings were thus;

ACAD 2007 - button settings.JPG

The buttons on the mouse settings (control panel) were made with random keys, then assigned to the CUI inside 2007. If I used regular keys such as 'Q', '5' or '2' the mouse didnt work. I had to add the CTRL in there.

In 2010, I attempted to do the same thing;

ACAD 2010 - button settings.JPG

However, when I attempt to use the buttons - horrible side effects occur;

ACAD 2010 - button effects.JPG

As you can see, each one does something entirely different than what it should do.

ANYONE know how to fix this???!  Frankly, I do not really care which keys I assign to the mouse, as long as I can get it to work.

Use the recommended solution I posted, redefining the CTRL buttons in CUI you had in your mouse drivers (put back your mouse driver definitions):

CUI command

Select Keyboard Shortcuts in the upper left quadrant

Find and select CTRL+Q accelerator in the upper right quadrant

In the lower right quadrant, change the MACRO entry to a command you want (I can;t tell how you have them matched up), but for example:

^C^C_STRETCH

Click the APPLY button

Click the OK button

Now click on that mouse button, CTRL+Q should be STRETCH command in this example.

I noticed on mine there is no predefined CTRL+5, so you need to create one:

CUI command

Upper Left Quadrant, expand Keyboard Shortcuts and expand Shortcut keys

Lower left quadrant is the commands list, find the command you want to associate with CTRL+5

Drag it and drop it toward the top of the SHORTCUT KEYS list in the upper right quadrant.

Select this newly dragged command at the new location.

Lower Right Quadrant, at the ACCESS KEY(s) entry, click inside the box then the little box on the end of that, when a new pop-up appears use your keyboard and select CTRL+5. it should appear all by itself.

OK out, then APPLY and OK out of CUI.

Test CTRL+5 with your mouse and keyboard.

Davidbrittain11
Message 2 of 18 (4,259 Views)

Re: AutoCAD 2010 - 5 button mouse ISSUES

08-22-2012 09:08 AM in reply to: syk405

Hi,

I donlt have any answers I'm afraid as I have been having a similar problem now for many weeks and I just CANNOT find an answer to it, no matter what I try.

My problem is that I can no longer pan when I press the middle wheel button since I upgraded from ACAD 2008 LT to AutoCAD 2010. Its just maddening as I used to use it all the time. Autodesk help information is rubbish and doesn't address the problem at all, save for saving that MBUTTON pan might help. it doesn't.

I also tried to set up the CUI as you have shown below but despite setting button 3 as 'pan', when pressed it scrolls between open applications so AutoCAD suddenly jumps to Word or an open website!

As you, the middle button does not do what I expect it to do and that it should do - no idea why. Still looking for an answer. Only things I can think of are uninstalling and reinstalling ACAD as I haven't tried that yet and/or buying a new mouse which has its own customisable driver.

One thing you could try is downloading X Mouse Button Control (just Google it) which allows mouse buttons to be customised in infinate ways. It hasn't up till now worked with AUTOCAD well at all but there is a new release so it might be worth me having another look at it.

Anyway, all the best and if I have any luck, I'll let you know.

regards,

Dave

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 3 of 18 (4,246 Views)

08-23-2012 06:04 AM in reply to: syk405

CTRL+Q in AutoCAD is EXIT as defined in the CUI in AutoCAD.

CTRL+5 in AutoCAD is undefined in CUI, does nothing.

CTRL+2 in AutoCAD is ADCENTER as defined in the CUI in AutoCAD.

That's what you defined your mouse buttons to do in ALL programs in Windows, AutoCAD included. That's how you have it all set.

Since you are using 2010 now (11, 12 and 13 here) it's time to ignore the unprogrammed settings and possible quirks that were in play in 2007 and lower, those are dead and gone now.

Either try to define the CTRL+ settings from your mouse in AutoCAD's CUI command to do what you want (Keyboard Shortcuts), or undefine those functions in your mouse driver so that your Mouse Buttons setting in AutoCAD take effect.

You can't have your mouse driver settings and AutoCAD settings mismatched, Mouse Driver will always win.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 18 (4,245 Views)

08-23-2012 06:05 AM in reply to: Davidbrittain11

Dave, what mouse driver are you using and what is the middle button set to? Your mouse driver is in control, not AutoCAD, that's why it does not work.

syk405
Message 5 of 18 (4,241 Views)

08-23-2012 06:15 AM in reply to: syk405

Since you are using 2010 now (11, 12 and 13 here) it's time to ignore the unprogrammed settings and possible quirks that were in play in 2007 and lower, those are dead and gone now.

Either try to define the CTRL+ settings from your mouse in AutoCAD's CUI command to do what you want (Keyboard Shortcuts), or undefine those functions in your mouse driver so that your Mouse Buttons setting in AutoCAD take effect.

