Did you mean: 

Annotative Text and Leaders

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
GradientWind
13768 Views, 8 Replies

Annotative Text and Leaders

I have a drawing a model and I would like to create some leaders and text to point out street names, etc.. I have multiple paperspaces, each with a different viewport scale.

Up until now, I would put all my leaders and text on the paperspace directly, that way, if I need to change the scale of that viewport, I haven't changed the height of my leaders or text.

Is there a way for me to draw my leaders and have my text in model space, such that when I go to Paperspace and muck about with the viewport scale, it automatically changes the leaders and text height to match my paperspace? So I end up with the same result as if I had done it my old way (see above)?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
nestly2
in reply to: GradientWind

@GradientWind wrote:

Is there a way for me to draw my leaders and have my text in model space, such that when I go to Paperspace and muck about with the viewport scale, it automatically changes the leaders and text height to match my paperspace? So I end up with the same result as if I had done it my old way (see above)?

Yep, that's pretty much what Annotative objects do.   Just pick an Annotative MLeader style, set ANNOAUTOSCALE =4 (just toggle ON the "Automatically add scales" button on the status bar) so annotative objects automatically get a matching scale added when you change the VP scale, and create a few Mleaders to see how they react.

Note: once you get familar with Annotative objects, you probably won't want to leave ANNOAUTOSCALE turned on, because it's too easy to accidentally add unwanted scales to objects, but it's good to leave it on while learning. 

Annotative scaling.gif

Message 3 of 9
GradientWind
in reply to: nestly2

Thank you for the help. I've made some progress. I have some follow up questions.

When I go to my paperspace and choose a pre-selected scale from the Viewport Scale list, my leader and text size accordingly. But when I use my mouse and scroll in and out (zoom), it changes the viewport scale but doesn't update the leader or text size. How come?

As in your video, when I click on my leader, it shows a ghost outline of all the previous scales I seleceted in model space. Why is this, and how do I control it on or off?

In model space, what is the Annotation Scale list anyway? Does it affect the scale of my drawing? When I change the scale in the model spaceAnnotation Scale list, it doesn't affect what I see in my viewport in paperspace. How come?

What does the Automatically add scales... button do? I can't seem to see what its for. Same with Sync Scale Positions.

Thanks again for the help!

Message 4 of 9
nestly2

GradientWind wrote:

When I go to my paperspace and choose a pre-selected scale from the Viewport Scale list, my leader and text size accordingly. But when I use my mouse and scroll in and out (zoom), it changes the viewport scale but doesn't update the leader or text size. How come?

Annotative objects syncronize with the Current Annotation Scale (CANNOSCALE) which is set by using the scale list box in the status bar.  Neither zooming with the mouse wheel, nor using any of the ZOOM commands update the CANNOSCALE, therefore annotative objects do not change.

GradientWind wrote:

As in your video, when I click on my leader, it shows a ghost outline of all the previous scales I seleceted in model space. Why is this, and how do I control it on or off?

SELECTIONANNODISPLAY controls whether alternate scales are displayed in dimmed state when the annotative object is selected.  Change the value from 1 to 0 if you prefer not to see the other scale representations.

GradientWind wrote:

In model space, what is the Annotation Scale list anyway? Does it affect the scale of my drawing? When I change the scale in the model spaceAnnotation Scale list, it doesn't affect what I see in my viewport in paperspace. How come?

In Modelspace, the Annotative scale list only affects the scale that annotative objects will be displayed at, it does not change the zoom factor of Modelspace.

Within a viewport, the Annotative scale list controls the Annoatative scale and it also updates the Viewport scale.  Changing the Annotative scale for a viewport doesn't actually change the zoom factor of the viewport, it changes the VP scale. Although similar in many ways, zooming a view and scaling a view are not the same.  There is no "Viewport" in modelspace, so that's why the objects in MS don't change size when the Annotative scale list is changed.

GradientWind wrote:

What does the Automatically add scales... button do? I can't seem to see what its for. Same with Sync Scale Positions.

It automatically adds a matching scale to annotative objects when the Current Annotative Scale (CANNOSCALE) is changed.

The most important thing to know about Annotative objects is that they are only displayed when they have a scale assigned to them that matches the Current Annotation Scale.  If an annotative object only has 1:1 assigned to it, it will not be displayed at any other scale. Sometimes you won't want every annotative object to be displayed at every scale.  When drawing a house for example, you won't want the dimensions in the kitchen detail to show in the overall floorplan, so the kitchen dimenions will have a scale of perhaps 1" = 1'-0"  but not 1/4"=1'-0".    Inevitablally, at some point you're going to change scales and say "where did my dimensions go" and the answer will almost certainly be that they don't have a scale assigned that matches the current annotation scale.  Takes a little getting used to, but pretty easy with a little practice.

Message 5 of 9
GradientWind
in reply to: nestly2

Thank you for the explanation.

Is it possible to go into my Text and Leaders setup, create a custom setup, and have it permanitly saved so that every time I open AutoCAD, regardless of where the drawing came from, I have the option to use my own Text and Leaders settings? I have tried saving the workspace, but the next time I open AutoCAD, I don't see my custom settings in the ribbon.

Thanks

Message 6 of 9
nestly2

Yes and No

Text styles, mleader styles, dimension styles etc are stored within the drawing, not within AutoCAD settings, nor within the Windows registry.

YES, Custom scripts can be writen to automatically import "styles" from one drawing  to other drawings, but NO, AutoCAD doesn't have an existing method to do it automatically.

The typical solution is to save your custom "styles" in your drawing template so that each time you start a new drawing, the styles are already in the drawing.  Otherwise, you can use Design Center to Drag/Drop styles between drawings the same way you would use Design Center to insert blocks or linetypes from another drawing. 

Be aware however that if a "style" with the same name already exists in the drawing, the existing style won't be overwitten.

Design Center to add Styles.gif

Message 7 of 9
nuwanin008

Untitled.png

Message 8 of 9
nuwanin008
in reply to: nuwanin008

try this way

Message 9 of 9
msalles8P568

@nestly2: How do I fix these annotative leaders to go back to where they belong?

I just opened the drawing and found them this way.

msalles8P568_0-1666203552794.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost