AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

MiroslawStachowski8608
Message 1 of 8 (2,607 Views)

Auto CAD 2012 LT poor performance, not responding while open, save, print

2607 Views, 7 Replies
06-26-2012 02:07 PM

Hi,

We use in our company some workstations with many versions ACad from 2000, 2004, 2008, 2011 and the last purchased is brand new PC (Fujitsu Celsius W510, Intel Xeon 4core, 12GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64bit) and AUTOCAD LT 2012.

This is our first message on this forum, because for the first time we can't solve the technical problem with AutoCAD.

We install SP1 and other latest patches for AutoCAD LT.

I tried some solutions from this support forum but the problem still exists.

Problem: AutoCad has slow performance from time to time (looks like I/O problem), and generally the saving process takes about 30 seconds for 1,5MB project file. When opening AutoCad directly or by clicking project "not responding" on the top window appears.

The OS works well with other programs, MS Office 2010, CorelDraw etc.

Sometimes clicking on printing properities leads to freeze an application.

Im going to reinstall OS, but I suppose that the reason is somewherebetween AutoCad nad Windows 7 64bit and this will not change anything.

Thank you for suggestion in advance.

Active Contributor
S.Skinner
Message 2 of 8 (2,596 Views)

Re: Auto CAD 2012 LT poor performance, not responding while open, save, print

06-27-2012 08:40 AM in reply to: MiroslawStachowski8608

Did you install from a deployment or individually? You may want to try one machine with a local installation. Be sure to remove all traces of previous AC versions, even registry entries, temp files, and randomly leftover folders.

You may also want to see if all video cards produce the same results.

I've had many issues with slow 2012. The only way to get proper speed was formatting the HDD on many machines and starting from scratch. This was a drastic solution, but worked.

I changed my licenses from Network to Standalone, and I've encountered far fewer problems. It makes my job more difficult in setup, but easier in the long run.

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 3 of 8 (2,593 Views)

06-27-2012 09:18 AM in reply to: MiroslawStachowski8608

Are the files saved over the network?  If so, work locally and/or implement a solution like Vault. 

Also consider disabling Digital Signature Icons. 

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 8 (2,579 Views)

06-29-2012 06:43 AM in reply to: MiroslawStachowski8608

>>>... has slow performance from time to time ...<<<

You need to figure out what the triggers are at these few times when it happens: a program 'flaw' happens all the time, an OS conflict happens all the time, occasional occurances have triggers that need to be identified at your end.

Start by identifying if it's a time of day, or if it's a sudden surge in user access, or a server app activating/tapping workstations and so on. As otghers suggested, when it happens move files locally and see if it continues to occur or if it's limited to server access.

How old is your Network Switch? Got another 'newer' one you can test with for a small group to see improvments? Did the server change with the new PCs? If not, what is it? Are there remnants of dead links the new PCs are trying to tap on the server (old mapped drives, or newer mapped drives)?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
MiroslawStachowski8608
Message 5 of 8 (2,565 Views)

06-30-2012 02:49 PM in reply to: MiroslawStachowski8608

Thank for you reply,

This is standalone instalation, installed from oryginal media dvd.

There was not any other ACAD version installed, I started oryginal OS, installed Office2010, ACAD 2012 LT, Drivers to ploter HP T790 , HP K8600, Officejet 2600n, AV NOD32 and that is all. NOD32 is not a source of this problem.

I removed all dead link to network places and auto printers. I don't have any network's mapped drives.

I user PerfMon to find what computer do while ACAD performance decreasing. What I noticed is about 5MB/s transfer on Disk, to tmp files (svchost).

I tested hard disk for bad sectors - is OK.

I dont have any active schedules.

I tested many solution (similar problems) from DiscussionGroup but not successfull.

I use Intel on-board graphic card: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD. The problem occures mainly when project has bitmap in the background.

Best Regards

MS

MiroslawStachowski8608
Message 6 of 8 (2,564 Views)

06-30-2012 03:04 PM in reply to: MiroslawStachowski8608

... on the beginning the workstation performance was good, after some months the problems appered more frequent. I can't find a moment in the past when it started and combine it with changes on this PC.

Finally I try format C:. :smileysad:.

Active Contributor
S.Skinner
Message 7 of 8 (2,467 Views)

07-24-2012 08:52 AM in reply to: MiroslawStachowski8608

Do you have ECC RAM? If not, you may want to try it. Also check your RAM cache settings, virtual memory, Windows performance stettings, etc...

You can also change the bitmap to a jpg. This will increase the performance drastically. I use a free tool called irfanview. Great program.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 8 of 8 (2,459 Views)

07-24-2012 11:53 AM in reply to: S.Skinner

Might want to read the Irfanview EULA first - free for private, non-commercial use.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!