You can't have your mouse driver settings and AutoCAD settings mismatched, Mouse Driver will always win.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

So what exactly does this mean? What you're saying makes sense, I just am lost as to what I do in AutoCAD to get the mouse shortkeys to work properly. Do I assign hotkeys to the "Click" mouse menu of AutoCAD or the Ctrl+Click? I'd rather not have to hold control when executing a command.

-Eric

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 18 (4,232 Views)

08-23-2012 09:21 AM in reply to: syk405

You have one of your mouse buttons set to CTRL+5 for example in the mouse driver.

CTRL+5 is predefined in CUI command in AutoCAD to do something.

if you want it to do something else (like one of your mouse button command) you need to change it in the CUI command inside AutoCAD.

It's found in the Keyboard Shorcuts section of CUI command in AutoCAD. This is probably the best approach IMHO.

This has absolutely nothing to do with your mouse right-click button settings in AutoCAD: you have chosen to let your mouse driver control the mouse buttons so it is blocking AutoCAD from doing anything else with the same mouse buttons.

If you want AutoCAD to control the mouse buttons, you need to set the mouse driver to do nothing with these mouse buttons. Not desired if you really and truly use those set mouse button functions in other programs all the time (and you don't live inside AutoCAD 7 of your 8 hours at work every day).

syk405
Message 7 of 18 (4,229 Views)

08-23-2012 10:18 AM in reply to: pendean

I went into my mouse driver and unassigned buttons 4-6. I then restarted my computer, went into the ACAD CUI and assigned the commands I want to the Mouse Click buttons (per image file above). Clicked apply. I then restarted again (just to be sure) and fired ACAD back up. Mouse buttons 4-6 do nothing.

Any more idea's on how to get my mouse commands to work??

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 8 of 18 (4,214 Views)

08-23-2012 01:23 PM in reply to: syk405

Use the recommended solution I posted, redefining the CTRL buttons in CUI you had in your mouse drivers (put back your mouse driver definitions):

CUI command

Select Keyboard Shortcuts in the upper left quadrant

Find and select CTRL+Q accelerator in the upper right quadrant

In the lower right quadrant, change the MACRO entry to a command you want (I can;t tell how you have them matched up), but for example:

^C^C_STRETCH

Click the APPLY button

Click the OK button

Now click on that mouse button, CTRL+Q should be STRETCH command in this example.

I noticed on mine there is no predefined CTRL+5, so you need to create one:

CUI command

Upper Left Quadrant, expand Keyboard Shortcuts and expand Shortcut keys

Lower left quadrant is the commands list, find the command you want to associate with CTRL+5

Drag it and drop it toward the top of the SHORTCUT KEYS list in the upper right quadrant.

Select this newly dragged command at the new location.

Lower Right Quadrant, at the ACCESS KEY(s) entry, click inside the box then the little box on the end of that, when a new pop-up appears use your keyboard and select CTRL+5. it should appear all by itself.

OK out, then APPLY and OK out of CUI.

Test CTRL+5 with your mouse and keyboard.

Davidbrittain11
Message 9 of 18 (4,207 Views)

08-23-2012 02:43 PM in reply to: pendean

Hi Pendean,

Thanks for your raft of info but I'm still none the wiser I'm afraid. When I go to Control Panel and then Mouse Properties (I am running Windows 7), I can get to the following screen which supposedly tells me what mouse driver I am running. BUT the mouse is a basic Dell optical mouse not a Microsoft one. And anyway, I have no option to set what the middle wheel does in the mouse driver. I can't get into the driver anywhere to set up anything - its just installed on the machine and that's that.

Mouse Driver Details.JPG

In Mouse Properties, I can assign functions to the wheel button, (which I assume is when you click the wheel, not turn it) and I have assigned 'middle click' as there is no option for 'pan'. See below:

Mouse properties.JPG

I have also managed to set up a program specific setting for AutoCAD as this is an option in the window I have pasted above, but again I have chosen 'middle click' as there is no 'pan' option, as below:

Mouse properties_specific.JPG

But still when I press the wheel button, it does not pan in AutoCAD. When the wheel is turned it zooms in and out - great. BUT why won't it pan when pressed? Instead it jumps to another open application such as Outlook or Word.

I have also tried carefully to follow your instructions on customising the CUI but I'm afraid I cannot understand what you are saying or how its relevant to getting my wheel button to pan. You seem to be explaining how to use mouse button clicks to replace keyboard shortcuts but that's not what I need - I just need the wheel button to pan when pressed, that's it.

So I am still stuck I'm afraid. Any help you could give would be VERY gratefully received!

regards,

Dave

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 10 of 18 (4,183 Views)

08-24-2012 05:25 AM in reply to: Davidbrittain11

WHEEL setting: try something other than middle-click, that's your problem I suspect. Find the one that works with AutoCAD.

I let Windows run my mouse (Win7 64bit), no issues at all. You are using a 3rd party driver, Microsoft Intellipoint from your screenshot. Not the same thing.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.