AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

2 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 1 of 6

Archive a Project

334 Views, 5 Replies
01-03-2013 09:28 AM

Hello,

Could someone please reccomend me the best way to archive and move/rename a project folder? As the new CAD manager for my firm I am going to restructure our entire server as the current structure is very unorganized and inneffecient. Projects date back as far as the 90's and I would like to move them all into an archive folder but also have them still be working files as far as XREF's are concerned. None of the drawings have XREF's that utilize the relative file location feature so when I do move a folder, all of the XREF's must then be updated. This is not an option because I have at least 500 projects that will be moved which would be far too time consuming.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

*Expert Elite*
3,722 Posts
473 Kudos
Post 2 of 6

Re: Archive a Project

01-03-2013 10:47 AM in reply to: dshark1

Do you _know_ where the xrefs are now, for each parent drawing? If they are easy to locate, then you could move them into the same directory as the parent drawing. Then the saved path won't matter if you open the parent drawing sometime down the road.

2 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 3 of 6

01-03-2013 11:09 AM in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for the reply. Most of the Xrefs are in an XREF folder inside the project folder. The current location of a project folder would be as follows:

Network Location>Shared>2012>12-02 Project Name>Xref's>Base>floorplan.dwg

This means that when I move a folder all of its Xrefs move as well so when the root folder (bold and italic) is moved or renamed, none of the Xrefs work.

Valued Contributor
64 Posts
8 Kudos
Post 4 of 6

01-03-2013 01:47 PM in reply to: dshark1

Our office routinely archives to another location and we keep the basic folder intact - just copy the folder to our storage hard drive as is, and we've found that if you keep the folder structure intact, you can right click on the xref name (as if you were going to remap its location) and the drawing finds the xref and reinserts it all by itself most of the time.

Using the e-transmit function of the sheet set manager will take all required files with the set too. Read about it in "Sheets Happen" by Heidi Hewett. This won't work on the 90s era drawings though since sheet sets weren't around then. 

Distinguished Contributor
441 Posts
11 Kudos
Post 5 of 6

01-03-2013 04:59 PM in reply to: dshark1

Check out Start > Autodesk > AutoCAD > Reference Manager

In Windows Explorer

1. Move the project to the archive location
  2. Drop the entire project folder into the Reference Manager (RefMan) Session. Accept the prompt to "Add all xrefs automatically regardless of nesting level. RefMan will scan the folders & subfolders for all dwg and related items
  3. You can either use edit selected path or find & replace to change all the paths.
    Find & Replace can be partial so P:\Project\File.dwg can be altered to X:\Archive\Project\|file.dwg by finding "P:\Project\" and replacing "X:\Archive\Project\"
  4. Apply the changes

Only things to watch

1. RefMan can deal with other pathed items but (to quote the help) "not currently support all files referenced by drawings. Unsupported references include text fonts not associated with a text style, OLE links, hyperlinks, database file links, PMP files, and external references to URLs on the Web."
  2. You can break lots of stuff really fast so back up before doing this and test changes
  3. RefMan will update the files to it's current format (eg 2008.dwg will be saved as 2013.dwg with the current versions RefMan)
Distinguished Mentor
832 Posts
38 Kudos
Post 6 of 6

01-04-2013 12:20 AM in reply to: dshark1

Hi,

when moving projects to archive disk make sure path names is saved (except for disk name of course)

create a special shortcut to access old projects which it is a batch file that set the old mapping network

drives and opens autocad.  on exit restore current mapping drives back.

users should know when accessing archived projects should close the current autocad session and

use the special shortcut 

Moshe

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the future of the Autodesk Community? To participate in this brief usability study, please click here. Your time and input is greatly appreciated!