Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Array objects with progressively increasing size

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
manu_autocad1
4410 Views, 8 Replies

Array objects with progressively increasing size

Can Autocad automatically make an array of a shape with progressively increasing sizes? For instance, a row of circles with an increasing radius/diameter? 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dmfrazier
in reply to: manu_autocad1

I think something like that could be done with a Dynamic Block, but the array parameters and scaling would probably be fixed.

Other than that, there is no other "built-in" way that I can think of.

Of course, just about anything you can envision or do manually in AutoCAD can be automated via customization.

Message 3 of 9
braudpat

Hello

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

I think you need a Lisp/VLisp routine ...

and either a Dynamic Block either a classic Block with XY Scale changing ...

The Health, Happy New Year, Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
Kent1Cooper

@manu_autocad1 wrote:

Can Autocad automatically make an array of a shape with progressively increasing sizes? For instance, a row of circles with an increasing radius/diameter? 

That would not be difficult.  [It isn't version-specific, so you might do well to ask at the Customization Forum.]  Assuming you're talking only about a straight series [not rows and columns, not circular/polar], I would probably try it not by using Array, but by altering the attached CopyAgain.lsp to include a scaling element with each additional copy.  [It asks for Enter/space to trigger each additional copy, but could be altered to ask for an explicit number of copies instead.]

But before I look into doing so, three questions:

1) Arithmetic or Geometric progression?  In other words, if the size adjustment called for is a 5% increase, the first copy would clearly be made 5% bigger than the original selection.  Should the second copy be 5% bigger than the first copy, or 10% bigger than the original?  [They're not the same.]  Third copy 5% bigger than second copy or 15% bigger than original?  Etc.  It could be made to offer a choice of either.

2) Should the spacing between copies also increase [or decrease, if the size progression is decreasing]?  If not, with progressively increasing sizes, you would presumably often end up with copies overlapping.  Again, it could be made to offer the choice of constant or progressive spacing.

3) What should be the base point around which successive copies are scaled?  The middle of the extents of the selection?  The middle of the edge closest to the previous copy?  If the selection is a Block, its insertion point?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 9
27thofnever

Inkscape is a free software that has a command called Interpolate that will do what you need in a handful of clicks.  Then save as a DXF. 

Message 6 of 9
manu_autocad1
in reply to: 27thofnever

Yea - I was told about Inkscape by one of my labmates as well, but I use autocad a lot and was hoping to learn how to do it on autocad.
Message 7 of 9
manu_autocad1
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Hi Kent!
Great questions! The short answer is that I would like to test out all the variables you mentioned. I was hoping to do rows and columns - however, the columns would probably have the space scaled and the size kept the same. As an example, if the first three elements in the first row are 100um, 200um, 300um (if its an arithmetic progression) the second row would be 200um away from the first, the third row would be 300 um away from the second, etc.

1) I would like to try both, if possible.
2) Yes - as mentioned above, I would like to test variable spacing as well.
3) around the center.

I know I have pretty much asked you to tell me every option that you had mentioned. 🙂 i hope that isn't too irritating. If you recommend I try copyagain, I'll give it a shot. If I struggle through it enough, I should be able to figure that out..
Message 8 of 9
manu_autocad1
in reply to: braudpat

Thanks Pat! Happy new year to you too! I'll give your recommendations a shot. Thanks for your help!!
Message 9 of 9
manu_autocad1
in reply to: dmfrazier

Thanks for your help! I'll give it a shot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost